Benjamin Moore Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 16 Nov 2019

3.4
Benjamin Moore CEO Dan Calkins
Dan Calkins
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Team Support, Co-Curricular Activities, Lots of Events(in 99 reviews)

• "Good work/life balance depending on what team you are on/your work, and your manager(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not sure if upper management understands the hurdles that need to be overcome to execute business plan(in 25 reviews)

• "Leadership and senior management is sneaky and not transparent whatsoever(in 18 reviews)

1. "Benjamin Moore/franchise"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hamilton, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Benjamin Moore part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the customers are amazing and super nice and the availability is amazing

Cons

Can be stressful, lots of heavy lifting, short staffed

Advice to Management

He less picky when hiring, put lots of effort in training

Benjamin Moore2019-11-16

"Depends on what you are looking for"

Current Employee - HQ - Manager in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Some good changes happening now with new CEO -Free lunch -Nice people -Excellent products and colors to represent - the best on the market -Strong and recognized brand and company heritage -Good time off (around 18-22 days -including holidays- based on how long you have been here) and 5 sick days -Standard benefits package -Reasonable compensation -Good work/life balance depending on what team you are... on/your work, and your manager -Berkshire Hathaway company -Company supports independent retailers, mom-and-pop hardware stores across the US

Cons

-A few really smart and driven people, but unfortunately more mediocre talent just here for the paycheck, not engaged or enthusiastic about anything -Outdated HQ, building is a mess -Long commute times / awful traffic (unless you live nearby) -Archaic technology - lack of effective digital tools, both in HQ and in the field -HR dept is sub-par when it comes to growth tracks, performance reviews and goals,... employee retention, development, training, and engagement -Growth opps typically only present themselves during re-orgs and restructures, which are unfortunately frequent, but feel chaotic -Lack of role clarity -Bandwidth spread very unevenly across different teams and employees (high performers are buried and working overtime while under-performers are seen socializing every hour by the coffee machine then head for the door at 4:59) -Very inconsistent expectations and responsibilities for role levels across the organization (mgr, sr mgr, director, etc.) -Need improvement when it comes to diversity and women in leadership -High turnover in Mktg dept

Advice to Management

-Keep lines of communication open - Town Halls are great, keep them going, make them more interactive - and keep doing 1-on-1 check ins with your strong talent, no matter which dept or at what level - hold onto them and INVEST in their growth as there aren’t many left anymore -Insist HR implement more useful performance review process and create standardized roles and development plans for all managers to... use -Don’t be afraid to grow with the times - flexible hours or WFH policy, digital tools and resources, better culture, upgrading facilities - these are all becoming expected, especially by the worthwhile and valuable talent you need to hire and keep if we are going to make it

Benjamin Moore2019-10-13

"Awesome place to work"

I worked at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Awesome $$$ good paying job money

Cons

Sporadic schedule switched around a lot in beginning

Advice to Management

Management is good

Benjamin Moore2019-08-19

"A great company that’s getting even better."

Current Employee - Director in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve been at Benjamin Moore a few years now and I’m very glad that joined the company when I did. We have a mix of a fun, family culture blended with drive to win. Our leadership is helping create a climate in which the customer is squarely at the center of all we do.

Cons

Benefits could be better. Silos are being torn down, but some remain.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path!

Benjamin Moore2019-07-27

"It is great company to work with"

Current Employee - Digital Analytics Specialist

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people to work with

Cons

Nobody leaves the company. Everybody mostly retires in this company

Benjamin Moore2019-08-04

"Great employer"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Bonus and commissions are limited based on territory restrictions.

Benjamin Moore2019-07-06

"Encouraging Transparency"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Brand, collaborative environment, free lunch, improving work spaces.

Cons

Benefits could be better, technology improvements are happening but there is a ways to go. Independent channel strategy has some limitations to growth.

Advice to Management

This past week our CEO held Q&A sessions that were great, they were open and direct and we discussed our opportunities and challenges in a very transparent manner. It was very refreshing and great to see we have a number of initiatives in the works to address both the pros and cons facing us. Our leadership team is working well together to ensure BMC is positioned for growth.

Benjamin Moore2019-06-22
  8. "Overall positive but management has room for improvement"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Benjamin Moore part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work life balance, goof benefits and hours

Cons

Lacks consistency and slow to improve.

Benjamin Moore2019-07-09

"Company and Culture"

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is going through some promising changes. New leadership has new plans. High visibility of work of C-suite people. Every quarter they organize Townhall Meetings. All the key C-suite people are long term veterans. And workforce under them are close to 5 and more year old. Small enough that you could get a chance to work with key departments and people in a year or two. Good family feeling. Good... price food in cafeteria. Around $8 per day. Yes I did a calculation!

Cons

The technologies/systems that they use is not up to date. New ideas are not so welcoming. Management doesn’t know how to use best skills of people. Slow growth, small increments and limited bonuses for new workforce. Whereas at C-Suite level, organization changes roles and distribute bonuses among veterans employees.

Advice to Management

Department should focus on how to use young talent and their skills. There is no point of wasting young talent and then not appreciating their work. If organizations can appreciate work of higher level people then higher level people in return should appreciate work of their young talent.

Benjamin Moore2019-04-20

"great people"

I worked at Benjamin Moore part-time

Pros

i felt like im part of a family and part of a bigger purpose

Cons

heavy lifting, long hours hours of standing,

Advice to Management

keep up the good work,

Benjamin Moore2019-04-04