tajawal Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Muhammad Chbib

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Grow, learn and turn trips into amazing experiences!"

I have been working at tajawal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full transparency on strategy and business KPIs
    Strong feedback culture
    Fun, smart, warm people to work with
    Work with cutting-edge technologies
    International atmosphere
    Matured company, which means good processes
    A lot of different challenging tasks
    CTO with lots of knowledge and sense of ownership and a very good problem solver
    Team leads give autonomy and ownership, no micromanagement

Cons

For me this company is the best. If i will look at myself few years back i would say that it was the best decision of my life to come and work for tajawal.

Advice to Management

Continue to optimise the OKRs process and improve cross team communication

"Best IT Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at tajawal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Cutting edge technology with a well thought architecture
    - Not a single bit of legacy code
    - Opportunities to grow and learn. There are lots of projects, you can pick any project look at the codebase, learn from it and contribute if you want. There are around 10 teams, you can pick anyone's codebase, review it and ask for why they have done something the way they have done.
    - Have the best IT team in the region. Opportunity to work with top-notch, ego-less and friendly team members.
    - CTO is the best. Super friendly, supportive and the most knowledgeable guy. You can expect him to be always there for you, no matter what. Pushes you to learn and be better not just for the job but for your own self. Need a book? want some course subscription? want some paid training? need to go to some international conference? want to attend some meetup but it is paid? have some emergency and want to work from home for sometime? are stuck at something and want someone to help or assist? all you have to do is ask and he will do it for you. I have worked wit dozens of managers in the past but nobody comes close to the CTO that we have got here; the best manager ever.
    - No micro-management involved; infact you are asked to take as much time as you want but to produce a better quality code.
    - I consider myself a picky person and mostly don't stay at any company more than a year as I believe none of my past companies have been so rewarding and challenging for me in my growth more than a year spent with them. For tajawal, I have been with them three times the average time that I have spent at any company and I still have no plans to leave them any sooner, because there is always something new to learn, some new challenge to tackle and some growth opportunity.

Cons

Personally, I haven't noticed any cons so far. Except there should be more team events which they are working to improve.

Now let's talk about the bad reviews here on glassdoor: unfortunately for Dubai, it is the region where the good IT companies and good talent is scarce. There are mostly expats here coming from different parts of the world, people of different attitudes and nature. And when you are hiring so many people you are definitely going to get some hypocrites. There is no norm for the employees to give feedback to the employer although the company begs you to give it so that they can improve or help if there is something wrong. They ask for anonymous reviews and nothing actionable or complaints comes up and yet they come here on glassdoor to whine as if it is going to help in any way. I believe tajawal is the best company in the region and anyone should disregard these negative reviews on glassdoor and should figure it themselves.

Advice to Management

Everything is good. Keep doing what you are doing and tajawal is definitely going to reach new heights.

"Great Place and Culture"

I have been working at tajawal full-time

Pros

- Great place to learn
    - Multi-cultural organization
    - Flexible working hours
    - Startup culture - a lot of flexibility in work and clear growth path

Cons

A little loud which makes it a little difficult to focus due to the fast-paced environment in the office.

"Terrible, Terrible company."

I have been working at tajawal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location
    Free fruit
    Open plan office
    Macbooks

Cons

-Senior Leadership need to grow up. Especially the 'Fake CTO'
    -You will work long and hard only to be called stupid
    -No values or ethics, just ask how many times HR has resigned /been fired over the three year period.
    -The attrition rate speaks for itself
    -Clueless middle management, including the heads of marketing, product etc
    -constant fear of being let go because of middle management failures of because a C doesnt like you
    - Toxic work place

Advice to Management

If you continue like this, all the good, smart and hard working people will continue to leave as they have done so over the past years.

Also please address the issues instead of telling employees to leave fake positive reviews!

5. "Senior frontend engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Frontend Developer in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Senior Frontend Developer in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at tajawal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- excellent community
    - high learning curve
    - very professional Colleagues

Cons

- no flexible time - working from home options

"Overall Nice Company, Can be made better!!"

Current Employee - Marketing Lead in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Marketing Lead in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at tajawal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scaling up environmanet with nice co-workers and excellent place to sharpen the skills, Nice equipment, Lots of pressure and things to do which i love

Cons

Every team has that one guy who is doing all the technicalities yet the progress is mever shared or appreciated by the heads or the C management because its never communicated, real quote would be preparing everything for the head to present to the management giving you 0 credit

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, CEO is cool, rest of them are Okay but not someone that you can follow if you are having an entrepreneurial mindset. I have one more suggestion to make sure all the team players are evaluated properlyand appraisals should be given more often acknowledging the fact that some people are really good at what they do.

"Better to avoid working for TAJAWAL for your own mental health. Sanity is worth it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at tajawal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good developers
    - FAKE positive reviews on Glassdoor.

Cons

Working in tajawal is like participating in Big Brother. The housemates are the employees, working in a specially-constructed startup friendly workplace. Employees are voted out (usually on a quarterly basis). During their stay in the company, the "contestants" are continuously monitored by their activities on Jira, youtrack, google docs sheets, trello and by asking them to give presentations with misguided objectives. Throughout your tenure, the CEO, issues directives and commands to "contestants".

"Contestants" are employees backed by their teams and department, trying to prove they are better than other while hurting business objectives and the team environment in process.

Tajawal hires good resources and destroys them in no time, either by laying off or causing them to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation.

The only thing worse than having a bad job, is working at Tajawal, a job you'd love, only if it wasn't for the millennial management (CEO, CTO, CMO, CXO, COO, head of product) making you dread going to work everyday.

Laying-off resources without giving any reason is a thing in Tajawal. You might be given a positive feedback on your performance a week before you get laid-off. NEVER trust your supervisor. They only do whats "good for the business".

The whole HR department of this 3 year old startup is not more than 3 months old. You won't find anyone in the company who has worked for 2 years or more, other than the self proclaimed co-founders and handful of juniors. The total workforce is around 700, out of which 500 don't know what they're supposed to be doing, the rest are

At your absolute best, you still won't be good enough for the management. Leave the swamp before it eats your soul. "Go Beyond Tajawal".

I've moved on, I will let karma do the dirty work. My final advise; avoid working for Tajawal for your own mental health. Sanity is worth it.

Advice to Management

- Grow up, you are sabotaging your own success.
    - Stop gossiping in the corners and in the meeting rooms.
    - Be mature, ethical and responsible towards your employees
    - No one's stupid.

"Best Tech Company I have ever worked with"

I have been working at tajawal full-time

Pros

Lots of learning. Always updated with latest tech stack. Effective communication among different teams. Best managers. Cooperative team mates.

Cons

No cons, but I guess management process can still be improved.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You will shine and rise.

"Unhealthy Place to Be"

Former Employee - Senior Tajawal Survivor in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Senior Tajawal Survivor in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at tajawal full-time

Pros

- Good developers
    - Free fruits
    - Fake positive reviews on Glassdoor.

Cons

- C-level hate their job and openly express it.
    - Opinion driven work environment
    - Only 2-3% employees are passionate about travel
    - Unfair salaries
    - Bad management and constant blame games
    - Useless and generic processes which has nothing to do with a startup
    - Empty culture, values and promises
    - Heavy racial discrimination
    - Feels like some bad TedTalk area
    - Dirty, raw, unhealthy office
    - An environment where the employees are truly unhappy and literally afraid.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: Management doesn't need an advice. They know the best.
    Advice to Employees: Leave the swamp before it eats your soul. "Go Beyond Tajawal"

"Best Company with good culture"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at tajawal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will be exposed to latest technology with fast paced keeping up with the latest trend in all levels.

Cons

Didn't find any ;)
    No cons

Advice to Management

We will reach great height!