Cover image for Ekos

Ekos CEO Josh McKinney
Josh McKinney
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not the best place to work

19 Aug 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall the company seems great. The office is cool and fun.

Cons

They ramped up hiring for funding but didn’t actually need as much of a sales team that they had. The environment was very toxic on the sales side.

Ekos Response

Thank you for the feedback. Changes have been made within the sales organization in recent months, including bringing on a new and experienced senior leader and revising compensation plans and territories. We are continuing to engage with our sales team directly to hear their feedback and set them up for success.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company

12 Jun 2022 - Digital Marketing Executive in Lucknow
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Ambiance Work culture Good working Environment Professionalism Potential for growth

Cons

Salary Colleagues Too much work No salary on time Office Politics

Ekos Response

We believe this review may be intended for a different company named EKOS LED based in India.

3. Join the Ekos team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

If you're excited about growth & change, Ekos is for you!

14 Feb 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ekos has a strong vision and opportunity to own the market. It is a really exciting time to be working for a company that is growing fast and making an impact for our customers. Now with our Series B investment, we have even more resources on our side to help take the company to the next level. Ekos has wonderful people - intelligent, hardworking, and fun. I'm constantly impressed with the ideas my colleagues come up with and their drive to make it happen. And, they are also great people to enjoy a drink with during beer/beverage Friday. I find the work/life balance at Ekos to be superb. I think each team has its own culture and expectations, but as a whole, the company prioritizes taking time for yourself and finding a way to get your work done and meet your goals while balancing your personal life in a healthy way. I have complete control over my schedule and am able to make use of unlimited PTO without any question or judgment.

Cons

Ekos has grown and changed a lot over the past few years. This change is not for everyone. High-growth SaaS companies are exciting, but can also be challenging at times with changing priorities, new team structures and teammates, growing pains, tight deadlines, and more. Personally, this is why I love working at Ekos because these challenges excite me, but it is not the right environment for people who want a lot of structure, don't want to be held to high standards, or get frustrated by change. As with most SaaS companies, we have room for improvement with our product. It can be frustrating at times, but we've made big strides in the past few years and are looking to grow our product and engineering teams so we can do even more this year. But even with the challenges, we still have a superior product in our competitive set.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Ekos Response

Hi, we're so glad you're enjoying working with us! You're right, change is hard, but can also be exciting! We have had exceptional growth these last few months and continue to focus on our product and our employees and making Ekos the best place to work. Thanks!

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Ekos growth

11 Jan 2022 - Product Owner in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO and encouragement to use it from all managers, VPs and C suite on product and technology. Great customers, kind coworkers, and an awesome office life. Fast-paced and data-driven. A positive and collaborative product and technology relationship. Awesome vision for both the company and product which provides engaging opportunities. Innovations in the technology strategy are moving the product in a more stable and performant direction.

Cons

The team is improving at estimating deadlines, it can be challenging, but management is ALWAYS reasonable when a deadline is missed Growth can be hard, new people, new talent, new dynamics, being at Ekos today requires being open to change and new ways of doing things.

Ekos Response

We are glad you shared your experience! Growth can be uncomfortable, but we agree that being open to change will help us all be successful in the end.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee

Toxic

13 Feb 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Craft beer customers are great people. Loved working with them.

Cons

Total toxic culture. CEO is making bad hires on the leadership team, and the good people have left or been run off. Others have mentioned, and it’s true, employees join and leave within a few months when they realize it’s all fake. The “Best Places To Work In Charlotte” award is nonsense. Employees are begged to vote in those things by the marketing team. I know the HR person is just doing her job, but asking here for people to reach out to you is just another flavor of the Ekos b.s. I talked about the issues with my manager. I know others talk about the problems in exit interviews (when they happen). Nothing happens except more support for the people making the place terrible

Ekos Response

Hi, thank you for sharing feedback on your experience at Ekos. As a growing company, we have had our highs and lows, but we're always trying to improve and learn from our mistakes. A good example of our continued improvement came out of our most recent employee engagement survey where the overall score was very positive. Sure - we still have some areas to improve, but we're here for it!

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Beer to keep you docile

6 Jan 2022 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting startup culture Working in the brewing industry is pretty great Generally fun and happy co workers Exciting hotfixes and live editing of production databases At its core, its a great company, it just lost its soul when it received funding and everything became about money.

Cons

Tech debt so deep you cant see the bottom. Constant pressure to meet totally unrealistic deadlines (like multiple years off target unrealistic) , while creating even more tech debt along the way. Constant promises about how 'after we do this' 'when this gets done' 'then we will do x' all followed with more deadlines and more unrealistic goals. You will slowly loose pride in your job as you ship features that are known to be buggy out into production just to meet these deadlines. No automation, or any CICD, you will experience extreme toil on a daily basis. Massive lack of any automated testing, means new features are constantly breaking old ones, bugs you fixed last week will return as quick as they came. Lack of analytics and blind assumptions drive product development. As an engineer here you will not experience much career or knowledge growth, everything revolves around how many features you can cram into a sprint on the existing dated tech stack. I honestly could never recommend working for this company unless you were in marketing or sales. The engineering team is treated rather poorly and is provided little support in terms of hardware software and learning resources. I would also like to add you should consider heavy bias in the reviews from 10/15-16/2019 these are right before the company announced its series A funding and the management was asking all happy employees to post reviews so the company looked good on its new Glassdoor profile.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Oppurtunities

21 Dec 2021 - Business Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere and welcoming culture.

Cons

Generally below average salaries but work life balance is worth more than that.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Ekos Response

We appreciate you sharing your feedback! Work / life balance is one of our core values, it’s super important to us that our employees make time for their life outside of work. That’s why we offer unlimited PTO and require that employees take a minimum of 10 days of vacation each year!

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Goodbye social life; hello slave drivers.

8 Jan 2022 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free beer, very casual atmosphere, and coworkers are great. Work can be challenging, in a good way. Potential to visit breweries and other craft makers and learn their industries and needs Remote or hybrid work accomodations.

Cons

Management and the leadership are all about results irregardless of your situation. Deadlines make no sense and are unreasonable. Being a subject matter expert means nothing, they think they know better (expect rework) One of the "pillars" is about crafting a balanced life, and even encouraged from the CEO to take time off for your health (mental, physical, etc) as well as for your family. But they don't care, especially because it disrupts results.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Misleading culture; scrambling leadership

12 Nov 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome craft beer on tap. Fun and nice people in many departments. Good company merch. The customers are the best. It's awesome motivation building things for them.

Cons

Inexperienced product team doesn't know what they're doing and many of them take offense at anyone who does. Leadership flounders regarding direction and planning. For example, they didn't start planning for 2021 until like Nov 2020. They want something done by a certain date but they only bring it up to the teams 3 months ahead of time and they still refuse to de-prioritize anything else. This puts an enormous burden on individual contributors to get unreasonable amounts of work done. Unlimited PTO yes, but you'll be working late nights often enough that it doesn't feel like it. But it's ok, because it's all for a good cause and such a good company. /s Also, if you don't have a cheery attitude 24/7 you'll be labeled as a problem, even if your concerns are legitimate.

Ekos Response

Thank you for sharing about your experience at Ekos. Being a young company, we’re learning from every win and loss with the goal of being better in the long run. We’re sorry to hear that you felt unheard. Last year we implemented pulse surveys in addition to our town hall meetings to offer more avenues for employees to share feedback with us. These surveys are helping us more quickly identify areas of opportunity among our employees so we can continuously improve our overall employee experience.

11. 4.0
    Former Employee

A great place to work

7 Sep 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to sell software to the guys that make beer, how can you get better than that?

Cons

The culture isn’t everything it says it is

2 people found this review helpful

Ekos Response

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear your employee experience hasn’t always been a positive one. Navigating COVID has been a struggle for many organizations and we had to make decisions in very uncertain circumstances. As the pandemic has continued, we’ve listened to employee feedback and have made adjustments to our remote work policy to best serve our employees and our business. I’d like to more fully understand the issues you raise, would you be willing to reach out to me privately for a confidential conversation? Thanks Jess Solomon, HR Generalist.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews