Workday Associate Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Nov 11, 2016

4.4
Workday CEO Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

"Senior Associate Software Engineer - Recruited"

Senior Associate Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday

Pros

I went through a recruitment process with workday recently. - All the recruiters were nice people to talk to. The technical guys were also quite good, we engaged in deep conversation about the technology stack and the architecture of some particular systems. - We were able to delay the Commence Date of the contract, which was excellent news for me. - The team-lead walked me through the module they are... developing and told me where will my place in the team be and what responsibilities will I have.

Cons

- Relocation's a b*tch. Although they provided a Relocation Asistance Company. Which actually comes to a plsu, at the end of the day..

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Workday2016-04-08

"Great Place To Work, Lovely People. Only downside is the development language"

Current Employee - Associate Software Applications Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun place to work Great benefits Friendly People

Cons

Development language leaves me feeling pidgeonholed

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, everyone loves the atmosphere. Consider the utility of developing in a standard programming language.

Workday2016-09-24

"Rising"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

- Great work atmosphere, everybody is friendly - Working on some cool technology - Good work life balance These qualities are honestly very rare in SV, but then there are drawbacks to having such balance..

Cons

- Typical problems of scaling a company - Lack of open-source projects (which I feel is very important to staying integrated with the tech community) - Pays under the market, which limits the amt of talent

Advice to Management

Keep listening and improving. The fact that people actually post such lengthy responses on Glassdoor (negative or positive) means that they care about the company a lot, so the situation, however dire you may think it is, can be improved upon.

Workday2016-11-11
  4. "Engineering talent"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are tons of reasons for why Workday is a great place. Although others are saying the culture is deteriorating, it is still very good; work life balance is great, business prospects look good overall.

Cons

What a lot of people don't see is that the hiring bar is getting lower and lower because the company is trying to expand. Quality over quantity should be the mindset in recruiting, but as a new grad, I've seen extremely brilliant (and friendly) people get rejected from this company, and not-so-brilliant people get in, which astounds me. Salary is a huge issue; everyone knows the Workday does not pay enough,... probably 15k under the market for new grads alone. If we want Workday's engineering reputation to increase, you cannot continue paying people so little. You are giving the truly talented engineers less reasons to choose Workday over other companies.

Advice to Management

Standardize the interview and hiring process so that we can have accurate measures of technical ability. Look at what others are paying their engineers, and make it competitive. Otherwise, we keep getting bad talent, and the company continues to deteriorate into neo-Oracle.

Workday2016-11-08

"Awesome company, income is not too competitive"

Associate Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday for more than a year

Pros

Software Engineer = Great culture, great company, awesome hours, constantly challenged, DOG FRIENDLY.

Cons

I personally believe it is hard to get salary increases similar to other tech companies, i think that is my least favorite part about workday.

Workday2015-12-03

"Boring technology, Micromanagement, and no Career Advancement"

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Any company that has a good cash flow is good for seniors, and people in the finance/hr or service roles. If you're into fun and like to live at work, the culture is great. The leadership is top-notch. Some visionary guys are in power here that help spurn the company forward.

Cons

When it comes to engineering, IT, and development, this place is a dead end. If you want to work day and night, spent 60 hours a week at a job that underpays you for 40 hours, this is your place. You will spend the rest of your life here in proprietary-language programming, finding hidden bugs in the system beyond your domain of knowledge. You'll spend most of your time tracking down people who caused a... particular issue, not learning anything new about technology. Documentation is terrible here. Better become best friends with key people to know what's going on. They say they have career advancement opportunity here because you go nominally from associate, to engineer, to senior engineer, but these titles don't mean anything and they don't come with much pay increase. They do pay ok but that's only because their stock benefits are doing well "for the moment." The stock prices has been continually slowing in growth since I started and the lofty promise of And do the math and you'll realize that even if you worked only 40 hours a week, you make less than half the hourly pay of the average contractor. Don't be fooled by the fancy cars some workday employees drive. Seniority is the single most important factor here. If you are employee 500 or less, you're doing well. Also don't expect to design anything because all the important decisions are made by 6+ year seniors. If you worked at a startup or medium sized company you'd be doing the same job as them and make more in the long run.

Advice to Management

Good for you, you're in management. It's better there than down here. But good luck

Workday2015-11-11
  7. "Decent experience"

Former Intern - Associate Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday for less than a year

Pros

The benefits and pay are impressive for an intern Pleasanton is a fairly mice neighborhood to work in, you are near many amazing cities

Cons

The projects don't feel as substantial as they could be, sometimes you feel like you aren't contributing as much as you could be

Advice to Management

Sometimes the interns didn't feel looked out for, like we were left to fend for ourselves

Workday2015-10-16

"Know what you are gettting into"

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Nice people at the company

Cons

terrible proprietary language that has zero transferability as a skill pay is way below industry standard very few benefits misleading and often lying about expectations at work

Advice to Management

get rid of XpressO

Workday2015-08-31
  9. "Good overall"

Associate Software Applications Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Workday for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility to work from home excellent snack program

Cons

no 401k matching product managers sometimes lack common sense and only care about metrics rather than progress.

Workday2015-08-12
  10. "I work here"

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are friendly people, I like the culture, company makes money, really great weather

Cons

don't like the management location is far and hard to get to no gym no cafeteria so I have to eat outside

Advice to Management

Do a better job. Think more about your employees and what they need/want not you want.

Workday2015-03-17