Version 1 Reviews

Found 416 of over 459 reviews

4.3
Version 1 CEO Tom O'Connor
Tom O'Connor
Pros
  • "Strong focus on the core values and really live by them in everything they do(in 66 reviews)

• "So it's great that Version 1 follows a different approach(in 51 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Can't think of any - would be cons for those who aren't ready for a challenging career, Version 1 push you hard but in a good way(in 39 reviews)

• "I'd prefer if there were no core values or different(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

20 years in and it's still getting better

Aug 8, 2022 - Senior Manager in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I recently passed 20 years in Version 1. For someone who had never stayed longer than 3 years with any other employer, that says it all. I never envisaged myself as someone who would stay long in one place, so why have I? Two main reasons, the growth and the core values. I joined when the company was less than 100 and it's now over 2000 people, and an emerging multinational player. That growth has brought huge opportunities for me and others who stayed, pushed me into areas I'd never thought I'd work in, and technologies and customers that are truly best in class. That growth has brought significant personal reward. Although there were several times I could have left (and thought about it seriously) for more money (sometimes a lot more), when I look back at my earnings over the period they are significantly more than if I had moved. Version 1 really rewards loyalty and the best way to ensure you make really good money is to stay with the company. I look at some of the offers I turned down and I think I escaped - many of the companies aren't there any more or certainly haven't grown to the same extent as Version 1 and therefore would have severely limited my potential to grow (and earn). I see others who have left admitting they made an error, and thankfully a good few have come back. That brings me to the second reason - core values. I look at the behaviours of some of our competitors and just know that their ethics are not for me, how they treat customers, how they treat people. Version 1 is a really family friendly employer. It may not be the very highest payer, but you are guaranteed flexibility, autonomy and empathy - I'm aware of several cases where people needed help and the Company looked after them, quietly and without wanting to make a big deal about it. That means a lot to me. I know if I needed help, Version 1 would have my back and you can't put a price on that.

Cons

There are a long list of cons, but they are all in the context of the above. The pace can be extreme. It's not a place for people who want an easy life. In my experience a year in another company is the same as a quarter in Version 1 and sometimes you just want a break for a while. As the company continues to grow sometimes the processes need to be tweaked, CPD could be better and the offices need a serious overhaul to make them appropriate for a high tech company. I do believe however that there is real intention from Management to find and address any issues that arrive, so whilst there can be irritants at time, if the company wasn't growing there'd be no such irritants and growth trumps everything in my experience.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place for driven people

Jul 17, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is growing so quickly, there are always new opportunities. I've held multiple different roles throughout my time. I was encouraged to apply for new positions regularly and have had a new experience every year. This is a normal experience for people on Version 1. To progress quickly, you need to understand and live by the Core Values. You also need to demonstrate impact on the 3 sides of the strategic triangle: Strong Organisation - delivery excellence and commercial awareness; Customer Success - helpings deliver excellent outcomes for our customers and really caring about their objectives; Empowered People - Coaching, leading, supporting people around you to make the whole team successful. The company is full of highly motivated, driven people with very high standards. There is lots of support for people, and no big egos, but it is important to be a self-starter and to want to do your best work or you might find it tough. Pros: • Growing fast with many new opportunities. • Health insurance. • pension matching. • Quarterly profit share. • Quarterly salary review based on merit -possible to get 1-2 uplifts per year. • Generous training budgets with free access to loads of content/training. • Certifications paid for + attainment bonuses. • Peer-to-peer reward system where you can gift colleagues points when they do a great job - I used mine to get an iPad. • 'Well-Tech' system where you can choose desks, chairs, monitors, etc. all to be delivered to your home for free -on the honour system - complete trust in staff. • Great technology focus with Innovation Labs + Foundation accelerators • Big parties with free food + drink for Summer, Christmas - and lots of other celebrations for Eid, Diwali, etc. • Regular team lunches / dinners - sometimes remote with Deliveroo vouchers for distributed teams. • Remote-friendly, but nice offices in Dublin + Belfast + Redditch + Cork. New offices opening soon in Edinburgh and Newcastle. Small London office but well located near Blackfriars. • Academy model to train people starting in IT and to allow cross-training. • New subsidised gym membership coming soon and electric car scheme in the Uk. • Diversity and Inclusion team and ESG programme that are not just box-ticking- it's taken very seriously with lots of investment.

Cons

Cons : • Still learning how to be excellent at remote + hybrid. • Consulting has different pressure + expectation to product or industry orgs. The pace will be faster and you will be expected to care a lot. • Can't always control what you will be working on, but can ask for rotation and the CEO is passionate about looking after people and making sure they are rotated. • Ensure you really like the culture of high performance before you join. It's really an awesome place to work if all of the values resonate with you.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great people, experience and variety in work

Aug 5, 2022 - Senior Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brilliant people, very helpful and willing to work together and deliver tough projects to customers. Great place to learn and get a wide range of technical experience. Good exposure to various business problem domains due to placement on multiple projects / clients. If you're willing to learn and take on work you will more than likely get good experience. Down to earth line managers. Value based approach to attending office, but you can still attend if you want, ideal. Some good company events like BBQ and meet ups etc.

Cons

The Trust and Empowerment surveys are a good quarterly initiative but ironically it's difficult to trust the manner in which results are summarised to employees. Frequent small promotions (Career Plan Development process) seem to have company's desired effect on salary i.e. slow down salary increases by adding red tape to process, and giving small increments - it's common to lose to inflation.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

Great

Aug 4, 2022 - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is so peaceful to work here.

Cons

I have not received any hikes in 1.5 years.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company tow ork for

Jul 25, 2022 - .NET Developer in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent culture Good benefits Great people Great work life balance

Cons

Salary is not very generous

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent company to work with

Jun 28, 2022 - Technical Business Analyst in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am delighted to share my work experience with Version1. From my line manager to my team, everybody believes working in a healthy environment that Version1 provides. This is an employee friendly organization, best work life balance. can't thank enough for this positive experience.

Cons

I honestly don't see any, I had to move because of my personal commitments and domain.

7. 3.0

Career Growth

Jul 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The opportunity to grow internally

Cons

Can be stagnant at times. You have to know the right people to move internally

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

Jun 14, 2022 - Senior Software Developer in Cork
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for, fantastic benefits, great career opportunities, they really care about their staff at version 1

Cons

I genuinely can't think of any cons while working at version 1, they've been great to me

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very supportive working environment

Jun 9, 2022 - IT Program Manager in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Version 1 is a great place to work, it can be fast paced and challenging at times but you always feel supported. Great core values that help to guide you in your day to day role. Good training and career opportunities. Employees are empowered to make their own decisions and in my experience are trusted and actively encouraged to take the initiative

Cons

Very little downsides I would say, some pressure in the role but that's to be expected

10. 5.0

Great place to work!

Jun 3, 2022 - QA Test Analyst in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Goal-oriented leadership, amazing and bright colleagues * Personal development and growth * Organization with a strong culture thrives on appreciation, recognition, and celebration

Cons

Sometimes work load can be overwhelming

Viewing 1 - 10 of 416 Reviews

Version 1 Reviews FAQs

Version 1 has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 459 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at Version 1 to a friend and 90% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Version 1 employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Version 1. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

87% of Version 1 employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Version 1 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Version 1 to be benefits, management, career development and the cons to be compensation .

Popular Careers with Version 1 Job Seekers