Workday Employee Reviews about "pleasanton"

Updated 19 Aug 2020

4.1
Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri
Pros
  • "Great culture; strong execution; young (lower paid) workforce; customer communications; willing to buy revenue to maintain its growth curve(in 129 reviews)

• "It's a great company with great employees that is on a track to success(in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • "Uses a proprietary language which has some learning curve(in 46 reviews)

• "Depending on your values, Pleasanton HQ can be good or bad(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "pleasanton"

Return to all Reviews

"lucky little corner"

Current Employee - Security Engineer I in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've heard and seen people from other teams over-working and rightly complaining about their work-life balance. I've read a couple of bad reviews referring to the security team in the US. That is why I'd like to state how different is my experience instead, within the security team in Ireland, since - as some have pointed out already - it depends on the team you work with. I work in Security in Dublin, Ireland which is divided into different branches: Security Engineering, Risk Mgmt, Security Operation Centre. My team is absolutely awesome. Our direct manager is great. We have: - 1-1 meetings every week and they're always very helpful. - team sync meetings to keep each other updated on progress (since we often work on distinct projects while collaboratinf with only 1 or 2 others in the team but not everyone) which are very useful. We are: - encouraged to propose change and innovative projects - given time to work on PoC the above ideas - collaborating with other teams to improve the internal security assets. Whenever there is a problem, we always do as much as we can to mitigate it rather than closing our eyes and ignoring it (as done in some other companies). Not only my own manager but also all the others in Security in Dublin are friendly, respectful, approachable, supportive of bottom-up ideas, of work-life balance and of advancing team member's knowledge and career. My job is extremely interesting and varied, since we balance between securing loads of different technologies and developing our own security tools plus often running internal pentesting. Even though it is hard to find senior sec people we have never lowered the standard in the hiring interviews. My manager also gives each of us clear goals for promotions: if met you're in, otherwise out -which is absolutely fair. Finally, I've never experienced any sexism at all - which is great nowadays. Indeed, our org and the whole company is full of inspiring women. We even have our own women@workday global group and local ones, which are all fairly active and full of useful initiatives. Not to mention: - perks, snacks, fruit (piles of berries, figs, mangos and avocados), benefits, bonus, stock - dentist/optician/massage on site - facilities to work and for entertainment (playstations, xbox, nintendo, table tennis, pool table, etc) - employees clubs well funded and supportive - help meeting other colleagues while exercising (many are sport-based) and having fun - giving&doing program - you get money based on the time you spent volunteering for a charity, which can only be used for further donations + your donations to a charity are doubled by the company every time - the nice people around you wherever you go: in the corridor, kitchen, etc. and all the nice people in the security team in Dublin.

Cons

Since in my org the majority of managers are based in Pleasanton, US, there seems to be a bit of a disconnection between the teams over there and us.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

People and culture here are great. They live up to their name as one of the best places to work.

Cons

Lots of limitation to design. Pay is a bit low for the Bay Area. HQ in Pleasanton is also out of the way (would be great if it was SF or SJ).

Continue reading

"Really is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* The culture is really great, in practice what this means is that people are easy to work with, management doesn't (typically) micro-manage, people are trusted, benefits are generous, if you need time off you can take it, etc. Also plenty of interest groups, competitions, socials. Team outings are encouraged. * The product is a sticky one that has a big impact on the world. The biggest companies in the world use our product and its exciting to build products that can impact millions of employees for the better. There's a lot of growth to be had and we are continuously expanding our product lines. * There is a lot of room for internal mobility! You are not stuck in the role you were hired into (at least after one year of serving in that role). You can move to different teams or even different roles altogether. This is a great place to grow your career if you are motivated and willing to speak up for yourself with your manager. Some examples I'm aware of: Developer -> PM, Pre-Sales. QA -> Developer, PM * Compensation is about average for the bay area, but that is still pretty good! You typically will get decent base salary and RSU package (e.g. 40k over 4 years). This grows each year as you get a "refresh" (e.g. another 40k over 4 years). After 4 years you have 4 grants vesting at the same time in April (our comp cycle). That can be 10k raise each year even if you don't have a boost in base salary.

Cons

* Volatile stock means volatile compensation when much of it is from RSUs. But this can also be to your favor if you hold long term. When I joined my RSUs were granted at a local maxima price and dropped shortly after, only recovering (and then dramatically surpassing) that price 2 years later. But the following year or two was a surge in Workday's price which led to significant inflation of my compensation. * Don't expect significant base salary raises unless it is a major promotion and you are a good negotiator. Often you won't get any base salary increase, and other times you might get 1-3%. It is difficult to negotiate once you get your annual review and compensation update, the budget has already been allocated and agreed to a month+ prior. If you negotiate successfully you may only see a bump months later. * Depending on your team you may have FREQUENT re-organizations, even up to 2-3 times a year. Which could mean new manager and change in your charter. If you are an IC, you are usually not consulted on this and simply have to deal with it. Even director level folks are sometimes not consulted with on these changes, and we have seen turn over due to undesirable changes from a re-org (for certain people). I've been at workday for many years now and have had more manager than years employed. It has its pros and cons, and it has to do with which teams you join. * The team you join MATTERS. If you join a team that is focused on a legacy product, you can chill more and could be a good place to be to "rest and vest" and have time to take care of your family (leave early to pick them up from school, etc.) If you join an innovative team that is pushing through new product lines, there is a higher expectation and just cruising will look bad. If you are a motivated individual, I urge against joining (or at least saying long term) in a team that is of the "cruising" archetype. Take advantage of the internal mobility and join an innovative team to grow your career. * Office locations aren't ideal. Depending on your values, Pleasanton HQ can be good or bad. If you live in the east bay, it's obviously good. If you live in SF it's less good. There is an SF office, but you should assume you will not be working there (unless you're joining Scout, or are in corporate comms, marketing, etc.) There other offices are Boulder, Portland, Victoria (BC), Dublin (Ireland), so if you want to live somewhere warm Pleasanton is the only option. Boulder seems to be the second most active office after Pleasanton and we're doing a lot more hiring there if that's your interest. * Occasionally, management talks politics (US politics), and I feel like this can alienate many employees. Even if the majority agrees with the politics, there are at least 40% of employees who feel alienated. I don't think this company should involve itself in controversial politics. It's certainly not as bad as some other tech companies though in this regard though!

Continue reading

"High impact role supporting all our internal business partners creating and implementing business solutions."

Current Employee - Senior Associate Business Systems Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, business casual, and optimistic future.

Cons

Many workmates leave in search of a better work location. For many, Pleasanton is too far from where talented workers live.

Continue reading
  5. "Supportive and Healthy Work Environment"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people Good management Intern and College Grad programs are amazing

Cons

Pleasanton is a very suburban area, although it has great restaurants

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came to Workday as a new graduate, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. In addition to great salary, benefits, employee programs, etc., the characteristic that really sets Workday apart is the people. The whole company really feels like one huge team, which I think is pretty rare, especially in contrast to other companies. There's a ton of trust, and the management structure is super supportive while totally avoiding micromanagement.

Cons

It would be awesome if there were a few more options for subsidized meals on the Pleasanton campus, but the snack program is totally free + provides almost anything you need.

"Limited Growth Opportunities for Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Great benefits. Challenging work. Majority of coworkers are great. Onsite gym. Flexible with WFH when needed.

Cons

Quick to promote from IC to manager when they have a need. However, their guidance stops once you are promoted. They offer a two day leadership summit and a 3.5 day onsite training in Pleasanton, but that is where the guidance ends. Tons of raining opportunities to advance yourself if you are an IC, however, only senior level and executive level management are offered continued training opportunities. Feeling pretty stuck and as much as I love Workday, I’m about ready to start looking for a company that values growth for ALL employees, not just GWs, ICs, or executives.

Continue reading

"Extremely nice and smart coworkers"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Workday has a great culture of teamwork and kindness. From what I've experienced since starting here, there seems to be a minimal amount of politics and ego issues. Work life balance and work hour flexibility is great.

Cons

Compensation is fair but not as competitive as other companies in the bay area. This might be because it's based in Pleasanton.

"Amazing culture"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Amazing company culture - CEOs really encourage employees to put families first - this company cares about employees so much - passionate people to work with -I work on the a newer product so it’s a very progressive environment and we’re always looking for better ways to develop - amazing product with high customer satisfaction

Cons

- the company has grown a lot since I’ve been there which is good but at the same time the culture does feel a little different now that we are larger but executives really try to make an effort to keep the culture - if you want to live in the city, the headquarters are in Pleasanton so it is a bit of a commute

"Culture of fear runs rampant within the SLC Finance Group"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Great benefits, including decent pay, stock options, snack program, unlimited PTO, typical tech company benefits

Cons

The culture within the SLC Finance department is far from what the culture is in Pleasanton. There is a culture of fear that runs rampant within the group, it is clear that middle management does not take responsibility for decisions that are made because they are afraid of what upper management is going to do with those decisions. There is a culture that individuals do not have the freedom to make decisions without getting the okay from management in some way. Over the past few months with the acquisition of Adaptive Insights there has been a major shift of the priorities of management from caring about their employees and putting them first. It is now a priority of meeting deadlines and making the company a quick dollar instead. There used to be a set of meetings set aside to discuss issues in a round table setting that have now been cancelled indefinitely, this gives the perception that employees and culture are no longer important In the past there would be weekly/monthly 1 on 1's with managers and their employees and now those don't ever happen unless the employee insists on meeting with their manager to discuss issues. Even then it is clear the manager is bothered they have to take time away from their day to meet even for 15 minutes. Many hiring decisions are being made before a position is even open and then the position will be filled by a new outside person with the first couple days of a position being opened, not giving any opportunity to an internal employee first. Promotions are always said to be given not just because you checked off a few boxes but because there needs to be a "need" first and there needs to be an opportunity for it. There have been plenty of need and opportunities that have come as of late and no one is receiving promotions or even given a chance for one. It has been said from Sr. Management that they will come and we need to just "trust" that they will come but will not give an insight into what they mean by that.

Found 26 reviews