xMatters Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.2
xMatters CEO Troy McAlpin
Troy McAlpin
Pros
Cons
  • "The product is the best in its category, but there's little-to-no awareness in the industry(in 3 reviews)

• "No official work from home policy(in 3 reviews)

"Solution Architect"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Vancouver, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great culture - very diverse and multicultural people - learning opportunities beyond the norm - ability to express issues or concerns to anyone including one on ones with CEO (that actually cares and listens more then talking) - ability to work with cutting edge technology and systems - ability to switch between roles if you have interest in other things (support to developer or pre-sales) - BBQs, team field... trips, and cultural events throughout the year - birthday cakes every month to celebrate each person's birthday in the office for the month - ability to work in West (Vancouver, Victoria) or East (Montreal) of Canada for development positions I worked at this company for last 5 years and seen the same culture throughout the growth. They care about you and your well being. They also make sure they invest in your skillsets and keep you happy in every way possible.

Cons

Nothing really negative to say about the company itself. Still growing and with growth comes adaption to changes, some people leave due to too many changes and others embrace them. Either way, company will figure things out as it grows.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, listen more to the front lines, so far management has been great in all the teams I worked in, but feels like some silos still exist.. but thank you for this incredible experience.

xMatters2019-08-02

"Outdated Technology from an Irrelevant Company"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Yummy snacks in the kitchen

Cons

This is a company limping along on one leg. Talented engineers and account managers continue to leave. Somehow management came up with last chance, last gasp messaging around Digital Transformation and DevOps that is silly and embarrassing. The product technology is outdated and based on a legacy on-premise architecture that required refactoring and scaling down of features and value in order to achieve something... that they could claim as SaaS. Management seems to hire and fire by rolling dice, tarot cards, and ouji boards rather than by rational well considered planning. They let people go with no warning and attempt to buy silence with meager severance packages.

Advice to Management

Pack it in. Time to come up with a new idea.

xMatters2019-08-26

"Hypocritical leadership - QBR's are misguided"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Product - Market is solid

Cons

Hypocritical leadership. When you have to preach that you have a great culture- then you don't have a great culture. QBR's are not to help sales but "gotcha" sessions. Absolute 100% lying. Look you right in the eye and lie to you. Worst I've ever seen.

xMatters2019-07-08

"Why is it that most of the negative reviews are from engineering department?"

I worked at xMatters full-time

Pros

What is causing those negative reviews? Your coworkers or management?

Cons

Place is run like an army. You do what you are told and you don't challenge your superiors.

Advice to Management

see the tilte

xMatters2019-04-19

"Great Place to Work with a Same Team Attitude"

Current Employee - Solution Architect

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Same Team mentality - Great benefits and working flexibility - Good compensation and bonus scheme - Genuine care about employees, right up to CEO level (The CEO seeks you out at Kick Off's to meet you!) - Some awesome travel locations (Vegas, San Diego, Chicago...) for Kick Off's - Work hard, play hard

Cons

There really aren't any. These are SMALL small things in the grand scheme of things... - Career Development isn't huge - there's opps to progress, but not always via a clear, defined path ("How can I do XYZ to get to ABC?") 360-style reviews might help with this, though I appreciate it's more time-consuming. - There's been some org reshuffles the past few years, but all seemingly for the better. - If you're... not in the US, you can expect a few evening calls, but that's true of any global company these days and I feel the Work-Life balance does balance out nicely through the year.

Advice to Management

Consider 360 reviews, or a more collaborative review structure to help give a bit more guidance regarding career progression. Otherwise, keep being awesome, open and engaged! It's really appreciated.

xMatters2019-04-02

"An Absolute Genuine Company"

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Sydney

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company has a fantastic Culture. Everyone who works here wants to be here. This company allows personal growth with its employees. The door is always open to Management when/if needed. The CEO is open and honest - he is one of us and a great leader.

Cons

No real cons that I can think of. There are times when staff have to be let go, which is always difficult but that is unfortunately how business works.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your staff informed - it is so important. Informed staff will give their best at all times if they know where we are heading/what we are doing.

xMatters2019-04-02

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Solution Architect

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

In no particular order: - Everyone at the company is really smart and motivated. - Work/life balance is amazing. - The company genuinely cares about its employees and is committed to our growth. - I've had an amazing manager who I know is always going to advocate for the team. - Everyone is willing to help. - xMatters is smart with its money, but isn't cheap.

Cons

Again in no particular order: - There's been a lot of organizational change over the last year and initiatives seem to come and go. It's hard to get on board with the latest tool/process/etc when it's likely to fade away. - The product is the best in its category, but there's little-to-no awareness in the industry. - It's not always clear who or where to go when I have a question, and I sometimes feel like I'm... asking a question that's been asked a million times.

xMatters2019-03-30

"Good place to sell"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great product, better team, and the best sales leadership team top to bottom that I've had the pleasure to work with. Product is priced competitively and does have real differentiators when selling at the enterprise level. The bigger the deal, the better chance xMatters has of competing and winning, which is a great place to be as a rep. I've had a chance to really grow my career in my time at xMatters and rise... from being an inside sales rep to the strategic team. I've been here for over 3 years, and at each stage, my contributions have been recognized and rewarded in a way that I will forever be grateful for. Because it is a smaller company and sales org, feedback and innovation is appreciated and recognized. Tight knit sales group with support at every level. If you're willing to work hard and be a team player, xMatters is truly a great place to be.

Cons

Long sales cycles, much of which is due to almost non-existant marketing lead generation. Can be a bit of a feast or famine type of sales environment for long stretches. Pipeline generation is more on the reps shoulders than most places, and mandates that reps own every aspect of lead-gen to business closing in their territories.

Advice to Management

Lack of marketing support has been identified and actions are being taken to remedy. Our product genuinely is the best in the enterprise space, so continue the focus in this area and get our name out there.

xMatters2019-03-29

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Director North East

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for and be part of. Leadership style is refreshing. Tough yet respectful. How it should be. Great Team environment. Every org in the company is part of just about every large enterprise opp. Great support.

Cons

Company Brand is a work in progress. Most software companies, at some point, is in this position.

xMatters2019-03-29

"Stay Away"

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good snacks in the kitchen area, decent benefits.

Cons

The company's product is boat-anchored to its legacy on premise architecture - major surgery will be required in order to try to offer true SaaS without compromising features and value proposition. Meanwhile, their DevOps messaging is pure bandwagon - essentially 'Hey, us too! We do DevOps too!' when the truth is that their product is outdated and irrelevant to DevOps. Staffing decisions are capricious, irrational,... and arbitrary - the place is run like a cult.

Advice to Management

Start over. There is only so many times that a company can attempt to re-invent itself. You've jumped the shark.

xMatters2019-03-21