Cover image for VALD

1. 5.0

Rewarding experience at Vald

25 Oct 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been a member of the VALD team for over two years, and have experienced a range of opportunities and challenges here – all of which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. It’s a collaborative, fast-paced and agile workplace that has helped me progress in my career more than I could’ve expected. Having worked in more traditional businesses in the past, this has been a breath of fresh air, as I’ve felt that I’ve got out exactly what I’ve put in, rather than being stuck in a strict hierarchy or inflexible career path. While at VALD, I’ve regularly been given opportunities to step up and perform under pressure, for example when new products are being released or for specific product delivery milestones. This hasn’t been easy, as management’s expectations are set very high, but this has brought out the best in me and helped me produce work I’m truly proud of. This has been all the more rewarding when my work contributes to our team delivering a big, bold goal like launching a new product or delivering on a critical contract. More than anything, the people at VALD are what make this such a rewarding place to work – they’re intelligent, passionate and friendly but also frank and honest, which means we don’t always agree, but we always push each other to be better. Having read some of the negative reviews here, I can say that they don’t reflect my experience at VALD at all. I cannot comment on individual circumstances, but I do believe that the negative reviews are more likely to be due to a mismatch in expectations, rather than any deeper cultural issue at VALD. A few others have said it in their reviews, but VALD is definitely not for everyone – our culture encourages candour, which I know many people wouldn’t enjoy, but it’s also a culture where good ideas and results always win out, regardless of role or rank. I have benefitted from this culture myself, as I’ve worked very hard but always felt like I’ve been rewarded for it. I think that for anyone looking to be challenged and supported while being part of an innovative, fast-growing company in an exciting industry, this is for you. If you’re willing to work hard, take on frank feedback and direction, try new and sometimes daunting things, make mistakes and learn from them, you’ll thrive here. Above all else, for anyone considering joining the team at VALD, I’d encourage you to come in for a meeting and judge the environment and culture for yourself. This is a truly great business and it would be a shame for great people to miss out on an opportunity at VALD on account of a few bad reviews from former staff. If nothing else, you’ll get a top-notch coffee and (if you time it right) a free breakfast or lunch made by the in-house kitchen staff for your time.

Cons

Parking can be an issue but Vald has subsidised a few parking locations in the area - which is far more than most businesses in the area.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Intern

Great culture!

24 Oct 2022 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

- the people you get to work with are super welcoming and friendly. There is a ping pong table at lunch time which lots of people get around and play and was a great way to get to know people in the office - the projects you get to work on are pretty cool and the technology is super advanced. Regardless of if you love sports the data is super interesting from a health perspective as well - the amazing chefs who prep breakfast and lunch (and some snacks)

Cons

I don't have any negative comments to add :)

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the VALD team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A place you want to work

20 Oct 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Brisbane
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at VALD is all about making work a place you want to be. As someone who has worked at many places, I know that this goal is pretty hard to achieve, but it works here. Shared meals and company toys (the ping pong table is very popular) are a start, but it's the time and resources spent in sharing the vision of the company that makes you feel part of it all. I feel very motivated at work because I understand how my contribution is making a difference. From a technical career growth perspective, VALD is keen to do what is required to make our products and systems better. I am constantly encouraged to investigate new technologies and methodologies, and I never feel rushed to release something before it is ready...I've switched my focus on a technical level since arriving, and have enjoyed the challenge immensely. To get the most out of VALD, you do need to buy into the culture. Maybe it's not the place for everyone...but if you want and are keen to work hard, in an environment that rewards initiative and teamwork, then it's a great place to be.

Cons

The food is good, it's hard not to eat too much ;)

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture and great team to be apart of

13 Oct 2022 - Product Owner in Newstead, Queensland
    Business Outlook

Pros

Have only been here for four weeks but the team has been so warm and welcoming. I read below there was some questioning comments around the culture and it being a boys club but I have not seen that here. Im Terms of my experience, it has a great work life balance where I’m out the door by 4. People are from all walks of life who are respectful, hard working and we have times where you can have a laugh. I have worked in big corporate all my life and moving here was a big leap but I don’t regret it. Leadership are not micromanagers who are approachable and friendly. They have trust in me to get the job done which is really empowering. I am getting to work on exciting projects and I’m not being held down by over governance which is what I have been used to my whole life which is a nice change. They have chefs and barista on site which is a big plus (my wife is very jealous) but don’t think there is some ulterior motive here with being in office 5 days a week as you can work from home as you see fit. The building is clean and have some cool things like a driving simulator, basketball, table tennis, gym (I don’t have excuses now to attend one) and massage therapist on certain days.

Cons

I don’t personally have anything bad to say, there is only pros and haven’t seen or experienced anything which is negative in my view.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Classic toxic workplace with sexism, bullying, gossiping, gaslighting and micromanagement

21 Oct 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team members Discounted breakfast and lunches available with salary sacrifice Promising tech

Cons

Team members are fantastic, they're talented people who are generally stressed and fearful of the executive team for the following reasons; 1. Team members are constantly walking on eggshells in case they say or do something that upsets the CEO. 2. There are sexist remarks and women are judged on their appearance. I have overheard discussions where some of the leadership team (all males) were deciding whether certain female team members have a "Mum-bod". 3. There are cliques - those who are "included" and everyone else. Those who feel "included" in the inner circle of VALD take it upon themselves to report what other team members are doing and passing judgement and gossip along to the CEO and executive team. They stab you in the back while smiling to your face. 4. The Founders consistently give conflicting instruction. The CEO wants one thing, the other something else and you're caught in the middle. It's a no win situation. 5. You try to address your concerns to deal with issues that have arisen and you're told to suck it up and that's just how things are. They aren't interested in improving the culture or dealing with sometimes serious situations. They dismiss you as not being a great fit for VALD. They only care about making sales - no matter the cost. 6. Most people don't even make it to a year at VALD. The churn is extraordinary as they just burn through people.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 5.0

Great place to work

12 Aug 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- great collaborative culture - ability to make a difference in an emerging industry (HealthTech) - huge amount of employee benefits, breakfast and lunch, social events - modern workplace with nearby subsidised parking

Cons

- VALD isn't for everyone - you will be challenged and it isn't a place to cruise from 9-5 - scaling quickly which means you need to be comfortable with change and ability to adapt to the growth

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Positive work environment

12 Aug 2022 - Manufacturing in Brisbane
    Business Outlook

Pros

I found the team at VALD supportive, encouraging and clearly aim to provide a positive experience for employees. Interactions with everyone from colleagues to management and owners were respectful and friendly and I found almost everyone was happy to be at work for the day, including myself. Healthy meals cooked in house, great coffee made by in-house barista and a gym to use also made working life balanced and easy. Finally, being apart of health and sports tech was invaluable experience and VALD were driven to provide high quality products to customers. Highly recommend if given the opportunity.

Cons

Parking is a bit tricky though options are available

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

VALD showed me the red flags to look for in future

14 Sep 2022 - Anonymous
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I worked with some great people who are very good at their jobs. There are wonderful people scattered across the company too. - Breakfast, lunch and coffee made each day by in-house chefs and a barista.

Cons

- Management is extremely temperamental. You're the cool cat until one day, you're not, and the shift in attitude from management when they decide they don't like you anymore is so obvious that it's comical. This is especially true in particular departments. - I had to very quickly learn how to play "the game". VALD's the place to be if you love internal politics. Just about every day there would be some kind of drama. - I should also mention the rampant sexism that starts at the top and trickles all the way down. Very much an Old Boys vibe to the place. No thanks. I watched a significant number of women leave VALD during the time I was there, often for reasons related to this. I also received numerous inappropriate comments from various members of management, especially the CEO. There's no one to complain to because the "HR department" is actually just a hiring manager. - They say that they have a culture of not counting hours. This is just a roundabout way of saying that you're often going to be working overtime for no extra remuneration. To compound this, you won't even be acknowledged for the extra work you do. It's just expected. And it doesn't work both ways - if you leave even a minute before 5pm for whatever reason, you have eyes watching your back all the way out the door, and you'll hear about it the next day. - Micromanagement is a serious issue at VALD. You're treated like a child in how you organise, manage and complete any given task. This attitude towards employees ties into my previous point about being watched until 5pm - there's just no autonomy. Every week you need to fill out a very detailed report on all the tasks you have done/are doing/are planning to do. If you haven't included every minute detail you'll be pulled up on it when the CEO goes through it on the weekend. It's seriously overkill and a massive waste of time. We were even advised to block out upwards of an hour each Friday to complete the report to the level of detail requested by the CEO. The irony of course being that this in itself then becomes a task worthy of being put into the report - I never did this because I'm not sure the humour would have been appreciated. - Following on from this, things always inexplicably change at the last minute. You can spend weeks on a project, go through all the correct approval procedures, have everything signed off by the right people, and then have the final product entirely scrapped on a whim. It's incredibly disheartening when this happens, for obvious reasons, and especially because you did everything right. - There are no career progression opportunities, at least where I was, but I suspect this is mostly true across the company. This was ultimately the final straw for me, so I'll elaborate: I frequently asked to pick up more responsibilities in the direction I wanted to progress my career, and was always blocked by management. I don't believe this was due to poor performance, as my head of department always had positive feedback for me. I believe it's because I was doing a number of things that were not really within my job description and management didn't want to have to find someone else to do them. Management often says that job titles don't matter - which is easy to say as a CEO, CSO, etc. I think they say this so that they can pile on random tasks and responsibilities that aren't in your job description and you can't really argue - because apparently your role doesn't mean anything. Conveniently, this is also a pretty effective way of blocking promotions. After having been prevented from picking up more responsibilities, I was basically doing tasks just to fill out my weekly report for the CEO. I did not feel valued at all outside my immediate team, I wasn't learning, and I certainly wasn't enjoying myself. So I quit.

7 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

10 Aug 2022 - Software Engineer in Brisbane
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cheap food (hardly a pro).

Cons

Racism, Sexism, Bullying, Harassment (from the top down, especially from directors). Manipulative management. Employees have been fired on the spot for defending themselves. Extremely high employee turnover. The majority of employees leave the company on bad terms. VALD is a household name at the Fair Work Ombudsman. Easily in the top 10 most toxic workplaces in Australia. Extreme micro management. No training. No professionalism. Late nights and weekends are demanded (unpaid).

5 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Opportunity to be a part of an exciting growth story

29 Mar 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

VALD is a global leader in musculoskeletal measurement technology. Working at VALD is a rare opportunity to work in a company that has such strong ambitions to change the market. It is definitely a place to work if you want to be a part of a business that is successfully navigating the path from startup to scale up. You will be exposed to a variety of work and given the opportunity to challenge yourself. In my experience the team are all very friendly and look out for one another. The founders of the company are approachable and generous in sharing stories about the growth of the business. The team regularly hang out together outside work hours. There was a cooking competition recently, and there is a run club, a soccer team in the local comp and even a sneaky whiskey appreciation club. VALD also has great perks - including food prepared by experienced and talented chefs, a barista that is a wizard with the coffee machine, company subsidised remedial massage and physio services (run out of VALD's R&D clinic), fully kitted out gym, and amazing company parties and team functions.

Cons

If you are looking for a corporate job where you clock in and clock out, then VALD is not for you. VALD is at a significant stage of growth and facing new challenges. That means that there will be times when there will not be handrails to guide you. However, my experience is that the team will be there to support you.

4 people found this review helpful

VALD Response

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to review VALD on Glassdoor. We appreciate your feedback. We are glad that your experience at VALD is fulfilling despite the challenges of scaling globally. We do expect a lot from our team members and it looks like you are embracing those opportunities for growth personally and as a team. Your comment around trying to keep the company culture as we scale is an interesting one. As the team grows we are excited to see new team members further evolving the culture globally. We welcome all feedback on how we can continue to retain and enhance the culture!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews