NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Reviews

4.3
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Director Michael Watkins
Michael Watkins
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay for a software engineering internship(in 17 reviews)

• "there are no cons to this company(in 14 reviews)

1. "Exciting Work, Good Leadership, Low Salaries"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

JPL is one of the very few places in the world where you can work on exciting and rewarding space missions on a daily basis

Cons

Since JPL is an FFRDC, we are tied to the federal leadership at NASA level and higher up. The does not seem to be an overall/long term vision and the vision keeps changing, leaving JPL to scramble to offer relevant work. Since we are tied to Caltech for our management, Salaries are not very competitive and raises are very low or non-existent. There are no bonuses or stock options

2. "perfect"

Former Employee - enseignant chercheur in New York, NY

I worked at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory part-time

Pros

I loved it, I recommend it to everyone. working at NASA is amazing

Cons

There aren't any it is a great place to work

3. "Good Job"

Current Employee - Engineering Graduate Student II in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible good environment good experience helpful coworkers interesting work

Cons

Lots of paperwork hoops to jump through

4. "Great company overall, politics can be heavy-handed."

Current Employee - Enterprise Project Manager in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Good employee development, team building. Flexibility in working hours/condition.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to maintain as missions and senior management continuously demand more of everything. I find myself working nights and weekends very often.

5. "If you want to help explore the solar system using robots, this is where you want to be"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Working on one of a kind missions to explore the solar system and beyond with smart, hardworking coworkers. JPL feels like a college campus; you can arrange to have a lot of meetings outside, looking at the mountains (though not in the heat of the summer). Good work-life balance. The lab can be exceptionally supportive to employees who are having major life issues....generally if you've built up street cred and are known to be productive. On the technical side, a large range of career paths and job types, though some success is the luck of being in the right place at the right time.

Cons

Missions get cancelled, mission proposals get turned down. Workload can be overwhelming at times -- before delivering a proposal, or before major reviews, or leading up to/during critical mission events (e.g. launch or going into orbit around [fill in name of planet]. Pay is OK but not at tech company levels; newer employees and some older ones have a tough time with housing. Parking is horrid, the cafeteria is meh.

6. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Robotics Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time

Pros

endless amount of very interesting work

Cons

los angles expensive and quality of living low

7. "Doesn't get much better"

Current Employee - Engineer III in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/life balance, ability to work on different projects, high level of public interest, sincere efforts to improve the lab, RDO Fridays

Cons

large government agency bureaucracy, salary closer to industry average than industry leading

Continue reading
  8. "Great company but very limited career growth"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Pasadena, CA

Pros

I have been working for JPL for over 20 years and its a great environment for project orientated jobs. Most of co-workers spend a whole life career. Great benefits if you have stayed for a long.

Cons

I found it's very hard to get a career advanced and not too much job growth and promotion.

Continue reading

"good environment to grow"

Current Employee - Junior Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

mentors encourage you to learn on the job and provide you access to resources you probably wouldn't get in industry (i.e. you can get a masters while working)

Cons

less organized than you would expect, and often unrealistic workload

Continue reading
  10. "Great place. Love the food. Amazing benefits."

Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Food's ok. Love the benefits though. Love California too.

Cons

You're working for a government agency.

Found 511 reviews