Woodruff Sawyer Reviews

Updated 30 Jul 2020

3.9
Woodruff Sawyer Chief Executive Officer Andy Barrengos
Andy Barrengos
Pros
  • "The benefits are competitive and the work/life balance aspect is achievable(in 13 reviews)

• "The People, Flexible Work Schedules, Benefits, and My Team(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Only con is that WS is not as large as some other brokers so some resources are limited, but that is more than offset by the work environment(in 5 reviews)

• "Lots of Favoritism, no accountability from middle management(in 4 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Great company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility during covid is very appreciated, and Andy is a great leader

Cons

Downsides do not outweigh the good

"Lacks Diversity"

2.0
    Current Employee - FTE
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home opportunities, option to work in office closest to your home

Cons

The company lacks serious diversity. We were doing good a few years back but now it seems we are going backwards. Leadership and the HR team need to do better. But again, there is not much diversity on those teams. Think about doing diversity and inclusion training. Majority seems to be uncomfortable talking about the issues going on in the world today. It’s sad when you can count how many minorities are in the company.

"Horrible Experience"

1.0

I worked at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

I tried hard thinking of 1 pro but there weren't any.

Cons

One of the worst experiences of my life. No training at all, expected to be an expert right from the beginning. No support from the people you are reporting to, in fact they will do whatever they can to get you fired. The perks they give like having every other Friday off is very misleading, you are so overwhelmed with the job that you are forced to come in. Taking vacation is a challenge in itself, too much work and you are expected to find someone to cover for you, good luck with that. Dont believe the good reviews, stay as far away from this company as possible.

4. "It is OK"

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

Some smart people here. They mean well.

Cons

Some not so smart people too

"Great place!"

Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

Quality and Clients are first thought when considering any investment. Great firm, with a collaborative team and an abundance of support during the on-boarding and training phases.

Cons

I don't have any feedback for the firm.

"Great people, great culture leading to great clients"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The leadership is invested in ensuring the success of the employees. They continue to show this through encouraging new ideas to be brought to the forefront, seeking out new opportunities to expand skill sets of employees, providing platforms for teamwork and creativity.

Cons

Commission pay structure/frequency...but outside of frequency the plan is robust.

Continue reading

"Modern organization on the outside, traditional organization on the inside"

Former Employee - Account Assistant

I worked at Woodruff Sawyer full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, remote work available, small yet powerful office.

Cons

Micromanagement, lack of professionalism, unrealistic amount of work and deadlines, upper management has favorites, toxic work environment from manager, and zero technical training. It was unfortunate to realize that this company still operated under a traditional style. “Moving up the ladder" meant, essentially, competing against a 10-15 year experienced Account Manager. The work given could vary from punching holes in paper work, to dealing with complex audits. Need help figuring out or basic training how to work a carrier portal? Good luck, there isn’t any. The only training given was theory based and the technical training (how to actually complete an assignment) didn’t exist. After asking for technical training, the manager would give an hours worth, maybe two, of technical training and then I would be on my own. Good luck asking for additional help or if you didn’t take adequate notes. The manager had a short fuse when asked multiple questions. That’s where the outer layer of a seemingly positive company culture started to head towards a negative direction. An entry level employee should come in versed and ready to learn but should never hesitate to ask questions and that’s how I felt near the end of my employment with this company. Whether it be 5 or 100 questions, management should be ready and willing to answer the questions. The majority of the training provided were 1-2 hour long videos, which didn’t end up helping much. Being forced to learn on my own, I eventually reached out to the other employees within the company (both Denver and the SF office) in hopes that they could provide further training, where the manager lacked in doing so. This is where an actual training system would benefit the company. If management, specifically the manager, finds it difficult and frustrating to find the time to train an employee, create a training program. The solution isn’t to find an employee with 10 plus years, on their way out to retire to fill in an entry level position. The company should invest in a fresh batch of people, ready and willing to learn. Finding the seemingly “easy way” by hiring an experienced employee for an entry level position will have immediate relief but will not benefit the company in the long run. The most frustrating, degrading, and embarrassing moment was when I was called out on my work performance, not in a private office or conference room, but out in the open where all of my cubicle neighbors witnessed. I’m not assuming my cubicle neighbors heard what my manager said to me, I know they heard. I know this because my neighbor IM’ed me through the company computer, saying, “Hang in there, it’ll get easier.” I would wake up miserable knowing I had to get ready to go to work. My last weeks of employment were disrupting my mental sanity. This is a great company to work for. My comments to improve the company: don’t play favorites, create a training system/program, invest in your entry level employees just as much as your senior employees and don’t go overboard on the workload.

Continue reading

"Proud of working for Woodruff Sawyer"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The People, Flexible Work Schedules, Benefits, and My Team.

Cons

Growing pains due to growth. But, that’s actually a great problem to have.

9. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time for more than a year

Pros

there is a lot of pros

Cons

Not a lot of cons

"Reassess the leadership team"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff Sawyer full-time

Pros

Some employees have every other Friday off

Cons

High turnover Low morale Favoritism No diversity Compensation is not competitive No annual employee survey No clear career growth path No accountability from the leadership team

Found 93 reviews