Alexa Internet Reviews

Updated 14 Aug 2019

3.7
Alexa Internet President and General Manager Andrew Ramm (no image)
Andrew Ramm

"Friendly people, established history, and startup environment."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Alexa Internet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Alexa’s history is impressive. It’s completely evolved since it’s inception in 1996 from simply “the Alexa Rank” into a truly valuable suite of SEO and content marketing tools. Being a part of that evolution amidst a crowded, competitive digital marketing space is really exciting. As a previous reviewer noted, Alexa runs with an entrepreneurial spirit while also maintaining organizational stability. It’s small team that moves quickly, but in a flexible, good-natured working environment with really robust employee benefits. Many of its employees have been there since the early years—smart, savvy, individuals who are real team players. I have always felt respected, like I have a voice, and can make an impact. Additionally, the flatter organizational structure of the team means lots of opportunity for non-senior employees to take on more responsibility and be very hands on. This aspect of the company has played a really positive role in my professional growth, setting a solid foundation for my career. I think there’s a lot of growth potential for Alexa, and have enjoyed being a part of a team that gets things done with determination and a good attitude. In sum: -Friendly team -Flexible working environment -Opportunity to be hands on, assume more responsibility -Always new projects, lots of potential -Great work/life balance and benefits

Cons

Stretched resources is common problem for small teams. Despite a desire to always move quickly, having to diligently prioritize is the reality. Also, operating by Amazon standards can mean extra hoops or limitations when it comes to certain projects. This fosters resourcefulness, but can be very frustrating. At times it has felt like trying to moving too fast has compromised product quality and customer experience. It’s true that sometimes perfect can be the enemy of the good, stifling progress, but I would like to see the team build in more time to really optimize the tools we have rather than hurrying off to build something new.

2. "From good to bad - The perfect example of an Amazon Company"

1.0
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alexa Internet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Only a few good people. It will depend on who is your boss, it goes from great to seriously bad.

Cons

Bad management, they are about 25 people total and there are layers of managers and directors for what? Very disrespectful environment (the very least that can be said), a HR nightmare.

Continue reading

"Friendly, fast paced and technically challenging workplace"

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alexa Internet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Alexa Internet is one of the hidden gems of Bay Area. Alexa has fast paced yet friendly atmosphere with some of the smartest and nicest people. Alexa culture encourages everyone to discuss and debate on technical ideas. They have built excellent internal tools to accelerate their development cycle and manage their AWS stack. All engineering managers at Alexa have strong technical experience. I was fortunate to be part of DevOps team where our manager provided good technical leadership and also filled in engineering responsibilities. This is a huge plus at Alexa.

Cons

Not really a contra, but something nice to have: It would be great if company had/has some Work From Home type policy like many other Bay Area companies have.

"Friendly close-knit fast paced company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Alexa Internet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best minds and people I've ever worked with. There's a real drive to ensure that everyone's voice gets a chance to be heard. An Amazon subsidiary that tries to follow all of Amazon's high-level tenets.

Cons

Sometimes the pace is too fast. Lately things are delivered while still in MVP and then we move onto the next thing, not spending enough time getting new ventures out of MVP status. It can be hard to get in fixes for products that are not brand new. Focus is a bit too much on numbers and not always on customer feedback.

Continue reading

"Entrepreneurial spirit, organizational stability"

I have been working at Alexa Internet full-time

Pros

In a few short years Alexa has transformed as a product. And the way the team delivers new and improved value to that product is smarter, faster, and more efficient than ever. For a company whose early years were rooted in the dot com bubble, it's amazing how it has transformed itself and adapted to the changing digital landscape so recently, in such a condensed amount of time. Alexa is a company that is working at entrepreneurial, start-up speeds, with the legacy of a seasoned analytics pioneer, and the support of one of the top e-commerce and cloud computing companies in the world (Amazon). It's the best of everything - a small, dynamic team that's delivering new things constantly. But a stable operation, and flexible work environment with great benefits. Also, it's a flatter hierarchy which means more responsibility and involvement in decision making for non-senior employees.

Cons

Small team often means strained resources. The team continues to deliver fast, but sometimes concessions have to be made. It's a mature team and most have families, so there isn't a lot of post-work socialization. You won't find the 20-early 30's party start-up culture here. Since it's a small, mature team with employees who have been there for years (and a flatter hierarchy) there's not a lot of movement internally. Those that look for quick movement up through the ranks probably won't be happy.

Continue reading

"High impact, low bureaucracy"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Alexa Internet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Alexa has a small team so each person can have a major impact. There's a lot of history and brand equity and it's an exciting time to build the new set of SaaS products that will drive business for the next phase of the company..

Cons

If you're looking for a big company, this probably isn't the right place. In terms of vibe, it's not exactly like a VC-funded startup either as it's been around for 20 years.

Continue reading
  7. "Good career start point"

Former Employee - Data Mining Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Alexa Internet full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The work is pretty interesting - It's a sub-company of Amazon - Presidio of SF is really really pretty

Cons

- Since the company is small and steady, maybe less opportunities compared to other big more dynamic companies

"Good place to work"

Software Engineer

I have been working at Alexa Internet

Pros

- Interesting Projects - Excellent team - Intellectual people

Cons

- No profits/dependent on Amazon - Lacking sense of direction

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews