Workday Employee Reviews about "pleasanton"

Updated Sep 25, 2020

Found 27 of over 2,157 reviews

4.6
Workday Co-Founder and co-CEOs Aneel Bhusri, Chano Fernandez
Aneel Bhusri, Chano Fernandez
Pros
  • "Great culture with industry leading technology stack(in 147 reviews)

• "great company with good benefits & culture(in 76 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Developers use a proprietary language(in 48 reviews)

• "Compensation is obviously not as great as other top companies but for living in Pleasanton, I think it’s definitely great(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "pleasanton"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

lucky little corner

Jan 26, 2018 - Security Engineer I in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've heard and seen people from other teams over-working and rightly complaining about their work-life balance. I've read a couple of bad reviews referring to the security team in the US. That is why I'd like to state how different is my experience instead, within the security team in Ireland, since - as some have pointed out already - it depends on the team you work with. I work in Security in Dublin, Ireland which is divided into different branches: Security Engineering, Risk Mgmt, Security Operation Centre. My team is absolutely awesome. Our direct manager is great. We have: - 1-1 meetings every week and they're always very helpful. - team sync meetings to keep each other updated on progress (since we often work on distinct projects while collaboratinf with only 1 or 2 others in the team but not everyone) which are very useful. We are: - encouraged to propose change and innovative projects - given time to work on PoC the above ideas - collaborating with other teams to improve the internal security assets. Whenever there is a problem, we always do as much as we can to mitigate it rather than closing our eyes and ignoring it (as done in some other companies). Not only my own manager but also all the others in Security in Dublin are friendly, respectful, approachable, supportive of bottom-up ideas, of work-life balance and of advancing team member's knowledge and career. My job is extremely interesting and varied, since we balance between securing loads of different technologies and developing our own security tools plus often running internal pentesting. Even though it is hard to find senior sec people we have never lowered the standard in the hiring interviews. My manager also gives each of us clear goals for promotions: if met you're in, otherwise out -which is absolutely fair. Finally, I've never experienced any sexism at all - which is great nowadays. Indeed, our org and the whole company is full of inspiring women. We even have our own women@workday global group and local ones, which are all fairly active and full of useful initiatives. Not to mention: - perks, snacks, fruit (piles of berries, figs, mangos and avocados), benefits, bonus, stock - dentist/optician/massage on site - facilities to work and for entertainment (playstations, xbox, nintendo, table tennis, pool table, etc) - employees clubs well funded and supportive - help meeting other colleagues while exercising (many are sport-based) and having fun - giving&doing program - you get money based on the time you spent volunteering for a charity, which can only be used for further donations + your donations to a charity are doubled by the company every time - the nice people around you wherever you go: in the corridor, kitchen, etc. and all the nice people in the security team in Dublin.

Cons

Since in my org the majority of managers are based in Pleasanton, US, there seems to be a bit of a disconnection between the teams over there and us.

2. 5.0

Production step is wonderful

Sep 25, 2020 - Product Designer in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I will definitely recommend to peers. WLB and lots of nice people there is no evil around. There is clear goal targeting current and future always very clear vision for products.

Cons

Pleasanton location is little bit hard to get access. And design community is weak especially in manager/leadership level. I've seen some not qualified senior designers (old mindset and stubborn) work at Palo Alto and Pleasanton locations and they want to retire here. And they are all from old companies such as Cisco and Oracle.

3. 4.0

Great place to work

Aug 19, 2020 - Product Designer in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

People and culture here are great. They live up to their name as one of the best places to work.

Cons

Lots of limitation to design. Pay is a bit low for the Bay Area. HQ in Pleasanton is also out of the way (would be great if it was SF or SJ).

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Really is a great place to work!

Apr 13, 2020 - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* The culture is really great, in practice what this means is that people are easy to work with, management doesn't (typically) micro-manage, people are trusted, benefits are generous, if you need time off you can take it, etc. Also plenty of interest groups, competitions, socials. Team outings are encouraged. * The product is a sticky one that has a big impact on the world. The biggest companies in the world use our product and its exciting to build products that can impact millions of employees for the better. There's a lot of growth to be had and we are continuously expanding our product lines. * There is a lot of room for internal mobility! You are not stuck in the role you were hired into (at least after one year of serving in that role). You can move to different teams or even different roles altogether. This is a great place to grow your career if you are motivated and willing to speak up for yourself with your manager. Some examples I'm aware of: Developer -> PM, Pre-Sales. QA -> Developer, PM * Compensation is about average for the bay area, but that is still pretty good! You typically will get decent base salary and RSU package (e.g. 40k over 4 years). This grows each year as you get a "refresh" (e.g. another 40k over 4 years). After 4 years you have 4 grants vesting at the same time in April (our comp cycle). That can be 10k raise each year even if you don't have a boost in base salary.

Cons

* Volatile stock means volatile compensation when much of it is from RSUs. But this can also be to your favor if you hold long term. When I joined my RSUs were granted at a local maxima price and dropped shortly after, only recovering (and then dramatically surpassing) that price 2 years later. But the following year or two was a surge in Workday's price which led to significant inflation of my compensation. * Don't expect significant base salary raises unless it is a major promotion and you are a good negotiator. Often you won't get any base salary increase, and other times you might get 1-3%. It is difficult to negotiate once you get your annual review and compensation update, the budget has already been allocated and agreed to a month+ prior. If you negotiate successfully you may only see a bump months later. * Depending on your team you may have FREQUENT re-organizations, even up to 2-3 times a year. Which could mean new manager and change in your charter. If you are an IC, you are usually not consulted on this and simply have to deal with it. Even director level folks are sometimes not consulted with on these changes, and we have seen turn over due to undesirable changes from a re-org (for certain people). I've been at workday for many years now and have had more manager than years employed. It has its pros and cons, and it has to do with which teams you join. * The team you join MATTERS. If you join a team that is focused on a legacy product, you can chill more and could be a good place to be to "rest and vest" and have time to take care of your family (leave early to pick them up from school, etc.) If you join an innovative team that is pushing through new product lines, there is a higher expectation and just cruising will look bad. If you are a motivated individual, I urge against joining (or at least saying long term) in a team that is of the "cruising" archetype. Take advantage of the internal mobility and join an innovative team to grow your career. * Office locations aren't ideal. Depending on your values, Pleasanton HQ can be good or bad. If you live in the east bay, it's obviously good. If you live in SF it's less good. There is an SF office, but you should assume you will not be working there (unless you're joining Scout, or are in corporate comms, marketing, etc.) There other offices are Boulder, Portland, Victoria (BC), Dublin (Ireland), so if you want to live somewhere warm Pleasanton is the only option. Boulder seems to be the second most active office after Pleasanton and we're doing a lot more hiring there if that's your interest. * Occasionally, management talks politics (US politics), and I feel like this can alienate many employees. Even if the majority agrees with the politics, there are at least 40% of employees who feel alienated. I don't think this company should involve itself in controversial politics. It's certainly not as bad as some other tech companies though in this regard though!

12 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

High impact role supporting all our internal business partners creating and implementing business solutions.

Oct 23, 2019 - Senior Associate Business Systems Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, business casual, and optimistic future.

Cons

Many workmates leave in search of a better work location. For many, Pleasanton is too far from where talented workers live.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Supportive and Healthy Work Environment

Oct 14, 2019 - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Good management Intern and College Grad programs are amazing

Cons

Pleasanton is a very suburban area, although it has great restaurants

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I love my job!

Apr 8, 2019 - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I came to Workday as a new graduate, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. In addition to great salary, benefits, employee programs, etc., the characteristic that really sets Workday apart is the people. The whole company really feels like one huge team, which I think is pretty rare, especially in contrast to other companies. There's a ton of trust, and the management structure is super supportive while totally avoiding micromanagement.

Cons

It would be awesome if there were a few more options for subsidized meals on the Pleasanton campus, but the snack program is totally free + provides almost anything you need.

8. 3.0

Limited Growth Opportunities for Management

Feb 18, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance. Great benefits. Challenging work. Majority of coworkers are great. Onsite gym. Flexible with WFH when needed.

Cons

Quick to promote from IC to manager when they have a need. However, their guidance stops once you are promoted. They offer a two day leadership summit and a 3.5 day onsite training in Pleasanton, but that is where the guidance ends. Tons of raining opportunities to advance yourself if you are an IC, however, only senior level and executive level management are offered continued training opportunities. Feeling pretty stuck and as much as I love Workday, I’m about ready to start looking for a company that values growth for ALL employees, not just GWs, ICs, or executives.

9 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Extremely nice and smart coworkers

Mar 1, 2019 - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Workday has a great culture of teamwork and kindness. From what I've experienced since starting here, there seems to be a minimal amount of politics and ego issues. Work life balance and work hour flexibility is great.

Cons

Compensation is fair but not as competitive as other companies in the bay area. This might be because it's based in Pleasanton.

10. 5.0

Amazing culture

Nov 5, 2018 - QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing company culture - CEOs really encourage employees to put families first - this company cares about employees so much - passionate people to work with -I work on the a newer product so it’s a very progressive environment and we’re always looking for better ways to develop - amazing product with high customer satisfaction

Cons

- the company has grown a lot since I’ve been there which is good but at the same time the culture does feel a little different now that we are larger but executives really try to make an effort to keep the culture - if you want to live in the city, the headquarters are in Pleasanton so it is a bit of a commute

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 Reviews