AppLovin Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

AppLovin Interview Questions

Interviews at AppLovin

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at AppLovin.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn and when I began looking for opportunities I reached out to her. I got a prompt response and we quickly setup a call. She's very easy to talk to, and shared a lot of information about the company, including their ongoing projects, their prospects and their current needs.

We then scheduled a phone screen with a senior engineer, which was also very positive. He asked some knowledge based questions about the JVM memory model and basic data structures.

We then proceeded to a larger interview, where I had interviews with three senior engineers. It was focused on algorithms, JVM topics, some concurrency, some SQL and discussing past projects. They were all very reasonable, polite, and easygoing. No trick questions, just questions to get a feel for my background knowledge.

After that, one final interview with the CTO which discussed past projects and a coding question that I found interesting.

I got an offer soon afterwards, and the hiring manager discussed compensation. The compensation was excellent, and the company seems to be a great upward trajectory. They all seem like wonderful colleagues who all were passionate about the systems and the products they were building.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppLovin (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

The entire interview process was extremely well coordinated. The process included a short call with a technical recruiter (Jen was extremely professional and organized). Then I had a phone screen with the hiring manager. He asked me questions about Java and then asked a binary tree question. After that, I had a remote on-site interview with some engineers I'd be working with and the hiring manager again. These involved a mix of data structure, string, and dynamic programming questions. I immediately got notice of a final interview with the CTO. He asked broader questions about what I was looking for in my next role and also asked an interesting recursion question. The entire process from initial call to offer lasted exactly 3 weeks.

I accepted the offer for 4 reasons:
    1. They have a Michelin star chef cooking free breakfast/lunch/dinner 5 days a week
    2. The compensation and benefits are very competitive for the Bay Area
    3. I clicked with the team really well and thought they were very intelligent and easy to work with
    4. The hiring manager's managerial philosophy is people-focused and he understands the importance of favoring personal ownership over projects rather than micromanaging

Interview Questions

• Binary Trees, Set Theory, Data Structures, String, Dynamic Programming, Recursion   1 Answer

Game Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppLovin.

Interview

Worst interview process I've ever had hands down. They made me waste 60 hours to do a game project. I literally took a week off of dealing with school or other duties in order to do this project. As a women, I don't think the interviewers took me seriously. They stopped talking to me 2 minutes into the phone call.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppLovin.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone screen with a friendly recruiter, who walks you through the company and asked me general background questions--nothing out of the ordinary and generally pleasant. A follow up meeting was subsequently scheduled with the hiring manager--a one on one digging more into my background with a number of questions about my strengths. Nothing stressful, and the folks are very personable and laid back. Finally I was asked to come to their SF office for an onsite interview where I met all the different members of the team and had five different 1on1 interviews. Some preliminary casework was asked to be done before this onsite interview. It's not difficult work, and it mostly illustrates how interested you are in the company. All in all it was a very positive experience. The recruiting staff is extremely communicative and although the process is thorough, you're in a very welcoming environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had a lot of competing priorities and how you handled it   Answer Question

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppLovin in April 2020.

Interview

Short phone screen with recruiter, technical phone interview with an engineer then three 1-hour interviews with 3 engineers. Recruiter did a couple of "prep" interviews to let me know what to expect on the interviews. Received rejection 2 days later so they move quick.

Interview Questions

• Technical phone screen consisted of generic programming questions like:

What is a closure?
      What is an abstract class?
      When would you use an interface?
      When would you use a state management framework like Redux?

He also asked generic questions about my background.   Answer Question
    • Return an array of all palindrome permutations of a given string.   Answer Question
    • Given a binary tree "main" and another binary tree "sub," determine if "sub" is a sub-tree of "main."   Answer Question
    • Write a JS function to fade out an alert.
      How would you hide that alert on future page loads?

Various Javascript trivia questions:
      Understand how the event loop works.
      "What order will these console.log statements print?" Understand how objects are assigned/copied.
       "If a = {c: 1}, and b = a, what will a == b evaluate to?"
      "If an object is copied using the spread operator, and one of the values is an object, how is that copied?"
      Convert a time stamp difference into a human readable format (e.g. "now," "a few seconds ago," "a few days ago").   Answer Question

Interview

Application

I applied online through glassdoor / handshake. The first step was an initial, non-technical phone call with the recruiter where I learned more about the company, the position I applied for, and the entire interview process going forward. The second step was a technical phone interview with an Applovin engineer. For the final round, I went onsite in Palo Alto. The final interview consisted of three 45 minutes back-to-back-to-back whiteb-boarding technical interviews.

Interview

The best interview process I've ever experienced. There was about 2-3 weeks in between of each round. The recuiters are extremely helpful and always responded within 24 hours. The interviewers also gave small hints to pinpoint me in the right direction to help me succeed. The interview questions were of fair difficulty in my opinion (Leetcode medium) as long as you know your data structures and algorithms and have done enough preparation ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• You are given coins of different denominations and a total amount of money amount. Write a function to compute the fewest number of coins that you need to make up that amount. If that amount of money cannot be made up by any combination of the coins, return -1.   1 Answer

Analyst At Lion Studios Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppLovin (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn about this role at Lion Studios. We had a call that week, she was super open about company goals as well as the impact this role has on the team. The team and the recruiter were super responsive to all my questions in a timely manner. After the phone screen I spoke to the hiring team to get a good idea about the role and the company culture. After that was a take home test, it was tricky but it gave me a better understanding of the role. I reached out to the recruiter with a few questions about the test and she was super responsive and was able to answer all my questions quickly and thoroughly. I then had another phone interview with the team lead which was based around my take home test and the impact I can have. Lastly, I went in office to meet the rest of the team.

Overall, the process was very smooth and quick! I felt I knew the company goals and what this role entailed. One of the quickest, smoothest and overall best interview experience I've had in my career.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you have that can translate to making an impact in a short amount of time?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Interview

Hiring process was quick. Got initial phone call right after the day I applied. However, the recruiter was HORRIBLE. She was not interested in learning my background and just be like reading questions from her list all the time. She cut me off sometimes which made me feel super awkward and unprofessional. She was just like trying to get her job done ASAP so that move on to other stuff. The most ridiculous thing is that she even tend to judge me when I was asking questions and trying to clarify what she was asking. WTH?? Can’t believe why the company dare to hire such unprofessional recruiter. Awful experience !

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppLovin (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied online via LinkedIn, and I heard back within a few weeks. The first round was a behavioral interview–I was asked about my background & Resume projects. The following week was my first coding interview (1 hour)–I joined the call and coded on CoderPad; my question was pretty difficult (about depth-first search), but when I was stuck, the interviewer guided me. A few weeks later, my in-person interview was great (~3 hours). Met with 3 engineers who each asked me a coding question. Everyone there was really nice and the office space was adorable.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2d grid map of '1's (land) and '0's (water), count the number of islands. An island is surrounded by water and is formed by connecting adjacent lands horizontally or vertically. You may assume all four edges of the grid are all surrounded by water.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppLovin (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

3 rounds: 1 call with recruiter, 1 call with hiring manager, 1 onsite about 4hour with team member and president. Overall very straight forward, interviewers were friendly and did a great job showing the culture of the company along with their benefits. Culture fit is a big deal, they want people who's self-motivated and not afraid to fail. No bs, what you learned in your interview is what you will work as.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage LiveOps for a free to play game?   Answer Question
    • How will you make product decision base on qualitative and quantitative data   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.