Pond5 Reviews

Updated 25 Jun 2020

3.7
Pond5 CEO Jason Teichman (no image)
Jason Teichman
  1. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - QA Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Pond5 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work Extremely friendly work colleagues Good Facilities Good office benefits Flexible work hours/location

Cons

As a smaller company, some people might not like the constant change

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Pond5 full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Talented and fun co-workers - Amazing atmosphere in all offices - Good work is always acknowledged and appreciated - Great employee benefits - Opportunities to travel to other offices - Company's vision and strategy is well communicated across all teams

Cons

Can't think of anything!

3. "Pond5 recommedation"

Current Employee - Senior Creative Partner in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pond5 full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for!

Cons

I can't think of any for this company...

4. "Good People"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Pond5 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at Pond5 for a couple years and I enjoy coming to work every day. People are smart, nice, and dedicated - the New York office is also a good size (~50 people) where I know everyone well. Many people at Pond5 also have creative interests outside the office, which leads to a good work life balance. I've found people to be engaged but there is no expectation to work super late on a weekday to release a product feature.

Cons

The individual offices (NYC, Dublin, London, Prague) can feel siloed. We used to have a global meetup - but I get it, we're a bigger company now and most interactions with the other offices occur via hangout.

March 3, 2020Chief People Officer

So glad that you are still enjoying coming to work- me too! Would love to hear suggestions regarding global communications as we can always improve.

5. "Love the focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Pond5 full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Company is very focused on what it needs to do. 2. I feel empowered to do my job 3. Eng team cranks out amazing stuff (I’m not in Eng ) 4. Everyone tries to genuinely help everyone. Culture club plans cool events that everyone participates in.

Cons

1. We made some org changes (the right ones IMHO), but that is leaving some people unsettled, especially those that left - and I think posting things I have not witnessed on glassdoor. 2. We need to better control the temperature in the conference rooms. Either too hot or tool cold in NY office.

March 2, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback. I hear you on the temperature- it is a work in progress for sure!

6. "Good experience overall"

in New York, NY

I have been working at Pond5

Pros

Flexible work schedule, open office environment, friendly people, global company

Cons

As someone who has been with Pond5 for a few years, the company has had its share growing pains but overall it’s been a great place to work. The recent attacks by former employees are hard to understand or agree with and I am posting to bring balance to the conversation. Criticism about strategy and decision making I think are fair but I don’t think the environment is toxic and I don’t think most others who work here now would agree either.

February 28, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to share feedback. I completely agree with your advice, and in fact culture club is planning some really fun events, so I hope you'll join!

7. "Change is good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Pond5 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People are all really smart, driven. - Diverse culture. For a small company its very global - people all over the world. Lots of different people from different backgrounds -I like the responsibility i'm given. I've been given lots of opportunities to take on more. Probably would not get that at other places

Cons

- You have to be ok working with people in other time zones. Makes communications hard, but everyone tries to make it work - Can feel stressful at times. - Balancing our artist friendly history and the business needs seems hard

February 27, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks for encouragement that we're on the right track! We'll continue to work on improving communication and appreciate your taking time to share the positive feedback.

8. COVID-19

"Absolute Worst Place to work"

I have been working at Pond5 full-time

Pros

Free lunch and free drinks

Cons

Everything other than the free lunch

Continue reading

"Transparent Sexism Awaits at this Exciting Startup!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Pond5 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You may get to travel abroad every couple years.

Cons

On the surface, Pond5 seems like an ideal work environment but sadly you don't need to pick very deep at all to find patterns of inequity and injustice for women and non-white employees. This is just a partial list of what I witnessed in my time at the company: Longtime CFO Tom Crary has been known to play the juvenile game of rating women's physical attractiveness, asking people in the lunch room to assign women scores of 1-10. If this had taken place in a room full of men, it would still point to a broken company culture; the fact that it repeatedly happened in front of women in their own workplace, and never led to any concrete action on the part of HR despite numerous filed complaints shows how deeply Pond5 devalues women. Gossiping (in a public space, once again) with a group of men about a female colleague who had recently quit, Crary said she didn't have much to offer, but did have nice "assets." His all-male audience laughed out loud. He not only rejected but openly mocked expense reports for women's team building outings, and bullied the employee who submitted them. Tellingly, the company yet again took no measures to remedy the situation or address the underlying issues that allowed it to happen in the first place. In spite of this well-documented pattern of behavior, Crary continues to be a key decision-maker on salaries, raises and bonuses. As someone with inside knowledge on compensation, I know that Pond5 paid women and men unequally for identical work. This acceptance of bullying and inequity penetrates into the middle and lower ranks, and is endemic in the culture of Pond5's middle management: Example 1: a music director was given to frequent racist outbursts, shouting "these [expletive] Russians, these [expletive] Ukrainians" and ranting about how "these [expletive] people from Eastern Europe" are all fraudulent. At the time, this Director sat next to Eastern European colleagues in the office and managed a team based in Eastern Europe. When asked to stop by one of his Eastern European coworkers, he treated the situation is a joke and continued to do it. Example 2: a product director once casually mentioned the "n word" at the lunch table, with no consequence. This person managed a team with non-white employees. It is clear that in each of these cases the c-levels and directors have priority over lower level employees and that they can reasonably expect to walk away from these situations without facing any consequences or serious pressure to moderate or change their behavior. When confronted with this, Pond5 will tout its "global" team, which includes highly underpaid team in Prague and Dublin. In short: if you are a woman, and especially if you are not white, be wary of accepting an offer from this company. While at first sight it may seem like an exciting and creative organization, you will be underpaid and consistently made to feel like you are worth less than your male counterparts. If you complain even in the most professional of ways, you can be sure the side of the higher-up will be taken.

February 26, 2020Chief People Officer

While we're open to constructive feedback, these statements are hurtful and unfounded. Through our words and our actions, we place great value on a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and professional environment. We have demonstrated no tolerance for behaviors that don't align with these values. In our last engagement survey, 91% of Pond5ers reported feeling included, 95% reported having a positive relationship with colleagues, 88% reported trust our leaders, and 89% shared that managers care about them as a person. We are proud to be part of BuiltinNYC's Best Mid-Sized Companies to Work for as well as Weatherfront's list of career-launching companies for 2020. I encourage any employee (or in your case past employee) to contact me or to reach out anonymously to our PEO's employee advocate at 415-937-9299 to discuss any concerns. I can assure you that we take seriously and investigate any complaint that is raised. While we know we can always improve, and we invest heavily to do so, we are proud of the diverse, multicultural, inclusive organization we have built and the people that make Pond5 a great place to work.

"Deplorable Workplace for Women"

I worked at Pond5 full-time for more than a year

Pros

No pros to share for this place

Cons

HR constantly heard complaints about gender inequality from several female staff members for several years, and nothing was ever really done to take care of the root issue. In this day and age, it's unfathomable that a company is allowed to continue to hire , employ, and congratulate men who are disrespectful at all levels of staffing - from senior management to jr level- this company needs to be held accountable for it's awful actions.

February 26, 2020Chief People Officer