Workday "pleasanton" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Workday Employee Reviews about "pleasanton"

Updated 27 Nov 2019

4.1
Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri
Pros
Cons
  • "Proprietary language might not carry over well into different career paths(in 40 reviews)

• "Pleasanton, CA is kind of out in the boonies(in 39 reviews)

Reviews about "pleasanton"

Return to all Reviews

"lucky little corner"

Current Employee - Security Engineer I in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've heard and seen people from other teams over-working and rightly complaining about their work-life balance. I've read a couple of bad reviews referring to the security team in the US. That is why I'd like to state how different is my experience instead, within the security team in Ireland, since - as some have pointed out already - it depends on the team you work with. I work in Security in Dublin, Ireland which is divided into different branches: Security Engineering, Risk Mgmt, Security Operation Centre. My team is absolutely awesome. Our direct manager is great. We have: - 1-1 meetings every week and they're always very helpful. - team sync meetings to keep each other updated on progress (since we often work on distinct projects while collaboratinf with only 1 or 2 others in the team but not everyone) which are very useful. We are: - encouraged to propose change and innovative projects - given time to work on PoC the above ideas - collaborating with other teams to improve the internal security assets. Whenever there is a problem, we always do as much as we can to mitigate it rather than closing our eyes and ignoring it (as done in some other companies). Not only my own manager but also all the others in Security in Dublin are friendly, respectful, approachable, supportive of bottom-up ideas, of work-life balance and of advancing team member's knowledge and career. My job is extremely interesting and varied, since we balance between securing loads of different technologies and developing our own security tools plus often running internal pentesting. Even though it is hard to find senior sec people we have never lowered the standard in the hiring interviews. My manager also gives each of us clear goals for promotions: if met you're in, otherwise out -which is absolutely fair. Finally, I've never experienced any sexism at all - which is great nowadays. Indeed, our org and the whole company is full of inspiring women. We even have our own women@workday global group and local ones, which are all fairly active and full of useful initiatives. Not to mention: - perks, snacks, fruit (piles of berries, figs, mangos and avocados), benefits, bonus, stock - dentist/optician/massage on site - facilities to work and for entertainment (playstations, xbox, nintendo, table tennis, pool table, etc) - employees clubs well funded and supportive - help meeting other colleagues while exercising (many are sport-based) and having fun - giving&doing program - you get money based on the time you spent volunteering for a charity, which can only be used for further donations + your donations to a charity are doubled by the company every time - the nice people around you wherever you go: in the corridor, kitchen, etc. and all the nice people in the security team in Dublin.

Cons

Since in my org the majority of managers are based in Pleasanton, US, there seems to be a bit of a disconnection between the teams over there and us.

Advice to Management

Rather than having frequent and numerous awards within our group under the CIO, it may be worth to have less but more carefully evaluated people/ projects to reward. This would allow to also focus on each of them more so to justify the judges' choice.

Workday2018-01-26
  2. "Great company with many perks"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday for less than a year

Pros

1. Free snacks 24/7 2. Beautiful Pleasanton campus, ideal location for Bay Area residents as you'll most likely go against traffic to get there. 3. Really interesting and forward-thinking things happening in some key departments 4. Competitive intern pay 5. Interns are treated as full employees 6. People on my team were extremely smart, articulate, and most of all accessible 7. My team consisted of some of the coolest people I've ever had the privilege of working with 8. Unbeatable work-life balance

Cons

1. Some other intern projects seemed to be less substantial, so it really depends which department you get placed with. 2. I've been waiting on a decision with my return offer for around 3 months now. They kept delaying our decision over and over again. Really frustrating. 3. No discounts at the company store for interns ;)

Advice to Management

A lot of things are being done very right at Workday, but I wish there was less red tape surrounding the Talent Acquisition department.

Workday2019-11-28

"High impact role supporting all our internal business partners creating and implementing business solutions."

Current Employee - Senior Associate Business Systems Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, business casual, and optimistic future.

Cons

Many workmates leave in search of a better work location. For many, Pleasanton is too far from where talented workers live.

Advice to Management

Increase investment in reducing employee turnover, it impacts workmate relationships and office morale.

Workday2019-10-23
  4. "Supportive and Healthy Work Environment"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people Good management Intern and College Grad programs are amazing

Cons

Pleasanton is a very suburban area, although it has great restaurants

Workday2019-10-14

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came to Workday as a new graduate, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. In addition to great salary, benefits, employee programs, etc., the characteristic that really sets Workday apart is the people. The whole company really feels like one huge team, which I think is pretty rare, especially in contrast to other companies. There's a ton of trust, and the management structure is super supportive while totally avoiding micromanagement.

Cons

It would be awesome if there were a few more options for subsidized meals on the Pleasanton campus, but the snack program is totally free + provides almost anything you need.

Workday2019-04-08

"Limited Growth Opportunities for Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Great benefits. Challenging work. Majority of coworkers are great. Onsite gym. Flexible with WFH when needed.

Cons

Quick to promote from IC to manager when they have a need. However, their guidance stops once you are promoted. They offer a two day leadership summit and a 3.5 day onsite training in Pleasanton, but that is where the guidance ends. Tons of raining opportunities to advance yourself if you are an IC, however, only senior level and executive level management are offered continued training opportunities. Feeling pretty stuck and as much as I love Workday, I’m about ready to start looking for a company that values growth for ALL employees, not just GWs, ICs, or executives.

Advice to Management

If you’re going to promote from within continue to support and offer growth to your new people leaders. We want to continue to grow and support our teams and company as best we can, however, as a group we are often overlooked.

Workday2019-02-19

"Extremely nice and smart coworkers"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Workday has a great culture of teamwork and kindness. From what I've experienced since starting here, there seems to be a minimal amount of politics and ego issues. Work life balance and work hour flexibility is great.

Cons

Compensation is fair but not as competitive as other companies in the bay area. This might be because it's based in Pleasanton.

Workday2019-03-01

"Amazing culture"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Amazing company culture - CEOs really encourage employees to put families first - this company cares about employees so much - passionate people to work with -I work on the a newer product so it’s a very progressive environment and we’re always looking for better ways to develop - amazing product with high customer satisfaction

Cons

- the company has grown a lot since I’ve been there which is good but at the same time the culture does feel a little different now that we are larger but executives really try to make an effort to keep the culture - if you want to live in the city, the headquarters are in Pleasanton so it is a bit of a commute

Workday2018-11-06

"Culture of fear runs rampant within the SLC Finance Group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Great benefits, including decent pay, stock options, snack program, unlimited PTO, typical tech company benefits

Cons

The culture within the SLC Finance department is far from what the culture is in Pleasanton. There is a culture of fear that runs rampant within the group, it is clear that middle management does not take responsibility for decisions that are made because they are afraid of what upper management is going to do with those decisions. There is a culture that individuals do not have the freedom to make decisions without getting the okay from management in some way. Over the past few months with the acquisition of Adaptive Insights there has been a major shift of the priorities of management from caring about their employees and putting them first. It is now a priority of meeting deadlines and making the company a quick dollar instead. There used to be a set of meetings set aside to discuss issues in a round table setting that have now been cancelled indefinitely, this gives the perception that employees and culture are no longer important In the past there would be weekly/monthly 1 on 1's with managers and their employees and now those don't ever happen unless the employee insists on meeting with their manager to discuss issues. Even then it is clear the manager is bothered they have to take time away from their day to meet even for 15 minutes. Many hiring decisions are being made before a position is even open and then the position will be filled by a new outside person with the first couple days of a position being opened, not giving any opportunity to an internal employee first. Promotions are always said to be given not just because you checked off a few boxes but because there needs to be a "need" first and there needs to be an opportunity for it. There have been plenty of need and opportunities that have come as of late and no one is receiving promotions or even given a chance for one. It has been said from Sr. Management that they will come and we need to just "trust" that they will come but will not give an insight into what they mean by that.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an HR representative in SLC full time to be available to speak with employees when they have concerns or issues. Management needs to do what they promise employees and create new coaching opportunities to help employees develop new skills.

Workday2018-11-13

"Avoid if you have greater ambitions"

Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Unlimited PTO policy. Easy for engineers to take at least 5-6 weeks off a year. - Dog friendly office. - Easy to coast by and collect paychecks. - Close to Pleasanton BART. - Most teams allow engineers to work from home once a week. Workday is a great place to work if you live in the East Bay and value work/life balance highly. Perfect for people with families that want an easy workload and lots of PTO. Never felt stressed to deliver on a deadline. Easy to get stuck here since you barely feel like it's work.

Cons

- Abysmally low pay / salary compared to other tech companies in the Bay. - Lack of motivated engineers due to low pay. - Proprietary coding language not transferrable to other companies. - Promotion is mostly based on tenure, not accomplishment/talent. - Located in Pleasanton. - Snacks/drinks are of the cheapest quality, and often run out. If you're an engineer that aspires to leave Workday eventually, avoid at all costs. Working in a proprietary language 9-5 will severely diminish coding skills that other companies actually care about. Nowadays there's a serious lack of drive when comparing engineers at Workday to other companies. Great engineers have been leaving in droves since last year. Good luck escaping when you've been pigeonholed into your role.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain top (or even mediocre) talent, start paying employees more. Adopt newer technologies for development/testing/QA. Move away from proprietary coding languages.

Workday2018-08-31