Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.9
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings
Pros
Cons
  • "and eventually they will be let go(in 53 reviews)

• "The SLC call center is not like the Netflix you see on TV or in the media(in 41 reviews)

"How much does a functioning human cost?"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Paycheck - So many good people - Such a great service - Hope

Cons

I have been working for a year at Netflix. I've seen what was supposed to be very mature people, sharing absolutely almost no contact that anyone would qualify as "human". Sure, that sounds hyperbolic, let me develop (and maybe cherry-pick a little). Have you heard about our culture? The one about giving candid feedback? - I have seen people complaining of behavior they literally demonstrated themselves in... the following days. But I have also seen these feedbacks resulting in tears both in the eyes of HR persons or fellow engineers. How human does that sound? Have you heard about our culture? The one about not tolerating brilliant jerks? I have nonetheless seen angriness and frustration, expressed in private, public and meeting. People rejecting new ideas by default, like, any ideas they wouldn't have worked themselves on for days wouldn't count. Even if those ideas are from the best examples in the industry or academics. How many publications/contributions have you seen from Netflix to computer science in general? How does it compare against any other company of that size in the Bay Area? Can you imagine either the real insecurity (x)or the lack of innovation that could lead to this situation? Except for a few managers, directors or VPs feeling free enough to behave at work in the same way than how they live, almost every engineer I have been interacting with, have shared as little as possible about their private life. The rare exceptions of interpersonal exchange ends up around some sort of competitive behavior: Who is the most geeky, sportive, owns the fastest car/biggest house/visited the strangest place. I've heard workaholic people complaining about ambitious peers who were over-managing, over-working to get even more work to do after. I feel like we're past workaholism at this point. Maybe there are a lot of shy people! Maybe there is a culture of fear, not only of being fired, but also a fear of interacting with people going to be fired. Maybe it's all in my head, maybe people giving 5 stars to their experience here don't care the human aspect of a company. And maybe they're right. What about your crush, your fears, your desires for the future, your appetite for life? I've been blessed to work in enough large companies to know that the behavior that I'm seeing in Netflix is not a healthy one. I've also been lucky enough to work in other industries more socializing than tech and I can tell that Netflix has a lot to do on that side, and off-sites or team meeting won't solve that problem. I am afraid about the tragic, but inevitable consequences of the ways people operate in this company: I guess that the day the worst will happen, it will be addressed in an impersonal memo by Reed; followed-up by 1 or 2 reminders during offsites. Possibly commented by HR in a Q&A document. And move on. This company seems as reactive in its management of people as it is proactive in its business operations. I still work at Netflix though, not only for the paycheck, but because I hope. I hope it will change. The needed change can't happen from a candid feedback, a Q&A, or only from inside. Change has to come from everyone, including people who take time to read comments like this one. Netflix has so many good people and offers such a great service. As a curious Netflix employee reading this review: think about your past, isn't there a big human thing that you would love to feel again in your current company that you've felt in the past? As a candidate: think about what would be a good question to ask to that HR partner once your package is almost here to be offered to you, think about that comment you make at the end of an interview when you're being asked by an engineer: "Do you have any question for me?" What Netflix needs is an inception, something that anyone and everyone would think about after leaving the call or the room they were sharing with you. Ask yourself, and then the others, the question you should ask if you think you want to spend a good amount of your life and energy in the place you're applying for. - Will I learn and contribute to the knowledge of other's? Even outside the company? - Will I see emotional responses from my peers? Will that be for other reasons than being fired or bluntly criticized? - Will I find a friendly environment that will nurture my appetite for life? - What is the amount of emotional interaction (celebrating, sharing, playing) to expect from a company whose service is the best to "entertain"? - Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Advice to Management

Ask yourself those questions

Netflix2018-09-20

"Netflix is not for everybody"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part about Netflix is that they try to pay 20% more than everybody else, so the compensation is good. They are not shy about spending money, so travel is business class, you'll get a new MacBook Pro every year, etc. The people there tend to be very nice, the catered lunch is delicious, and so forth. While there is still a lot of action in Los Gatos building the technology (although arguably it is... becoming mature, as streaming is a commodity), the real drama is in Los Angeles, relating to content.

Cons

Netflix has very strange politics, because people's jobs are at the whim of their manager. In other words, if a manager decides that a particular report is no longer a "star," he or she will get a package. So, given that employees are not stupid, there is a lot of kissing up, resulting in a lot of comedy. Netflix believes in "360 feedback," but everybody I know only does that to their peers, and they become very... political with their management chain.

Advice to Management

It's creepy when management sends out letters to their reports that read, "today is X's last day at Netflix and I fired him/her because of...."

Netflix2019-05-23
  3. "Stimulating, energetic environment"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Culture, Feedback driven, and test, learn share environment

Cons

Social relationships influencing management decisions instead of relying on individual merit and qualifications

Advice to Management

Diversity of thought

Netflix2019-12-03
  4. "Great place"

Current Employee - Costume Coordinator

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

No pros other than long hours

Cons

Pay well, good benefits and nice people

Netflix2019-12-01

"Good working environment"

Current Employee - Manager, Physical Production in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits Freedom and responsibility Great colleagues

Cons

Highly demanding and competitive Long hours and crazy schedules

Advice to Management

Special effort on cross functional work

Netflix2019-11-15
  6. "Good People, Cheap Company"

Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

creative and inspiring people, and really amazing projects

Cons

management isn't great, and the company doesn't disclose enough to the shows who it employs

Netflix2019-12-03

"Great culture, amazing people. Unstable environment"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Amsterdam

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great colleagues Great atmosphere Great challenges Great salary

Cons

Unstable. Everything changes every week

Netflix2019-11-14

"Amazing company for growth"

Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exposure to a lot of interesting challenges. No day is the same. A lot of room for professional and personal growth. Some amazing colleagues who work selflessly and make the team an awesome place to contribute to.

Cons

Long hours. Priorities change frequently. Constant pivoting can lead to change fatigue. Not everyone embraces the company values the same way. Some people take advantage of the 'freedom' part of Freedom and Responsibility. Culture differences between LA and LG offices.

Netflix2019-11-09

"Producer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

The culture is real.

Cons

As the company grows bigger, there are times where the information from leadership does not get cascaded in time.

Netflix2019-11-08

"High Standards, High Performers"

Current Employee - Technical Research Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

* The environment is fast-paced and constantly changing - you'll never find yourself bored, and you will always find there is more to learn. * The perks and compensation are top-of-market. * Communication is open and regular. * Management are all very talented, thoughtful leaders. * An environment full of high performing individuals, all of whom are dedicated to doing great work.

Cons

Not many for me, but the culture is not for everybody. Netflix is very feedback-oriented: they will tell you early and often when you could have done something better. And they expect you to do the same for them. Some people are not accustomed to handling this kind of constant, direct honesty.' They also do not keep dead weight. If you are not succeeding, they will tell you, and they will give you the tools you... need to improve. If you cannot improve, and they've invested too much in trying to get you to where you need to be, then they will find someone else. Again, this is actually really great for those who can keep up and appreciate being surrounded by talented people. It's not so great for those who underperform.

Netflix2019-10-31