Workday Applications Developer Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Aneel Bhusri
  1. "Very happy employee"

Current Employee - Manager, Software Applications Development in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People come first. This is a place where you can challenge & grow your career

Cons

Unfortunately it's easy to just tick the boxes & collect your wage at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Challenge your staff more

Workday2019-04-20

"Good comapny bad "Programming language""

Current Intern - Applications Developer in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Workday for less than a year

Pros

I find that the culture of the team, and department that I work in is quite good. If I'm stuck on something, there is no problem in asking anybody for help.

Cons

XpressO. Their propritary language. It's not very intuitive and very abstract, making it difficult to do what would be simple tasks in other languages. Since it is only used by Workday there are no external resources to help you understand the language, and the documentation that they do have is not very good.

Advice to Management

Ditch XpressO, or at the very least be a lot more up front beforehand, with what XpressO actually is.

Workday2019-07-12
  3. "Best people"

Former Intern - Applications Developer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Workday

Pros

Great fun, loads of social clubs and whole-building activities like watching the World Cup matches. Loads of new hires which gives a great energy to the place. As an intern I felt very much part of the team I worked with, included and my opinions respected.

Cons

As an application developer you're stuck working in Xpresso which is a dead end career wise. Can sometimes feel like there's no time for work in between all the meetings and activities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I really felt listened to during my time there.

Workday2017-07-26

"Don’t fall for working in Xpresso"

Former Employee - Software Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, some good peers, bagels

Cons

Lower salary then most Terrible manager You don’t get experience in a real language It is really hard to find a job after Workday, don’t let them sell you a bill of goods

Advice to Management

Keep management in check.

Workday2019-07-16
  5. "Great internship"

Former Intern - Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, fun people, top notch product

Cons

Proprietary tech stack is career limiting

Workday2019-05-10

"Don't make the same mistake I did"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good culture, fun co-workers - Great work life balance - Stock is doing well, good ESPP plan, stock refreshers - Generation Workday new grad program is a good way to make friends

Cons

Workday’s App dev teams are the product engineering teams and they build the app using a propriety GUI-based language called Xpresso. The tools teams work on infrastructure and they use traditional programming languages like java and scala. This review is about app dev only. Hate to say it but working in Xpresso is a very bad career move for engineers coming straight out of college. Unless you are proactive and... work on side projects or continue to learn in your free time, you will forget your traditional coding skills. You will also not be exposed to industry-standard practices and tools by working in a proprietary stack. If you ever decide to leave, you'll likely struggle to find a traditional coding job. Workday probably has good retention rates for app devs not because app devs don't want to leave, but because they can't leave. They tell you that you’ll still learn high-level concepts like design and OOP but I don’t think it’s enough to make you a competent engineer. They also tell you that you can eventually transfer to a tools team, but it seems like you have to spend several years doing app dev first before you can switch. Also, I think the salary for app devs is below industry average.

Advice to Management

Not sure what they can do since xpresso is a fundamental part of the tech stack. They're currently working on a replacement for xpresso that's more similar to traditional programming languages but it will still be proprietary and it's unclear when it will be widely adopted.

Workday2018-10-24

"Smiley Face - and cats"

Applications Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at Workday for more than 3 years

Pros

It's the best :D it's a great place to work

Cons

Nada nada nada nada nada

Workday2017-05-30

"Good company with nice people"

Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday

Pros

People here are nice to work with

Cons

sometimes it gets confused with lots of info

Workday2016-10-25

"nepotism....."

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Worklife balance. Spend $$ on employee events.

Cons

Everyone that i worked with was either related or a former colleague of management. Didn't seem that the most qualified person was hired, just the more people you knew at Workday, the more likely you were to get hired/promoted. There is no career path for the few that are hired on as worker bees. The company tries hard to maintains it's image as a "great place to work".

Advice to Management

The ratio of directors to employees is 3:5. Most employees are reporting to Directors. You might want to rethink the hierarchy and not give out titles to friends and family if the person has a 1 year tenure at Workday. You have lost many many qualified people who left due to lack of career growth. Need much much improvement in recruiting process. The process is long and tedious. The recruiters don't call... back or respond when emailed. This has caused very qualified people to pass on the opportunity at Workday.

Workday2016-03-15

"Built for the future, brought to you by the past"

Current Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Generation Workday program really does do its best to acclimate new grads into the workforce. It's an easy way to meet a lot of really cool people. Workday also tends to hire really honestly nice people as new hires. The snack program is fantastic.

Cons

Make no mistake: Workday is PeopleSoft, Peoplesoft is Oracle, and, no matter how much they try to convince themselves, Workday is Oracle. There is zero career advancement at Workday, and it's designed that way. The management chain from the bottom-up is almost exclusively ex-Oracle, ex-Peoplesoft folk. Oracle employees are actively recruited for management or high-priority roles. There are very few people (to... the point where I don't know any, but I've heard of them) who came in to Workday in management positions. If you are not PeopleSoft alumni, your chances of advancement are very, very slim. Internal transfers are slim-to-none despite the constant talks they give new hires about them occurring after their first 12 months. That'd be fine and all if this is just a stop-gap in a career, but as an engineer, Workday has designed a tech-stack that essentially tries to ensure employment solely at Workday. It's all proprietary non-programming, and resembles nothing even remotely similar to programming. It's entirely useless for any future jobs. Don't buy into the "Well, there's a lot of similar ideas and principles with traditional programming languages" talk they give: it's nothing like programming. It's just clicking, and clicking and more clicking. It makes things easy for them, and much harder for the worker, as it's extremely easy to become complacent and your forget traditional programming skills. Working at Workday is a dead end. If you're young and non-Peoplesoft, I cannot stress how important it is to stay far, far away.

Advice to Management

At this point, nothing. They've intentionally created this system, don't see anything changing for a long time.

Workday2015-11-10