Workday "proprietary language" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Workday Employee Reviews about "proprietary language"

Updated Nov 26, 2019

4.1
Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri
Pros
Cons
  • "Proprietary language might not carry over well into different career paths(in 38 reviews)

• "Pleasanton is far away for many employees in the city or south & north bay(in 38 reviews)

Reviews about "proprietary language"

Return to all Reviews

"Good Company, Great Culture."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management place importance on a good company culture, with an employee first approach that actually implement. 1-on1's with my manager were always constructive and open. Opportunities to move departments, and for career progression. Competitive salary and RSU's. Opportunity to work with new technologies and to contribute to the selection of stack for greenfield projects.

Cons

If you're in a role that is mostly Xpresso(WDay proprietary language), it can limit your career prospects.

Advice to Management

Keep it employee first.

Workday2019-08-06

"Great place, but but not great people"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance for some teams. Great benefits Good salaries Good snacks program

Cons

People: Some nice people, some very arrogant and toxic people, depending on which team you join. Technology: The core application is a monolithic one, old technology for the teams working in core application, except for some new teams that are using modern technologies. They are trying to update technologies used, but this is moving very slowly. If you end up with working in the monolithic app you will... experience all the drawbacks of a monolithic application, like: - Massive code base that is really hard to understand, - Hundreds of developers working in the same code base, - Pipeline blocked most of the time, - Tricky to debug, takes some time, - Poor test coverage, - Bugs can slip out easily, etc… If you will work with XO, their proprietary language, not that bad as a concept, but it's not done in developer friendly way, it has pros and cons. XO Pros is that it helps building features quickly. XO Cons: Takes lots of time to learn it. It limits your thinking to the capabilities it has, which is limited compared to any other language. Tools around it is not great, for example the code review tool is not good. The automation framework that is done on top of it is very bad to work on as well. The UI for the development is not developer friendly, which is basically inside the browser and UI based. People - details Managers hell: I had bad luck and joined 2 different teams in which I didn't have a good time over there. I have seen very poor soft skills, especially communication skills among senior people, and managers, within my team, i didn’t find respect, i wasn’t valued, i didn’t find psychological safety which is very important important for a successful team, Instead I found pointing fingers, blaming, undermining others. I have worked with 2 managers. 1st one was fake, too formal, a kind of person who gives too many instructions which he doesn't follow half of them. A kind of manager that you feel the 1-1 meeting is something you need to prepare and worry about. He used a google doc to track what we say and ask about it next time, which gave the meeting the formality style, which is not good for 1 to 1 meetings, he had very poor communication skills, he would joke about people's mistakes rather than trying to give constructive feedback. Second manager was worse, he looked very nice, funny, friendly, until any mistake happens, or anything that he doesn't like. He turns to the other face, aggressive communication style, blaming, comparing to others. All the things that it is not recommended for professional communication, he was doing it. he has offensive and harsh communication style, that you would feel offended after. Some of our meetings would turn into arguments, shouting, blaming game and whose fault it is. After some time working with this manager i would go to work, feel anxious all the time just thinking that I could have done something wrong that would result of him talking to me in un -pleasant way. Working under these 2 managers in Workday are considered to me the worst time in my life, which turned my hope of working in a great place fades and turns into a nightmare. Disrespect and exclusion Being in these 2 teams, I didn’t feel much inclusion and respect, i was different in terms that I don't like going out to their outings, I don’t like parties or fun the way they see it. I don’t like drinking, I don't talk much about other things than work. I was looked at like I am weird. The culture they advertise is talking about things like value employee, and inclusion. But the true and actual culture is different. There isn’t much stress on applying this culture. I was advised by my manager to try to mingle more and talk more about any nonsense, and to go out with the team for drinks. He didn’t really understand my personality and was as if asking me to change my personality to fit more into the company. Once he mentioned that this how it is in Workday and this is what i need to do to fit the fun culture. He didn’t understand that every person have fun in a different way. Other than managers, i have seen senior and principals that doesn't respect others, talks about other in their backs, not patient, all of these things are missing from them are necessary for someone with such senior position, which makes me wonder how they were promoted. They were hard workers, have been in the company for some time, but that is not enough for someone to be promoted, senior person as well need to be a role model and be able to mentor others. Once one of the senior managers had an org meeting and he was bragging and joking about how much he curse, which just reminded me with high school time. I just wanted to tell him, come on, grow up - how immature!!!

Advice to Management

Not everyone that tells jokes and is laughing to others all the time fits to be manager, manager most important skill is to communicate, and to coach, if someone is very good in the product, or very organised and active but doesn't have these 2 important skills, he will end up with people running from his team and from the company. Another thing, not everyone that has been in the company for sometime and he wants... to be a manger you let him, without checking these 2 important skills. To promote people, they must show very good communication skills with people above him and people below him in level. The quality of people you hire is very important. In addition to good benefits, soft skills, communication skills are very important for a great work place Work more on applying the core values. Include respecting and accepting others as they are and not enforcing specific way of the values. Be more strict specifically to managers on enforcing the core values. Give more training about respecting others, how to give feedback, how to handle others' mistakes, coaching, leadership.

Workday2019-11-26

"Could Be a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genuinely some amazing people Great place for graduates to get on the ladder Shares are a great investment plan Good benefits Ok Salary Internal mobility to get away from the proprietary language Agile coaches to advance teams

Cons

Ruinous middle management in some teams. Policy of 'owning your own career' while well intended at the top, is get out of jail free card for middle management to not do their job. While there are some amazing people, rapid growth led to the original culture becoming diluted. Poor work / life balance. Proprietary language limits external career opportunities. Incidents of bullying and bad managerial conduct... are not dealt with.

Advice to Management

Middle management: Work hard to make your teams lives easier, don't make your team work hard to make your life easier. Be honest. Stop giving yourself excuses and be better. Senior Management: Cast a cold eye on the reality of things, take action and drop the enforced positivity policy.

Workday2019-05-22

"Software Application Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Benefits. Ok salary. Bunch of smart colleagues. Relaxed environment. Good opportunity to learn corporation's trick and tips.

Cons

Proprietary language, lot's of fake promises on career progress or side projects using common languages and tools. Easy to quickly forget what you learned during your career, I ensure you will spend the last 6 months of your employment there studying during the nights/weekends in order to get ready for the coming interview. Catastrophic middle management, I'is a corrupted club, if you are well connected your... life will be easy otherwise your opinion matters little, the only option to avoid problems is just to say "yes, make sense" all the time it's requested. Useless HR, really don't know what they do apart from arranging the induction. Don't know how is possible to catch lots of "5 stars" reviews in glassdoor portal once the frustration feeling within app devs is pretty shared.

Advice to Management

Don't look at people as just a way to get your next promotion. Main reason why you were hired was not just to get the big stock and travel a lot but concretely believe to be a real servant leader, care about people, engage them maximizing their productivity. All this in the interest of the company.

Workday2019-02-03
  5. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Comp and Benefits as well as Culture

Cons

Proprietary Language could be a problem

Workday2019-01-07

"Software Application Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent culture and benefits, very relaxed and welcoming atmosphere

Cons

It can feel like you are stuck in Application Development using a proprietary language The language makes development slower than it could be for Apps teams Pay is OK, they put a lot of emphasis on stock-based compensation, which doesn't vest until the year after you receive it Tendency to reinvent the wheel with internal tools

Advice to Management

Give teams more scope to use the right tools for the job

Workday2018-04-22

"Great place to work."

Former Intern - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Workday

Pros

Everyone I encountered was nice. My manager was very friendly and supportive. I got lots of help when I asked for it and learned a lot. Very positive experience.

Cons

If it wasn't for the proprietary language XPresso I probably would have stayed there, also it seemed my teammates would be staying quite late a lot of evenings to deal with deadlines, although I didn't have to.

Workday2017-09-24
  8. "Amazing Culture and Workspace!"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday for less than a year

Pros

really unique culture that prioritizes employee happiness, fun and uplifting work environment, rapidly growing company, relatively high paychecks, a lot of training opportunities

Cons

big learning curve for proprietary language (Xpresso), Xpresso can be unintuitive for people used to coding in regular coding languages

Workday2019-08-22

"Good company, great benefits"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture Unlimited PTO Friendly people Nice benefits

Cons

Low salaries Proprietary language is bad Lots of bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Managers in App Dev are inconsistent and too much overhead.

Workday2019-07-22
  10. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment with friendly people, comfortable work/life balance and nice technology.

Cons

Proprietary language might not carry over well into different career paths.

Workday2019-05-21