Wag Hotels "working with dogs" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Wag Hotels Employee Reviews about "working with dogs"

Updated Feb 5, 2019

4.0
Wag Hotels CEO David Appel (no image)
David Appel
Pros
Cons
  • "dogs sometimes poops and pee in the lobby(in 21 reviews)

• "High turnover of lack luster or poor employee’s makes for never ending training(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "working with dogs"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A great place for people passionate about the care of animals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with dogs and cat every single day. You see most of the same pups and owners on a daily basis. You build a bond with each pet as well as their owner that goes past just the job.

Cons

Things do not last forever. Pets you know for years pass, pets move away and staff move on to new things. You definitely experience change every now and again. But there's always a new pet waiting to walk in and bond with you.

Advice to Management

I have always felt like management puts the well being and needs of the pets in their care first. My advice would be to keep on doing that.

Wag Hotels2019-02-05

"SD location"

Current Employee - All Day Play in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with dogs and being able to help families provide a safe environment for their pups. I'm in canine massage school and part of it is learning about dogs and how they behave and move. Also at least my managers and owners of my location are always there to hear your concerns. It's great when the owners come in and like to hear whats going on with the pups Btw they show up on weekends and help in the back when... needed. I love that our onsite trainer is really helpful too gives you tips and tricks to helping a stressed or over excited dog. I've worked for other day cares where the people font care about their job and I really feel I've upgraded my self and fellow pups that have came to us from other daycares around us.

Cons

Our team is great just wish over time wasnt frowned upon lol I love being with my pups!! Also wish we had an easier way for us to record all our notes for the pups. The company isnt that old so I feel they are doing a good job or working out all the kinks in our system.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on trying to make all our changes go smootherand thanks for hearing all the suggestions we have.

Wag Hotels2019-01-22
  3. "Redwood CIty"

Current Employee - Handler in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time

Pros

Staff cares about the animals, and you get to work with DOGS! Friendly staff and management.

Cons

Sometimes hours can get cut during slow times.

Advice to Management

Keep staff up to date on changes within in the company.

Wag Hotels2019-01-23
  4. "Super Great Company"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Get to bring in your dog to work. -Competitive Pay -Employee Appreciation -Room for personal growth -Promotes within company -Great Perks -Positive Work Environment

Cons

None that I could think of.

Wag Hotels2019-01-24
  5. "It Works if You Work it"

Current Employee - Client Services in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for less than a year

Pros

Experience (administrative, client interaction, time management) Meeting all the wonderful dogs and getting to know their personalities Flexible schedules, steady hours, they'll work around what you need Fun team, you get to know people pretty well, everyone is pretty nice Flexible dress code Nice managers Free coffee/work parties are pretty frequent Slow days are chill, it's nice to be able to clean and... catch up on things Free boarding/daycare for your dog You can take your dog to work 30% retail discount Fun events for dogs and employees

Cons

Pay is barely above minimum wage and not enough for the amount of work that you have to do Holidays are almost unbearable, it's ridiculously busy and understaffed Rules for play group dogs are unreal, I do not like the policy of their playtimes. Add on services that we are pushed to sell are overpriced, they should all be cut in half. Extra work shirts cost $20 for client services Only Christmas day and... Thanksgiving Day are time and a half, which really sucks transitioning from the old company that did it for all holidays Conversational disconnect between back of house staff and front of house staff Little to no room for advancement is probably the biggest con. This is a job, it isn't a career. Management should also be at work as much as a full time employee, not for 5 hours four days a week. High turnover rate Adjusting prices according to surrounding daycare/boarding facilities. Our closest competitor is $2 more than our regular boarding but it includes all day playtime, so they're actually $12 cheaper. We have a 3 strike rules for dogs in playgroups that is not followed. Lack of creative effort, we used to have pictures of all of our adorable dogs but that wasn't the Wag Way so we took them down, several customers complained. It felt homey before and now our lobby feels corporate. Overtime is extremely frowned upon

Advice to Management

Semi-annual raises would be nice. Senior staff raises would be nice. Team get togethers outside of work would be fun. Work should be distributed evenly among everyone, your opener shouldn't have all these tasks when it's slower at night on some days and vice versa. Team leads need to know how to use the software.

Wag Hotels2019-01-23

"Horrible HR department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time

Pros

Working with Dogs, but not the management

Cons

Horrible unorganized management, enjoys keeping new employees and part time employees so they don’t have to pay for benefits, unresponsive HR department

Wag Hotels2017-12-20

"Very bizarre company to be completely honest"

Former Employee - All Day Play Handler in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time for less than a year

Pros

-When Wag says "always hiring", they really mean it. They are always onboarding new staff for training. (Read below for why this is also a con.) -The staff is very friendly and you are guaranteed to make friends with your coworkers, which is nice. -Of course, working with dogs is a huge pro. The dogs are wonderful. -I couldn't really think of any other pros aside from getting a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

-irregular, unpredictable hours (had mine cut by 10 hours and then by multiple days without warning) -literally a dozen trainees at any given time, which slows the function of the entire business -super high turn over rate -the building is falling into disrepair, i.e. cheap fencing that is constantly breaking; chipping paint on the floors and chipping drywall, both of which the dogs eat; unsafe exposed rusty... metal and wires; porous brick walls in the play rooms which can't really ever be sanitary; many broken webcams in rooms; rooms with damaged, bent, or broken feeding slots; rusty drain grates that the dogs walk over for hours and hours all day in the ADP rooms; every inch of the building is absolutely caked in dust that is never removed -there is a lack of sufficient ventilation throughout the entire building, which I'm sure is just as tortuous for the animals as it is for the staff -irregular disciplinary action (some staff get in trouble for things that other staff do not, and the discipline is different depending on which manager you talk to, etc.) -schedules come out on tuesday, and only go from friday-thursday, which makes planning your life around work nearly impossible -because the building is so large and houses so many animals at once, we have a very large staff. with such a huge amount of people in the building at any given time, it's hard to guarantee the highest quality care possible for your pets, because management simply can't watch everyone at once- the employees or the animals.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business! Respect your staff and treat them equally. Use consistent disciplinary action. It's hard to say that the company/management itself isn't the issue when there's such an insanely high turn over rate. Also, take care of the building. Please.

Wag Hotels2017-07-11

"Horrible Pet Boarding and Employment."

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with dogs and great people.

Cons

Management is horrible. Training is none existent. Hours are horrible. Wages are so convoluted and unfair. WILL LIE ABOUT SERVICES THEY PROVIDE!!!! "Trained" to lie to clients about medications and feedings. Over a terrible environment for both pets and people.

Advice to Management

Get your act together or remove those in charge of RWC. Sinking ship.

Wag Hotels2016-12-15

"Working for a greedy corporation"

I have been working at Wag Hotels

Pros

Work with dogs I guess Some benefits

Cons

Management sucks Always understaffed Need to hire qualified people High turnover

Advice to Management

Ask what the workers need to improve a better working environment instead of finding the cheapest solution

Wag Hotels2016-03-22
  10. "Becoming one of my favorite Daycares"

Current Employee - All Day Play in Oakland, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Wag Hotels part-time for less than a year

Pros

- It's pretty fun to be able to work with dogs - Really good about scheduling around school schedules and other work schedules - You have a lot of power to decide if the dog is good or bad for your group and kick them out (though owners will call and get angry if they aren't seen on the camera). Management is very good about communicating to owners if their dogs are having issues. - Managers are receptive to... comments and notes about the building, the dogs, and anything else we need. - Really good communication between everyone (mostly via E-Mail)

Cons

- The live camera - it's very nerve wrecking at times - The building needs work - Lunch breaks should be on time, not at the end of the shift - scheduling more people on certain days. - More opportunities for ADP to leave the room for a break - 7 hours with the dogs can be overwhelming - Wish there was more follow up on certain issues

Advice to Management

Everything has been great so far. I would just make it a priority to work on the schedule so that everyone gets their breaks in a timely manner.

Wag Hotels2016-02-25