Urban Outfitters Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated 16 Jun 2020

3.6
Urban Outfitters Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Hayne
Richard A. Hayne
Pros
Cons
  • "long hours sometimes and not fun(in 144 reviews)

• "The pay is barely above minimum wage, so it would be good for a high schooler who needs a little money(in 81 reviews)

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Urban"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time

Pros

Discount is nice, employee appreciation helps around Christmas.

Cons

No commission on sales. Store can do really well staff should be rewarded for pushing items. Staff receive minimum wage not reflective of living requirements.

Continue reading
  2. "The Pay is too low, and its just a bad company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is great Clothes are cute Usually coworkers are nice

Cons

The pay is barely above minimum wage, so it would be good for a high schooler who needs a little money? but they don't even hire until you're 18. Management didn't really allow for much growth, I had a lot of experience but was never allowed to use the POS system The company makes a huge profit so they can definitely afford a higher wage for the sales associates The stylist for DFW was incredibly rude and treated the sales associates like trash, it was a well known fact no one liked her.

3. "Great Managers, Chill Work Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

management, co-workers, employee discount, 401(k) plan

Cons

minimum wage, scheduling, customer base

4. "Team Leader"

2.0
    Former Employee - Team Lead
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time for more than a year

Pros

youthful team, always changing, fresh stock and ideas

Cons

Minimum wage, not much variety in the work.

"Retail Racism"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm going to keep this review as truthful as possible in reviewing my experience. The only pro I can think of working at UO is the fact that you can come to work severely inebriated and still hold a job.

Cons

Management and Supervisors are reaching a new level of racism. This racism is aimed specifically at African employees and they try to cover it up through alligator tears and fake smiles. No matter how hard you work as an employee its always going to be about them promoting a white person over you. I have never found this to be fun, creative, inspirational or uplifting. If you are a African person applying for this job, look elsewhere. Aside from that they rarely give breaks resulting in someone who is tired and uninspired from a toxic racist work environment. Also they don't fully train you if you are black. They expect you to just know things that you have never been cyclically taught. This gives them a reason to point out you having gaps in your knowledge. The treatment is so unfair with also getting paid minimum wage. In conclusion, it's always about the money with this company. I'm giving this company one star and thats because I'm being generous. They look at you as being cool because you're African but again. Its only about the money.

6. "Great People, Limited Growth"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

-The people are amazing! I loved all of my coworkers

Cons

-They judge your cash register expertise by how many emails you can get from people - Minimum wage with little incentive to move up

"Horrible Hours, Bad Management, High Expectations"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount is great, music is fun to listen to, and the "culture" or people around you that you work with. The clothes are a nice plus because they're super cute to be around and it's a generally easy job, it's retail, not much more to say about that.

Cons

No room for growth although managers constantly talk about how much "growth" they've gone through, but fail to mention they had to stay a basic sales associate for about 2-3 years before receiving any type of appreciation or promotion -- aka you work for 2-3 years making $7.50 an hour, minimum wage, for that many years, as a part timer just to finally get a promotion and be making $12 as a Team Lead depending on what type of promotion you get. Management only cares about you and gives you more hours if you constantly brown nose, meaning if you're on their good side they'll give you up to 35 hours, but if they for any reason dislike you or find that you "don't take the job seriously" (because you're a student and a part time job isn't your primary concern or priority), they will bump you down to even 4 hours a week. Not to mention URBN itself is constantly under fire because of how many designs they've stolen from other small local brands and companies, this happened in my hometown when I worked at the local store and it even hit the news. Again, like I said prior, it's retail so I don't expect much, however it is still a job and you shouldn't be treated less than just because it is. When you actually get hours, you sometimes don't get off until about 12 if it's during the holidays because they ask you to re-fold shirts 20 times in a row for the next day. It is a lot of exhausting, physical work for bare minimum pay when the company makes as much money as it does. Just because it's a sales associate job doesn't mean that it deserves such horrible pay. It's still service industry work and it's still mentally and physically tiring. Work on the pay and the way you treat your workers, and maybe you wouldn't have such a bad turnover rate.

Continue reading
  8. "Good discount, bad pay"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Delray Beach, FL

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

40% discount was nice, co workers were cool

Cons

Was only making slightly above minimum wage

9. "Great company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great supportive coworkers

Cons

Minimum wage pay, no benefits provided, little room for raises

10. "Good flexibility and benefits but low pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time

Pros

- Good flexibility - Opportunity for over time - Great staff discount

Cons

- Retail hours (early and late shifts) - Minimum wage

Found 81 reviews