xMatters Reviews

4.5
xMatters CEO & Chairman Troy McAlpin
Troy McAlpin
Pros
Cons
  • "No official work from home policy(in 3 reviews)

• "There seem to be a few growing pains, but nothing that can't be sorted out(in 3 reviews)

1. "Best company I've worked for"

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Victoria, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Strong leadership * Great employees * Excellent product * Technical debt reduction was built in to sprints * Documentation is superb * Benefits that are atypically generous: RRSP matching, vacation, snacks, company trips, training, medical/dental etc * Lots of technologies and processes to learn, if you're interested

Cons

Missing deadlines had heavy impact on other teams, so you had ensure you planned really well before the sprint. Not much of a con, really.

June 29, 2020ceo

Thank you for the review and your many years of service! I appreciate that you spotted the fake review and felt compelled to say something. I appreciate the time span you were with xMatters we went through much change with big deadlines and really difficult work. Thank you for hanging in there and helping us build our awesome service! I suppose you could say we built it brick by brick!

2. "it was great"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst

I worked at xMatters part-time

Pros

flexible working hours and bonuses

Cons

low salary and working on weekends

June 16, 2020ceo

Not a real review. We do no work on weekends, we don't have part time employees other than our intern program and have not employed systems analysts. 5 stars and a negative outlook? (If only Glassdoor validated the reviews so we could trust them). Good news is that we DO have Flexible Hours and Flexible Work Locations and we DO have a bonus program (and stock options, and paid benefits, etc.). Good news is through the Covid19 pandemic we've continued to serve our customers well, maintain our culture and grow (we are hiring)! So there is that ;-).

3. "Good company to work for"

4.0
    Former Employee - UI Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, good work-life balance, smart engineers, really good team building.

Cons

Teams organization can cause frustration and lost time. Teams sometimes step on each other's toes and do not communicate enough.

June 29, 2020ceo

Thank you for the review and your advice. It's very timely as we get bigger and as we change our work style. Moving to Flexible Work locations (office, home, partial, full remote) we are carefully experimenting and improving the way we work and coordinate with one another. I like the idea of having team members (cross team) designing together especially when it's a UI heavy team and a Java/DB heavy team (e.g., front/back ends). We appreciate the feedback, we are sorry to see you go but we wish you the very best in your next step.

4. COVID-19

"Amazing culture and a stellar product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s during difficult times like these that true leadership shines. xMatters has not only been a great workplace during this pandemic but also an amazing support network. The main reason behind that is a truly sane culture and a strong “same team” message. The culture is not only slogans and free snacks, but real tangible actions like : - Healthy goals that encourage team cooperation - flexibility and trust: flexible hours are a blessing. especially now - transparency in terms of direction

Cons

The only cons I see is the couple of 1 star reviews on this page. I usually don’t leave reviews but decided to do it this time when I saw that. I don’t understand who in good faith would do that at a company like xMatters.

May 15, 2020ceo

Thank you for your review. Honestly, this just makes my day. I appreciate that you enjoy the culture and that you are contributing actively to it. Keep up the great work and please keep assisting others where you stand.

"Great company with authentic people"

Former Employee - Corporate IT Specialist in San Ramon, CA

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed working at xMatters. The culture and ethos are healthy and promotes a positive work environment. The CEO and management are approachable and solution oriented. The kitchen was always well stocked and any personal requests was a non-issue. Company parties were always on an epic scale!

Cons

No personal issues over the 3+ years I worked at xMatters. Having 24 hour fitness headquarters on the floor above was mildly annoying when they would drop heavy weights on their floor.

May 1, 2020ceo

Thank you for sharing your experience at xMatters we appreciate it and appreciate having you with us for 3+ years and as part of our alumni now.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Global Payroll & Equity Manager

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Executive and Management don't just give lip service about caring for their employees (personally and professionally), they actually mean it. This is shown by every level of management from the top down. Work/Life balance matters to them. Professional development is strongly encouraged. Truly open communication across all employees. Every single employee knows the annual and long term goals for their department, and every other department across the company. Employees display "same team" attitude. Makes it feel like everyone matters.

Cons

Honestly can't come up with a single con.

March 30, 2020ceo

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and for being an xPert for more than 5 years! Awesome! Keep encouraging your fellow xPerts!

"One of the best companies I've worked for"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-People. Radically candor people. -Software is unlike others out there. It actually makes a difference in enterprises. -Culture is exactly how you would want it. Everyone care for each other and works as a team.

Cons

-Market Awareness: tough to market or make IT folk aware when they don't know we exist. However, I know it's being worked on from multiple angles.

January 22, 2020ceo

Thank you for the review and your candid thoughts. We are continuing to chip away at creating awareness xMatters. Your contribution toward that goal is appreciated. Best kept secret with 2.6m users. The word is getting out.

"Great product! Great team! Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to learn and grow abound! If you like to interact with a multitude of clients and solve legitimate problems for Fortune 500 companies then xMatters is the place to be! xMatters embraces a "same team" ethos which is reflected by our continued success. xMatters also operates with unparalleled integrity taking the high road in competitive situations and letting the product and level of service speak for itself.

Cons

Honestly, I don't have any cons and to reiterate some of the replies to the 1 star reviews if you had a bad experience it sounds like you didn't embrace the culture and people which collectively drive the companies success.

January 22, 2020ceo

I have to agree with the opportunities to grow and stretch here at xMatters! I'm glad that's been your experience as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the company, culture and opportunity ahead of us - I also appreciate you mentioning that we consistently take the "high road" - even when we're the only ones on that road!

"Solution Architect"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Vancouver, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great culture - very diverse and multicultural people - learning opportunities beyond the norm - ability to express issues or concerns to anyone including one on ones with CEO (that actually cares and listens more then talking) - ability to work with cutting edge technology and systems - ability to switch between roles if you have interest in other things (support to developer or pre-sales) - BBQs, team field trips, and cultural events throughout the year - birthday cakes every month to celebrate each person's birthday in the office for the month - ability to work in West (Vancouver, Victoria) or East (Montreal) of Canada for development positions I worked at this company for last 5 years and seen the same culture throughout the growth. They care about you and your well being. They also make sure they invest in your skillsets and keep you happy in every way possible.

Cons

Nothing really negative to say about the company itself. Still growing and with growth comes adaption to changes, some people leave due to too many changes and others embrace them. Either way, company will figure things out as it grows.

August 27, 2019ceo

Thank you for the review and your long term contribution to xMatters - we are sorry to see you go. We appreciate the guidance on encouraging more sharing of information to and from the front lines as well as making sure we focus on Same Team and not letting silos creep in as we grow.

"Outdated Technology from an Irrelevant Company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Yummy snacks in the kitchen

Cons

This is a company limping along on one leg. Talented engineers and account managers continue to leave. Somehow management came up with last chance, last gasp messaging around Digital Transformation and DevOps that is silly and embarrassing. The product technology is outdated and based on a legacy on-premise architecture that required refactoring and scaling down of features and value in order to achieve something that they could claim as SaaS. Management seems to hire and fire by rolling dice, tarot cards, and ouji boards rather than by rational well considered planning. They let people go with no warning and attempt to buy silence with meager severance packages.

August 29, 2019ceo

Thank you for posting this review, however I'm not sure we ever met. Most, if not all, of this post is false and likely intentionally misleading - let's unpack this one at a time: Company outlook: Last year we raised $40M from Goldman Sachs, we are growing (currently 14 positions open), we are EBITDA positive, we have 630,000 paid full users, 2.6M on the platform and win 3 out 4 deals versus our #1 competitor. Not exactly hopping on the last leg. Messaging: We did not invent DevOps, SRE practices or the push toward digital transformation. Our customers are generally developer and IT personnel who look to automate and support incidents in a digital environment. They are pushing harder to deliver more digital services with better quality. We help them do that. Please see our website at xMatters dot com for actual messaging. Product: The product architecture was rebuilt in 2012 when we moved to SaaS. Legacy architecture is long gone as we're micro service oriented and purely SaaS in public clouds. We are always "scaling down" features based on User Experience. Elegance in design is simplicity not complexity. Please go to G2Crowd dot com and read actual customer reviews. Our People: And lastly and most importantly to the heart of this review - we do not make random personnel decisions to hire or release humans. We have a professional growth program, mentorship program and a desire to retain our talented people. The culture is inclusive and same team is emphasized. Perfect? No. But not at all as described. Clearly if you worked here (which I am not convinced based on the content) you didn't have a good experience. I am disappointed that didn't work out for you and for us.

Found 77 reviews