Tiger Retail Limited Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Tiger Retail Limited Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2018

2.6
Tiger Retail Limited CEO Martin Jermiin (no image)
Martin Jermiin
Pros
  • "There are cute products, and the 40% discount is really good(in 8 reviews)

• "I can't say I had any pros whilst working at Tiger(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Such a high staff turnover and the company wonder why(in 6 reviews)

• "Basically your life will revolve around Tiger(in 5 reviews)

"Its never as good as you think it will be."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Tiger Retail Limited part-time for more than a year

Pros

The interview was so positive, words of encouragement for doing your own work outside of the company, and a relaxed atmosphere. Unfortunately the highlight turned out to be the new products coming into the store.

Cons

At the time the biggest issue was the internal fighting among the management. Constant power struggles and fights, it made for a horrible work environment. I was hired on a PT contract, but did full time hours. The hours were also changed every week so you were never sure when you were working and when you were off.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees as much as the management, and take over all happiness into consideration not just making money.

Tiger Retail Limited2016-04-24
  2. "EVER CHANGING"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Tiger Retail Limited full-time for more than a year

Pros

great company culture, large level of independence, opportunities for hardest working, clear and achievable expectations;

Cons

physically challenging, not for lazy and disorganised;

Tiger Retail Limited2018-07-03
  3. "experience"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bath, England

I have been working at Tiger Retail Limited full-time for more than a year

Pros

good management team work appreciated

Cons

problems with pay unorganised long hours

Advice to Management

pay people correct

Tiger Retail Limited2018-02-26
  4. "Sales assistant"

I worked at Tiger Retail Limited part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible with studying Nice co-workers Good work life balance

Cons

Wish progression was easier within the company.

Tiger Retail Limited2017-11-17

"Could be better"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Tiger Retail Limited part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay, if you work there long enough, can be decent and there are lots of opportunities for extra hours. The work colleagues on the shop floor are usually lovely and helpful, you get to give sweets out and make customers smile and the job is an interesting one with visual merchandising opportunities. There are cute products, and the 40% discount is really good

Cons

The culture on the area management level can be extremely harsh and target-obsessed at the expense of everyone's wellbeing. There's a high staff turnover (as the job is hard - you're running around shifting very heavy boxes and hopping on tills and working at a very fast pace, for 8.5-9 hours excluding the break) and the expectations are still sky-high. The Easter half term week had us lose 1/3 of our staff... approximately, including our manager, but our targets were still doubled when we had so few staff. You will often be short-staffed and still expected to be very efficient and get everything done, with the risk of staying behind v late at night if you don't (especially if you're a manager or supervisor, in which case you often won't get paid for that overtime either). If you're on tills and you're short-staffed, you need eyes in the back of your head to manage the tills, restock and replenish the food and campaign sections, ring the bell for colleagues (who have an annoying habit of skiving in the office and not responding), clean up breakages and spillages near you, dodge customers in the very narrow shop corridors and all the while deal with often horrible customers in endless queues because you're too short-staffed to have enough people to help you. On my last shift there I did all this alone while training and helping a flustered girl on her first shift who had been very badly trained by another member of staff. There was only one other person to assist me who was also charged with getting one half of the shop tidied and so wasn't on the shop floor much, and this was on a busy Satuday. The only thing that the managers noted down was that we were ~£150 below target that day. But you'd better not get tired from this, or shifting all the boxes around the shop, because that impacts your "PACE" (one of the company values) and lowers your efficiency, and looks worse on your probation and when the area manager comes to visit and starts inspecting everyone. Also, often the fact that you are a school student (even in exam season) will not prevent the company from wanting you to work quite a lot of extra hours. The enjoyment of your job greatly depends on how nice the managers and assistant managers are. Most were nice, but one person in particular was very hostile and difficult to approach. Another person was also hostile and extremely strict and was forbidden to come back to our store after several work colleagues made statements about his creepiness towards them.

Advice to Management

Area Managers, don't yell at the managers and make them cry just because your targets aren't 100% being met or the shop is doing well, but not making quite as much profit as you want it to. Work alongside us and the shop managers. Also, reduce this temptation to constantly cut the amount of people who are working and then just expect us to bounce back and make up for it right away. Managers, train your staff... better and hire more people when we need them, not months and months later. If we're short-staffed, don't blame us if standards aren't immediately up to scratch, most of the time those under you are doing their best. Please don't take your stress out on us or be unapproachable, or we'll be afraid to ask you for help or to ask for feedback.

Tiger Retail Limited2017-11-23
  6. "Prepare to be undervalued"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Tiger Retail Limited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

uniform not disgusting, music tolerable

Cons

Antisocial working hours for very little pay. HR pun by robots, despite attempts company cannot cover up the fact that you are little more than a cog in the machine to them.

Tiger Retail Limited2017-11-09
  7. "good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Tiger Retail Limited part-time for less than a year

Pros

get to take free stuff that they put in end of season

Cons

pay is not very good

Tiger Retail Limited2017-09-02

"Enjoyable atmosphere, Management could be better."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Tiger Retail Limited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to do visual merchandising as a sales assistant, Always overtime available, Occasionally able to take discontinued stock home

Cons

Management aren't supportive, are cliquey with favourite colleagues, Repetitive store playlist which hasn't changed in years (very annoying when you're there 5+ days a week over a year), Sales assistants have to clean the toilets & store including climbing on the floor cleaning every night.

Advice to Management

A little more professionalism with all of your team, treat everyone equally, don't just give extra hours to your favourites, Hire store cleaners

Tiger Retail Limited2017-08-08
  9. "No Sales Targets"

I have been working at Tiger Retail Limited

Pros

No pressure to reach any sales targets Do not have to constantly badger customers to buy products or ask if they need help Pay is OK Laid back environment and other workers are great

Cons

One of the supervisors kept hassling all of the temporary staff. One of the guys I worked with left because of her.

Tiger Retail Limited2017-07-28
  10. "Deputy manager"

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England

I worked at Tiger Retail Limited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good atmosphere and made friends.

Cons

Low pay. They expect too much. If we don't do target they question why....maybe it's other factors not just store. The in store excellence they introduced is pointless and unfair. Too many changes happening at once. Always short staffed and they work you to the bone. No social life. No holiday from October to January, even through they say holiday is from October to September the following year. No overtime pay so... you end up working for free. Such a high staff turnover and the company wonder why.

Advice to Management

What's the point.

Tiger Retail Limited2017-08-13