Wag Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Wag Hotels Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2019

4.0
Wag Hotels CEO David Appel (no image)
David Appel
Pros
Cons
  • "dogs sometimes poops and pee in the lobby(in 21 reviews)

• "High turnover of lack luster or poor employee’s makes for never ending training(in 9 reviews)

1. "Ehhh It's Okay"

Former Employee - Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time

Pros

-Dogs and Cats - Co-workers can become friends - You learn how to time manage - You learn to multi-task

Cons

- Overworked - Undestaffed -Pay is low compared to having to bust your behind off more than 8 hours a day - Employees are typically young and whiny - 24 hour business, therefore, your schedule is all over the place including working holidays - Having to deal with rich people's pets - Being a manager is the worst position in the company..Staff hates you and the upper management team hates you even more...

Wag Hotels2019-08-19
  2. "Understaffed and Underpaid"

Current Employee - ADP Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Dogs are great to work with

Cons

The pay should be way higher with the amount of work we do

Advice to Management

Pay Us More and help us when needed

Wag Hotels2019-04-22
  3. "Favorite Job"

Former Employee - ADP Shift Lead in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers Autonomy/Independence Ability to move up if show hard work Dogs and Cats Putting owners at ease their dog is well taken care of Learning about dogs/behavior/nutrition/training EVENTS Charlotte Amber and Nicole are amazing managers to work for, open, caring, empathetic, strong, stern, fair, friendly and fun! Awesome people to work for. GIRL POWER

Cons

turn over rate is high, some coworkers only complain and ruin morale.

Advice to Management

disregard all the flack and gossip and complaints. your employees have no idea how hard you guys are working behind the scenes, 24/7. I deeply admire the passion and dedication.

Wag Hotels2019-03-18
  4. "A great place for people passionate about the care of animals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with dogs and cat every single day. You see most of the same pups and owners on a daily basis. You build a bond with each pet as well as their owner that goes past just the job.

Cons

Things do not last forever. Pets you know for years pass, pets move away and staff move on to new things. You definitely experience change every now and again. But there's always a new pet waiting to walk in and bond with you.

Advice to Management

I have always felt like management puts the well being and needs of the pets in their care first. My advice would be to keep on doing that.

Wag Hotels2019-02-05
  5. "For the Love of Pets"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are passionate about pets, great fast paced environment. Love the atmosphere!

Cons

It is a lot of hard work

Wag Hotels2019-02-05
  6. "Great Team Atmosphere!!"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people genuinely love being here and working together. There is support and opportunities if you apply yourself and show initiative. Your voice is heard. We always look to take care of all the dogs that come in and have many different programs so there is usually one that fits.

Cons

That being said, we can't always say yes to every pup that comes our way, just for safety reasons. We really strive to be able to provide safe and humane care for all our Guests and it's unfortunate when we are unable to and need to send them home.

Wag Hotels2019-01-30
  7. "A Good Job. Concerns About Longevity."

Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Casual work attire, but no leggings. :( Taking initiative is greatly rewarded/appreciated. Coworkers are really great. Managers really care about their staff. Very receptive to Clients complaints and compliments. Dynamic work environment (you're not doing the same exact thing daily). Employee care is important to Wag (often supply us with pizza or coffee on a difficult day) Hire/promote... internally. Opportunities for a raise.

Cons

High expectations & not enough time to meet expectations. Not enough hours for staff with plenty of work to do (borderline seasonal employment). False promises for a reward when meeting a goal. Concerns are not always addressed, unless they come from paying patrons. Social life suffers at the hands of your 24/7 work schedule.

Advice to Management

Helping with ALL 9 hotels we currently have, the main focus should be on CONSISTENCY and CONTINUITY between all 9. There are a lot of small exceptions for each location, making it difficult to train and to remember every idiosyncrasy. Client Care Dept often gets blamed for everything that goes wrong. To Clients/Owners, the people answering phones are "neither fit nor qualified" to answer questions and make bookings.... I don't feel like my advice for how the company could be better will ever be valued. They do value customer feedback, but for internal staff not so much. Makes you feel like your insight into the internal workings is not a concern. Wag Hotels DOES value their employees, but I feel there could be better communication, continuity, and general understanding of what an employee's day-to-day looks and feels like.

Wag Hotels2019-01-29

"Great to work with Animals, but extremely mismanaged."

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wag Hotels part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro is working with awesome animals, if you love dogs and cats.

Cons

Wag is a place that cares more about profit than the actual care of the guests. Current managers are extremely lazy and allow employees to do whatever they want as long as you don't bother them. Managers enjoy spending time in their offices, watching Netflix and not keeping an eye on the facility. Large groups of dogs in rooms with inexperienced employees, which causes a lot of dog fights. Current managers turn a... blind eye on animal neglect/ abuse. Current management plays favorites, which leads to unhappy employees. Employees are barely given training and do not know animal CPR. Management doesn't stay on top of cleanliness, which makes a lot of the guests sick and spread kennel cough. I used to work and love the SF location before the management change.

Advice to Management

This is advice for the CEO. Pay attention to your good employees and ask yourself why there is a higher turnover rate than before. Profit isnt everything. Managers, please remember why you're working with animals. Hopefully, you remember the feeling and start taking care and caring for the poor animals.

Wag Hotels2019-03-04
  9. "Dogs come first, employees are a close second!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, Safety, Wages, Benefits, Corporate Support, Leadership

Cons

Working 12 hour days during Holidays.

Advice to Management

Be careful not to trade quality customer service for quantity of sales.

Wag Hotels2019-01-27

"SD location"

Current Employee - All Day Play in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wag Hotels full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with dogs and being able to help families provide a safe environment for their pups. I'm in canine massage school and part of it is learning about dogs and how they behave and move. Also at least my managers and owners of my location are always there to hear your concerns. It's great when the owners come in and like to hear whats going on with the pups Btw they show up on weekends and help in the back when... needed. I love that our onsite trainer is really helpful too gives you tips and tricks to helping a stressed or over excited dog. I've worked for other day cares where the people font care about their job and I really feel I've upgraded my self and fellow pups that have came to us from other daycares around us.

Cons

Our team is great just wish over time wasnt frowned upon lol I love being with my pups!! Also wish we had an easier way for us to record all our notes for the pups. The company isnt that old so I feel they are doing a good job or working out all the kinks in our system.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on trying to make all our changes go smootherand thanks for hearing all the suggestions we have.

Wag Hotels2019-01-22