DCA Design Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

DCA Design Interview Questions

Interviews at DCA Design

3.3

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DCA Design in August 2019.

Interview

Submitted an application (CV, cover letter, application form, certificate of education) online and got progressed to the second stage within a few days. Second stage consisted of three logic-based/technical questions. Did not progress to the interview stage.

Interview Questions

• 1. Show mathematically whether it's better to walk or run in the rain.   Answer Question
    • 2. Design a winch system that can be locked using a torsion spring   Answer Question
    • 3. Design a spring-actuation system for dispensing liquid with an increasing force as it empties   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at DCA Design (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in July 2019.

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn, heard back from a recruiter and they sent me 3 engineering problems, mainly to do with torsion springs, pulley systems and spring loaded pressure. After sending that back I got called in for an interview with head of engineering and someone from HR for further technical questions and general interview questions. They were very professional and direct.

Interview Questions

• Calculate reaction forces and bending moment on a beam and draw the graph, also if beam is extruded, what would be a better shape than a square for less deflection.   Answer Question
    • Come up with as many systems as possible in 20 minutes where a block moves vertically 100mm and another block moves 300mm horizontally in either direction and they must move in unison.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DCA Design.

Interview

I met someone from the company at a recruitment fair and was fast tracked through there recruitment process. The interview itself was quite hard and was based on my CV mostly.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DCA Design.

Interview

Sent a cover letter and CV then go asked to send answers to some mechanical design questions they gave me several weeks before the interview which were then very briefly discussed at interview. Really liked the questions as they required creativity and made me think I'd enjoy working at DCA. Interview was also fun, analysing a clamp to see how it worked, and describing as many ways as possible to turn horizontal motion into vertical motion.

Interview Questions

• Describe as many ways as possible to turn horizontal motion into vertical motion   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DCA Design (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

After the initial standard CV + cover letter submission, I was sent a set of conceptual questions on problem-solving, design and engineering principals (to be done on paper, scanned and returned by email). These were not that lengthy and it was quite refreshing instead of the numerical reasoning online tests that you often have to take! The final stage is around a 2 hour in person interview at their offices in Warwick.
    Howard, the one organising the interview process was very responsive and helpful, including moving one of my classmate's interview so she could travel on the same day as me, as well as reaching out to me on Linkedin after I had made a mistake with my phone number!
    Would recommend DCA, looks like a great company to work for, I declined the offer only becasue I had another offer that logistically was in a better location for me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several questions about the design of mechanical linkages.   Answer Question

Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DCA Design (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied through university and then given a face to face interview at the company with two staff members. There were general questions about CV, but there were also technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Design mechanisms to convert vertical to horizontal movement.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DCA Design (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Two pre - interview questions. Interview went over CV and beam bending questions + methods of converting horizontal to vertical motion in a 3:1 ratio. Took 2-3 hours. Parking was available though was not reimbursed.

Interview Questions

• Describe as many ways to convert horizontal to vertical motion in a 3:1 ratio   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at DCA Design (Oxford, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiting agency, apoiment to make a phone interview within a week. Interview was very friendly, mainly about management/leading skills, software planing, different roles in small or big teams, working in-house or outsourcing. I finally did not complete the procedure because accepted an offer from other company.

Interview Questions

• Can you give some examples where you had to use your management/leading skill recently?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DCA Design (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

1 Hour Talking interview, walking through my CV and University Projects, followed by a 45 minute wait in an empty room, followed by a very an older sales manager who wasn't on my team asked me a bunch of example design questions on which we disagreed on the answers.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the many ways in which a cars brakes could be connected,   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DCA Design (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)).

Interview

First round interview consisted of an overview of prior experience followed by several technical questions on mechanism design and beam bending. The interview felt somewhat one-sided, as the interviewer paused infrequently making it difficult to contribute to the discussion without interrupting. Following the interview the decision was communicated slowly and without feedback.

Interview Questions

• Design a mechanism to convert vertical into horizontal motion with a fixed ratio.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.