Asana Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

3.1

1. Featured Interview

SMB Account Executive - German Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (Dublin, Co. Dublin) in August 2019.

Interview

I applied via the company website in early July 2019 and was invited to an initial 30min phone screen with the recruiter:

- General questions about CV
    - Why Asana? Your motivation? Passion and ambitions?
    - Sales experience?
    - Career expectations

Once I passed the initial screen, a Hangout meeting was set up to have a video chat with the Hiring Manager to speak about the role, expectations and some mutual Q&A regarding company, soft and hard skills etc.

The last step was a half-day on-site interview at the Asana office in Dublin where I met people from different departments which I would be collaborating with in the day-to-day business for mutual 30min Q+A sessions.

I also had an interview with the Head of Sales to assess and identify sales skills and gaps as well as another face-to-face interview with the Hiring Manager consisting of 45min role playing and strategy session.

The entire process lasted around 5 weeks - would have been less if it wasn't for the summer break and related absences.

Having been in the extremely fortunate position to have a few offers, I declined the offer I received. Not because of the company or the people but because I saw a slightly better fit elsewhere for what I was looking for.

I would like to thank the entire Asana team and emphasise the transparency and clear structure of the interview process. I felt constantly well informed and cared for throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Past examples of your work achievements / quotas achieved etc   1 Answer
    • Search the web for the 150 most common interview questions and answer them.   1 Answer

18 Sep 2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your in-depth experience interviewing at Asana. We're so happy it was a positive one and we wish you the absolute best in the next step of your career!... More

Lead Generation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

Overall standard and well outlined. Phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with manager, 4 in person interviews, lunch with a co-worker, and then a final call from the head of the team afterward.

Asana really takes transparency to heart, so the recruiter told me everyones opinions on my interviews. Looping up with the team afterward, and the information the recruiter game me was spot on.

My advice to anyone coming into the Asana interview funnel: Ask loads of questions to your recruiter and the people who are conducting the interview. They'll be happy to tell you lots about the company, interview process, and team (more than other companies, trust me).

Interview Questions

• How do you think marketing asana is different from marketing [current company]?
      What is one thing that Asana isn't doing right now that it should be?   2 Answers

7 Sep 2016 – Management Consultant, Recruiting Marketing

Thanks so much for your feedback and advice to future candidates. We're glad you joined the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

I love the Asana interview process. The people at the company made me feel welcome throughout the interview process. Even though I did not get the offer, Asana took the time to give me feedback. During the short amount of time that I was there, I was really impressed with Asana's culture.

23 Jul 2019

We really appreciate you sharing your feedback and are happy to hear you had a great experience!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana in November 2018.

Interview

First was a phone screening with a software engineering manager, then a “take-home” screening which was a leetcode style problem which was timed. After that, I was contacted the next day to move on to the next phase and we set up a video interview (I am not located near the companies HQ in San Francisco, so this was the “in person” portion of the process). The video interview was one hour each with two different interviewers, so two hours total. The interviewers were engineers and the interview consisted of Leetcode style algorithm questions and one more design oriented question. These were done over a google doc page where I could write out pseudo code while I talked my way through the problem. I got stuck on some and the interviewers were very nice in trying to guide me to complete and optimize my solutions. A few days later I received a standardized email that they decided not to continue the interview process with me. I would say make sure you are very familiar with leetcode style questions if you interview here since that was pretty much what the whole interview was based on. Basically no questions about my past experience or soft skills.

Interview Questions

Asana Response

30 Jul 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. The skills and experiences that you have are important to our team, and we apologize that this was not reflected in the interview. Thank... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Asana in November 2014.

Interview

I originally applied through their website, and they reached out to me fairly very quickly. Then, there was an online coding challenge that was somewhat difficult and was completed within 30 minutes. After, there was a phone screen. Finally, there was an onsite interview that consisted of 4 interviews and a coding section.

Interview Questions

• What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

One of the best processes I have seen compared to many companies. It's decently rigorous and they do take extra care before hiring. I had 2 phone calls before the on-site rounds. 2 Phone calls were supposed to be direct screens, had to clear both of them individually. On site, I had a pair interview, a coding test, and one more one-on-one interview. All coding ranging from Data structures, Algos, System Design to OOP, as well as some mathematical stuff. I didn't get past these rounds, had I got one, I would have had one more session of on-site interviews. The interviews were all taken by senior members of the team, but were good insightful questions.

Interview Questions

• Model a 2 player chess game as a OOP system.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

There was an online coding challenge and 5 rounds of onsite interviews. There was lunch, and coding hour on a computer. The people there are very nice and professional. I think most of them are as smart as me, if not smarter.

Interview Questions

• 1. Some algorithm and data structure questions
      2. OO Design question
      3. Database design and optimization   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Online Coding test, then HR contacted me to schedule phone interview. Then I proceeded to an onsite. The HR representative was friendly and did everything pretty quickly and even gave feedback as to why I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Online Coding test - Print array in spiral
      Technical Phone Interivew - BST, LRU, Find nth closest point question
      Onsite: Interviewed with 6 Engineers. 4 whiteboard questions and 3 coding questions   1 Answer

13 Jul 2015 – Management Consultant, Recruiting Marketing

Thank you for submitting feedback on your interview experience, we really appreciate it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Definitely one of the worst phone interviews I have ever had to endure. Unfortunately, I was assigned an interviewer (one of their engineers) who was not only a very poor communicator, but also somewhat impatient, aggressive, and egotistical. Out of the dozens of technical interviews I have done in the past, this one was by far the worst, as it left me feeling small and humiliated.

Granted, I made a couple of mistakes during the interview, but I have never seen another interviewer handle the situation more poorly than this guy. He started to sound frustrated and to lose interest in answering my questions about the company. Worst of all, I don't think said interviewer was aware he was a poor communicator...I had a lot of trouble understanding him, as he couldn't really express himself clearly. How am I supposed to complete the coding challenge when I could hardly understand him? Also, on the parts I did get right, there was no positive feedback; I was grilled until I reached another dead end, which would have been fine if it didn't feel so much like this interviewer basically already had his mind set regarding my candidacy and was just bent on proving himself right.

At the end of the day, this incident is quite an embarrassment for Asana, as it looks like they've failed to train their engineers to conduct interviews with professionalism. This particular engineer's behavior was shockingly unprofessional and contrasted sharply with the values Asana purports to embrace. What a shame.

Interview Questions

Asana Response

28 May 2015 – Head of Talent

Thank you for sharing your experience interviewing at Asana. Your review helped spark a refreshed dialogue around candidate experience here at Asana, and yesterday our co-Founder Justin Rosenstein... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online through their website, about a week later they send me an online coding challenge, I passed because I saw the question on Glassdoor and then was arranged an HR interview and Technical phone screen back to back. HR interview was standard, asked things like your background etc and what you want to get out of most in your next job, then described that once pass the tech phone screen next step would be an onsite interview. During the tech phone screen the interviewer asked exactly the same questions that was posted here. Since I studied all those topics I thought I answered them ok. But received rejection the following week. However the people were very nice throughout the process and the person from HR even offered to provide the feedback from the interview via phone or email.

Interview Questions

• Online Coding Challenge: How to spirally traverse through a matrix?   2 Answers
    • Phone: What is a Binary tree and how to do you check it is a balanced tree?   2 Answers
    • How to design a cache?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, NM (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

first HR phone call for a couple of behavior questions, then technical phone interview for 45 min, onsite after one week for 3-4 hrs. Good company, the next facebook to be

Interview Questions

• 1. serialize XML
      2. sorting a DAG
      3. an array, how to get result of product of each element except for the selected element
      e.g [1 2 3 4 5] query 3, get the result of 1*2*4*5, can't use division
      4. synchronization problem:
      given an ordered list, there are two instructions to the server, e.g. move 2 after 4, reverse 4 and 5, if the server has some delay, how to design the protocol to process these queries   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.