Cloudera Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Nov 2, 2019

3.5
Cloudera CEO Martin Cole
Martin Cole
Pros
  • "very chilled out work environment, work from home is never a problem, supportive management, awesome pantry, free lunch(in 25 reviews)

• "Has a GREAT reputation in the Big Data world(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with all start-ups that go IPO, there are some growing pains and there is a need to roll up sleeves(in 31 reviews)

• "Too much work, work life balance not very well(in 25 reviews)

1. "On the rise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture to be impactful. You can make actual change. We’re still at a size where you can be visible and actually be seen for what you do and achieve. We’ve seen the challenges following on from the merger and have actual realistic plans to rectify this. CDP is going to be a game changing platform. Investors are finally seeing the pros and that’s evident in the raise in recent days. I’m genuinely excited about what... we’ve been doing in EMEA lately. We have a buzz again! We took time to figure out how to fix what wasn’t working. There are still some things to work on for sure but from the top down with our interim CEO Marty to the dedication and execution of the people on the front lines anything is possible!

Cons

Some decisions took longer than I might like but in all honesty we now have a realistic plan. We need to continue to drive cultural integration across our teams.

Advice to Management

Keep going as we have for the past few months. The execution is coming through and I think the majority are HUGELY excited about what we’re doing.

Cloudera2019-08-01
  2. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Happy hour, flexible working, never dull, great teams & great leaders

Cons

There has been a lot of change at the top recently which has scared people initially but this was for the best.

Advice to Management

More nights out

Cloudera2019-07-22
  3. "Great Place to grow and learn"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Genuine Enterprise Software Company Ambitious and investing in the future Cares about the people who work here Demands you invest in yourself to improve your contribution to the company More than fair comp

Cons

Mergers are always tougher then everyone thinks they will be, it going to take time

Advice to Management

Focus on delivering on the potential of the business. Keep moving forward with pace

Cloudera2019-07-09
  4. "On the cusp of GREATNESS!!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Cork
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Let's be real here; we have experienced alot of change but this is expected with a merger. The great news is.... the foundation is strong and we are in GROWTH mode!!! This week Scott Aronson and Stephen Line are holding a Leadership Workshop in Cork and the buzz is electric. We are laser focused and every team knows what their part is; so we are ready to execute with a renewed urgency. We have an inspiring... leadership team who have a clear vision and WE are going to be the game changer for our customers. With over 70 open roles in EMEA; we want the best people on our team to ensure we continue to build momentum in the market. Learn more about our exciting journey today... check out our careers page!

Cons

We have lost some good people but that happens with a merger and it is unfortunate. However, that opens the door to opportunities for other great people to inspire and lead us on the next stage of your journey - Cloud! We are fast moving and it is hard work but I love a challenge and thats why I am part of team Cloudera!

Advice to Management

Let's continue to accelerate this culture of ownership, urgency and execution. There is a new buzz in the field and behind the scenes, so let's show the analysts that they under estimated us!

Cloudera2019-06-13

"For those who DO see the forest for the trees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bright Future - Cloudera is uniquely positioned to enable the world's largest enterprises to industrialize machine learning and artificial intelligence. We are enabling them to also break the shackles of public cloud providers by allowing them to switch between clouds when it is financially convenient for these enterprises. If you can understand the impact of these two pillars, you can understand to value Cloudera... will drive in the long term. Earning potential - Being in the Cloud space, Cloudera has to pay up, specially in essential functions: Engineering, Field Engineering, Sales. Big enough, without the "big company" feel - Cloudera has around 3,000 employees, but has the potential to feel like a 1,000 employee company. This means you are still able to easily network and create your own career path with enough proactive effort Confidence from top Investors - Carl Icahn believes we are undervalued. So much so that he has bought almost 20% of Cloudera stock. An agreement has been reached that for 2 board members from Icahn, he will maintain his current stake. This is the best of both worlds New product release that is set to disrupt the market - time will tell the end story, but early signs show good promise

Cons

Not for the faint of heart - The Enterprise AI/ML space is still developing, not anywhere near maturity yet. There is constant change, and one must be willing to buckle up, focus on the mission at hand, and expect the bumps of the ride. Some processes are still being flushed out - Post merger with Hortonworks, the company doubled in size overnight. This inorganic sudden growth in company size meant that there was... a delay in a lot of process implementation that a normal company would go through over time. If you're not one to take ownership, you won't make it - don't expect anything being handed on a silver platter. The promotions, the recognition, the "insert anything I believe I'm entitled to" will not simply come your way. Everyone has to prove their worth, build their brand, prove themselves, and earn it. If this doesn't jive with you, you won't jive with the culture.

Advice to Management

Going into next year, and with the merger behind us, it's time to focus. "The Merger" is no longer a viable excuse for anyone to not get it together. We've managed to hold it together through that gauntlet, so at this point, anything is possible. Don't underestimate the power of culture, diversity, and empathy. A lot of much needed changes have been happening, now it's time to prove that the choices top leaders have... made were the right choices. And if they weren't, course correct and move on, quickly. We all want to believe, a lot of us DO believe, help us continue to do so.

Cloudera2019-10-25
  6. "Excellent and best employer so far"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cana, VA

I worked at Cloudera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent and best employer so far

Cons

as of the moment none

Cloudera2019-10-29
  7. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities & great place to work.

Cons

No Cons. As of now all good about the Company.

Cloudera2019-10-28

"Still finding their way..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer (IC4) in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Excellent work/life balance -Great people -Exciting mission -Making the world a better place -Competitive pay

Cons

-Stock tanked hard after the merger -Many people, especially high ranking or high-merit folks, have left -Culture in flux after merger -Ongoing reorganizations and unreliable management -Legacy Cloudera (pre-merger) had a culture of transparency, but the new management is dismantling that piece by piece and everyone notices.

Advice to Management

You *have* to do more to keep people and more to backfill people after they leave. The merger happened in record time, but stop acting like it's over, it's still in progress. My long-term outlook for company is still positive, but I worry about execution given the recent spike in turnover.

Cloudera2019-11-03
  9. "Best Organisation to Work for"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Operations Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good benefits - Excellent Work culture - Company works for the Employees - Good learning initiatives by the Organisation

Cons

There are no cons as such

Cloudera2019-10-11
  10. "Silicon Valley Arrived To Budapest"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Budapest

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a company made by engineers, for engineers. We've got the freedom to act and the responsibility and chance to deliver. I enjoy working here for a couple of years now.

Cons

Merging w/ Hortonworks takes time and nerves. Especially when it comes to all the different cultures of both companies.

Advice to Management

Workplace diversity has to be in front of the mind. The managers that can't live up to the values are best kept away.

Cloudera2019-09-29