Winton Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Winton Group Reviews

Updated Nov 30, 2019

Winton Group Chief Executive Officer and Founder David Harding (no image)
David Harding
Pros
  • "Smart colleagues, free food, nice office, in-house doctor(in 13 reviews)

• "Quarterly bonuses can be good depending on the fund performance,(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is constant change and turnover, so existing staff feel demotivated and unsure about the security of their jobs(in 5 reviews)

• "Senior management, including David Harding, will talk very negatively about other senior management, publically and in front of junior employees(in 4 reviews)

"Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Winton Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed dress code. Flexible working. Internal events.

Cons

The ‘business’ roles of sales, strategy managers, risk managers are accountable for bad performance and declining assets but paid much more than the roles facilitating them to do their jobs. Sales were hit by high profile departures this year and those that remain dont seem to be doing much selling. as a new joiner see if you can come in to one of the director levels roles where nobody knows what they actually do.... huge salaries. Nobody knows what do they actually do. and these people will know who they are. If you think youre capable of losing money in financial markets then there are many roles here for you and they pay big.

Advice to Management

hold senior management accountable for continued failings to make investment returns or raise assets

Winton Group2019-11-28

"Current Employee in London"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in London, England

I have been working at Winton Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Winton is one of the largest hedge funds in Europe. It is well established and is a leading quant fund - the company is HQed in London (good for me because I live in London) - quarterly bonuses - good benefits package - nice working environment (offices, free meals etc) - reasonable working hours - my work is challenging and mostly rewarding - my colleagues are, in the main, motivated professionals who want... to help the company grow and achieve our goals

Cons

- fund performance has been less good for the last couple of years which means lower bonuses - headcount has shrunk which has been painful

Advice to Management

Communication about our company goals is improving - keep going with it

Winton Group2019-11-30

"Wasted potential"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in London, England

I worked at Winton Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Quarterly bonuses, good work life balance, free breakfast and lunch

Cons

David Harding calls all the shots and no one can challenge him or push their ideas, political environment where selfish behaviour is rewarded leading to poor morale across the ranks, people do not feel valued (despite monetary benefits)

Advice to Management

Be brave - hire smart people and let them thrive - it’s the only way to survive

Winton Group2019-11-14

"Damaging"

Current Employee - Research in London, England

I have been working at Winton Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On paper, this is a great place to work. Decent pay, quarterly bonuses, nice offices, good location, decent food.

Cons

David Harding controls everything and the rest of the company spends their entire time trying to make him happy. The 'middle management' has been selected for their willingness to say 'yes', rather than their ability to do their jobs and they will all be very happy to throw you under the bus in order to avoid the wrath of the CEO. The company has also gone through some very hard times with AUM plummeting and most... of the satellite offices closed. Almost all the experienced researchers have left, so I don't see this turning around any time soon. If you're thinking of joining Winton, please read up on how life under a dictatorship functions first. And if you're already working there, get out before the company damages you permanently.

Advice to Management

Please think about what is more important; the well-being of the people working under you or the money you're being paid each month.

Winton Group2019-11-17

"Very political"

I worked at Winton Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, good reputation (back in the days), autonomy

Cons

Very political; strongman culture and CEO took advice only from people who had gained his favour. No impartial consideration of contribution. People were let go at will.

Winton Group2019-10-19

"Feedback from a researcher"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Winton Group full-time

Pros

Marketing and well managed client communication. Mature datasets and experience working with them. An inspiring history. Although systematic trading based on data-driven scientific research may now seem commonplace in London, Winton was one of the firsts to embrace it at scale. Efficiency: like many hedge funds, Winton has no problem getting rid of employees it no longer wants.

Cons

I am writing this review with research job candidates in mind, especially those just out of academia. High employee turnover. Among my cohort of a dozen researchers hired a few years ago, almost none are still at Winton today. We joined Winton from diverse backgrounds, in most cases with a PhD degree and some cases with industry experience. But with perhaps very few exceptions everyone is now gone. Winton... would hire quick (the hiring bar is not comparable to that of other top systematic trading firms) but also expect many to quit or get fired. I think this is fair and see merits to this approach. However the magnitude and implementation did not seem sustainable. As an employee of Winton, your culture and conversations with peers often gravitates around layoffs and speculation as to who will be the next to quit. Some directors boasted about layoffs being the strength of Winton. Winton has acquired a poor reputation as a place to work and develop well rounded systematic trading skills. I felt some directors failed to foster the kind of competitive and collaborative RD environment required to innovate and put research in production. Reality is rather different from Winton’s promotional videos. I think other companies now implement a better data-driven RD, so Winton may have lost its edge.

Advice to Management

Winton can improve the culture by replacing some of the directors who brought about the current situation.

Winton Group2019-06-08
  7. "Good place to work, but not for long"

I worked at Winton Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart colleagues, free food, nice office, in-house doctor. The base salary was ok, but good bonuses.

Cons

No job security - people were let go quite frequently, even back-office staffs. Very political.

Winton Group2019-05-08

"Data analyst"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Winton Group full-time

Pros

Friendly people and paid lunch

Cons

Strict working environment. Employees are treated with a lack of respect

Advice to Management

Be more friendly

Winton Group2019-04-29
  9. "Good company"

Former Employee - Data Processing Analyst

I worked at Winton Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch, snacks, drinks and good pension contribution

Cons

Department was treated almost as a separate company

Winton Group2019-04-04

"Truly unique"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in London, England

I worked at Winton Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities for creatives who think outside the box (in any business area)

Cons

Not suited for everybody

Advice to Management

Keep your uniqueness

Winton Group2019-02-01