Okta Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Okta Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Okta

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta in October 2019.

Interview

After completing the online coding test, the technical interview was arranged with Zoom. The interview is about a direct data structure problem. After that is just "do you have any questions". The interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Design a data structure such that it can achieve O(1) on the following operations: insert a key, fetch a key, delete a key and fetch a random key.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Okta

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Okta in May 2019.

Interview

I applied through referral. The process took 2+ weeks. Recruiter setup a call to walk me through the position and team and then followed by telephonic interview with one of their staff engineer. The interview was average but I really had hard time hearing the interviewer voice. I had to ask him to repeat the question multiple times. I lost half of interest when the interviewer side is filled with lot of noise and low. I wish it was different experience.

Interview Questions

• It was simple design and coding question. And the questions built upon it.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Okta in March 2019.

Interview

Recruiter sent coding challenge, I completed it a few days later. I sent followup emails to the recruiters for 2 weeks after with no response. Several more weeks later, a recruiter sends a request for interview.

Interviewer initially said "you can make the code as messy as it needs to be to work, I can understand it". They kept interrupting me as I was speaking to tell me how something I'm saying/doing to understand the problem is unnecessary. After solving the problem, they complained at how "if-elsey" the answer was. The interviewer then went and edited my code themself, to add extra return statements and extra "else" clauses. They told me I should've saved a boolean for clauses that were checked twice. They complained about how messy the code was, reneging on what they initially said.

Interview Questions

• Given an existing function that takes a regex string and a word string and returns whether the word string matches the regex in the regex string (i.e. fn("a.c", "abc") will return true), add the regex asterisk operator (*) functionality.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta.

Interview

I applied online through one of the job board.( Linkedin I think). Then I was emailed about couple of days later regarding the online coding challenge First a code challenge which is pretty easy. Then the hr get back to me after 2-3 weeks for a phone interview. The phone interview consists of mostly basic algorithm questions. I heard back the next day for a 3 hour video conference, which consist of 4 meetings with engineers.

Interview Questions

• Whether a password is valid with several conditions: at a vowels, not triple consecutive vowels or consonants, and no double consecutive letters except for "ee" and "oo"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Okta in September 2017.

Interview

The initial coding challenge, followed by one phone interview and then a 3-hour interview with 3 different interviewers. They ghosted me after the interview despite my repeated emails to both my recruiters.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

The process started with a brief conversation with a recruiter, followed by a technical phone screen in Collabedit. After that I went on-site to the San Francisco office for a day of interviews.

It is a very cool company and everyone is super nice, smart and extremely hard-working. I'm not sure if I'm going to accept the offer yet, but I'm heavily leaning towards it. The offer was great.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Okta? What do you know about how the cloud works?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online and had phone interview with their chief architect. The conversation dives deep into identity management and my background. It went well so I was brought to onsite. The onsite interview process was a nightmare !!!

1. The hiring team turned out to be a totally different team from the phone interview and they have no idea about my background, nor they care.
    2. The interviewers didn't come prepared at all. They just start looking at my resume while I was talking to them.
    3. You think Okta is identity management company? Sorry, they didn't even care anything about authentication, authorization, or web security. Two questions were asked: twoSum and thread contention, using C... seriously, treat me like a new grad?
    4. The HR person stopped the interview and let me go after two rounds. I drove 2 hours to attend the onsite interview, don't I deserve some respect?
    5. No parking fee or gas fee was reimbursed, even after I mentioned to them.

Terrible experience... glad I have offers from other companies :)

Interview Questions

• very basic coding questions, twoSum and convert integer to string, using C...   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Speaker phone and collabedit based phone screen. Speaker with accent calls me up on speaker phone from conference room, mumbles through an introduction, and launches into coding exercise. Crank it out in a few minutes, so he asks another question. He doesn't like my one liner, so he wants me to reimplement it. I think for about 10-15 seconds, and he wants to know if I'm still there. Yes, I'm still thinking. I take another 10 seconds of thought and he decides he wants to move on.

Asks me some technical questions, but I don't recall what. Eventually he asks why I chose the language I did and not the language he selected. He wasn't satisfied with my answer, I don't recall why.

He mumbled his way through the last half of the interview on speakerphone in a conference room. Pretty awful experience, I wish I'd cut off the interview earlier.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to return the 2 largest integers in a list.   2 Answers
    • Why did you implement your code in the language you used? Your resume lists your current language as Java. Why did you change it?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Okta in November 2015.

Interview

apply online, and I get a online assignments on HackerRank. That was easy. Then the phone interview. The question is easy, but I fail to explain the build heap algorithm as the interviewer hopes.

Interview Questions

• Return k biggest numbers in a unsorted array   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview process started with a recruiter reaching out to me through my linkedin profile. After a round of phone interview, I was invited for a on-site interviews at seattle/ bellevue office. The interviews were pretty standard for software engineering position. I was asked coding questions, questions related to my past projects as well as some system design questions. After these rounds, I was asked to visit headquarters at SFO. During the day, I met around 7-8 people including CTO of the company. For most part, I would say interview questions were straight forward and people were fun and easy to talk to.

The only negative for me was the outcome of the interview and the feedback that followed along the lines of "we don't have level of challenge that you are looking for" - which I found strange considering 1. I was really upfront about type of opportunities I was looking and made sure the recruiter is aware of it at every stage of the interview.
    2. Okta being relatively young company, its bit hard to believe they don't have "challenges".

Overall I would say the experience was positive and I would highly recommend the company to anyone interested in identity management cloud based solutions.

Interview Questions

• Practice data structure, string manipulation questions.   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.