Zillow "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Zillow Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated 11 Dec 2019

3.8
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Cons

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"Data Services is a Dumpster Fire"

Current Employee - Data Integration Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Zillow has great benefits The rest of the company seems to abide by core values The company (not team) has exciting potential for growth

Cons

I have been on this team a long time and have seen it go nowhere but downhill. Just in the past months 4 people have announced their departure just within the Assessment team of Data Services. And it is no secret that more will soon follow suit. If anyone in the C-Level reads this it is 100% a rejection of the teams senior management. Any other explanation is simply false. It began with these 4, and many more are now looking to get out. The teams senior managers are nothing but a clique of old school business people who's values are opposite to those of Zillows. They work to protect themselves and not those under them. If you are not one of their chosen 'favorites' you will go nowhere. This was 100% apparent in the latest promotions on the team. Everyone saw through the process and everyone knew who was going to be promoted before the process even started. The hiring process was biased and unfair from the start. People do not want to work for shady, dishonest people and your continued toleration of this team's leadership is jeopardizing the whole project. Survey after survey comes and nothing changes. Low scores across the board. The managers want to point fingers but cannot point it at themselves. They are the problem. They pretend that no other people can do this job or understand the data but them, but the reality is that assessment data is messy but ultimately uncomplicated. Any person versed in data could lead this team to be better both in terms of morale and the data itself. None of the managers are technical and only slow the process down and interject themselves in processes to seem like they are important. Morale is at an all time low on the team and people are burned out. If you are thinking of applying to this team because of the prospect of working for Zillow you should think again and look elsewhere. The novelty of working here soon wears off as this team is not in line with Zillow. You will see and talk to other people who love Zillow, their teams, and their managers. But you will not find that on this team.

Advice to Management

If you want this team to succeed you need to bring in managers who share Zillow's core values. The current management team is only destroying morale and driving people to leave. Four people leaving at once is not a little blip in the data. It is a flashing warning sign of what is to come if new management is not put in place. If those at the top don't act this entire project will be a failure. You have smart, dedicated employees with the skills and subject matter knowledge, now give them the leaders they deserve.

Zillow2019-12-11
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stands by core values, opportunity for growth, focused attention on investing in and supporting employees, great culture, great benefits.

Cons

Do not have any at present.

Zillow2019-11-08
  3. "Smart and caring leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Client Engagement Specialist

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great benefits and culture.

Cons

Growing really fast and changing rapidly.

Zillow2019-07-22

"Turnover rate for sales is around 70% (no, seriously)"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays, great benefits, gym reimbursement, free snacks.

Cons

I stayed around 6 months. At first, everything was great; they do the old smoke and mirrors trick- free lunch! gym reimbursement! tons of $$ if you hit quota! But the reality is: everyone is extremely stressed about hitting quota and it creates a negative office environment. The well is very poisoned here. I felt like after a month of training and traveling to Seattle, the smoke screen was gone and I realized I had made a mistake accepting an offer. You basically have to hit quota 3 times or you're gone. The quota is pretty high at $8,000 and you're selling to real estate agents that either hate Zillow and have burned by the product before or don't have the money to buy it. A lot of people I know are "on plan" meaning they have to hit 3 months in a row or they're gone, and only 2 out of the 7 people I trained with are still employed here (by choice or not). I personally left because the stress and lack of job security wasn't worth it. None of the managers came and said goodbye to me when I put in my two weeks (which, they tell you to wrap it up within 10-15 min of giving notice, but at least they pay you for the two weeks), which is whatever, but just contributes to the "you are extremely replaceable and ultimately don't matter here" sales culture. I could probably go on, but if you're on the fence about applying...don't. It's monotonous, some managers can be micromanagers, and it just really sucked to work here. Although I took a pay cut at my new job, I feel so much happier and less stressed.

Advice to Management

Ditch the churn and burn method. Restructure the sales plan (like the 3 strikes you're out method) so you can create happier employees and therefore a better work environment.

Zillow2019-07-02

"Should have been better..."

Former Contractor - Human Resources Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow for less than a year

Pros

Good work life balance. Snacks. Great benefits if you’re a FTE.

Cons

One of their main core values is to be transparent, “turn on the lights”, but my experience was quite the opposite. I was left in the dark, pitch black. Zero transparency. Being on contract you of course know there is a chance that it could end, but normally they give you notice a good time in advance... not three days. Now, not only did that occur, which honestly isn’t the issue at all, but the reasoning that was told to me was because of streamlining, which ok I totally understand.... until I literally saw my job posted on indeed the very next day. HRBP is the department employees go to for concerns, questions, performance growth, opportunities etc, and instead of having a learning conversation with me, they just made up some excuse and couldn’t even give me any constructive feedback. Now let me back track, I was in this role for a month and a half, had very little training, as well as very little guidance and/or support. I had projects and tasks thrown at me constantly with hardly, if any guidance. I would ask questions and from certain individuals I would receive attitude, eye rolls and honestly at times, belittling. Thankfully there were a couple people who were awesome and helped me along the way, but going into work and feeling like you’re constantly walking on egg shells is a terrible feeling, on top of having no support from management. I worked extremely hard to get a role at Zillow, and I am pretty disappointed with my experience and how it turnt out. Below are some core values that I truly believe some of the team members in that department need to work on. Do the Right Thing. Include and Empower. Turn On the Lights. ZG is a Team Sport. I know so many people who work for Zillow and have nothing but great things to say so it isn’t a terrible company overall. Like all tech companies, they’re great unless you get on a not so great team...

Advice to Management

Be supportive to all team members and train EFFICIENTLY and EFFECTIVELY! Offer guidance, positivity and growth! Live up and own the core values! Literally, “Own It” is a core value!

Zillow2019-06-19

"This is THE sweat shop of all sales jobs. Prepare to question your life choices"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great CEO great workspace with more snacks and array of beverages than you could ever imagine. View from any floor is amazing.

Cons

It's really disappointing because i have a lot of friends that aren't in sales that work for Zillow and they can't stop talking about how much they love it. Zillows core values and direction and culture is absolutely amazing UNLESS you are on the sales floor. It is a shark eat shark environment where you can't trust anybody. Everyone is always trying to figure out ways to snake your deals, which results in a lot of bad blood and a pretty contentious relations with most of your coworkers. So if you like being a shady sales person in a turn-and-burn environment, this is a great job for you Training is the biggest joke imaginable and barely applies to what you are actually selling. All the managers focus on are daily activity metrics since they are under the impression the more dials you make the more business you will close, which isn't true. But if you don't hit your INSANE dial/activity metrics every day, then you will get a firm talking to. We are talking on average about 100 calls/day and another 150 talk minutes on top of it. You don't have time to strategically prospect and build relationships. I barely feel like i have time to take lunch. On top of that, it takes 70% of the team until the last day of the month to hit quota, so the stress literally never subsides. I stress like MAD when on vacation because you literally need every day possible to hit your goals. This is absolutely not how a job should be. I never felt able to breathe and cruise for just a day or two. The best part is that at any point in time you literally only have 3 month of job security. You are put on a PIP if you miss two month in a row (even by a minuscule amount) at that point you MUST hit 2 consecutive months to not get fired. I have seen so many talented people who just had a few bad months get let go. I have always wondered why Zillow Sales doesn't focus on developing existing talent. They much prefer to do hiring classes of 30 people every couple months and just see who can actually last. The turnover is absolutely mind blowing and i'd say the average tenure of an SE is 8-12 months. The product is hard to sell because so many agents have been burned by Zillow. What you do when you invest in Premier Agent is called GAMBLING. I didn't feel comfortable selling agents on a product that probably isn't going to make them money. It felt like i was stealing from good people.

Advice to Management

Fix the issue of people snaking other people deals and make it a fair playing field. "Salesforce Rules" are INSANE. The fact that if you miss a follow up on someone you have been working with for months and if they accidentally falls out of your name that another SE who literally did nothing for the sale gets to close it and get 100% credit. Also, stop preaching about how "transparent" you are because it's very evident that you are not. Whether it be with how you send out inbounds, or how you feed deals to your favorites on the team, or lying about how much agents LOVE the new PA and they are lucky that we are calling them with the opportunity. Let's be real,, it's WAY overpriced, SE's just stress sell to get a credit card and will put agents in HORRIBLE positions. How is that fair to our clients? Stop playing favorites, because it's obvious and we all see it. Start spending some time working 1 on 1 with reps to build their skills and closing abilities instead of spending your time focusing on why we aren't pacing to hit our daily activity metric.

Zillow2019-03-06

"Great benefits and company perks but soul sucking-work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can't deny that Zillow has pretty great benefits. The best health and vision insurance I've had to date. An office with amazing views of the Puget Sound and plentiful rotating snacks.

Cons

I can't speak for other roles or departments in the company, but if you enjoy being micromanaged and don't mind making 100+ dials a day to people who are sick of being called by Zillow then you can make some decent money. Although you'll most likely end up getting a percentage taken out of your future commission check when clients don't fulfill their contract and cancel because they're unhappy with the product.

Zillow2019-03-07
  8. "Amazing Culture"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Benefits -Awesome Culture -Lots of yearly parties and free food -Feel valued as an employee

Cons

-It's a grind and emotionally taxing, you have to have thick skin and not get in your head.

Advice to Management

The questions on the recruiting call didn't feel personal and the recruiter was clearly reading a script. For first impression I think this should be more polished and sincere.

Zillow2019-02-22

"Bilingual Account Manager"

Former Employee - Bilingual Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, team work is fundamental, and fast moving company where there is room for growth.

Cons

Sometimes your ideas can be caught up in bureaucracy, or red tape ... and by the time someone takes a serious look the program has already been changed.

Zillow2018-08-15
  10. "Great Company"

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great benefits -Amazing culture -Great People

Cons

-All white company with a few black people & minority’s -Carrier development impossible

Zillow2018-05-22