University of Pennsylvania Health System Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 14 Nov 2019

3.6
University of Pennsylvania Health System CEO Ralph W. Muller
Ralph W. Muller
  1. "Patient Care Technician"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is friendly and accessible, good pay, night/weekend shift differentials, busy but rewarding work

Cons

Sometimes disorganized, rotating shifts, often understaffed

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-08-27
  2. "Healthcare"

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working at Penn Medicine was fun and a great learning experience. It had room for growth and my direct manager was always encouraging staff to learn more.

Cons

hospital/department reorganizations sometimes it could be overwhelming and make you wonder about the safety of your future with the organization.

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-08-18
  3. "Great Co-Workers but the Acuity is daunting"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are well supported in your role and Penn only hires the best nurses. On average the nurses surrounding you have many years of experience to pull from!

Cons

The acuity of the patients is at an all time high. People come from around the world to receive cancer and transplant care which causes your assignment to be really heavy at times.

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-07-10

"Medical Records"

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System part-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Coworkers can be difficult

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-06-27
  5. "Clinical nurse II"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Liked my co workers. Liked the patient population I cared for. Good pay but worked a lot.

Cons

HR not helpful. Management is terrible. If you’re not well liked by management on the floor then stay under the radar. Hard to keep up with social life outside of work. Not flexible with family or personal emergencies. Penn thinks they’re the best when there is much room for improvement. Worked there for two years and saw some horrific things done by other nurses, nothing would be done by management because the... nurses were well liked or went to penn. Toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Need to hire managers with the right credentials and experience. Penn needs to support their employees more.

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-07-10
  6. "SHADOW before taking a job."

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of nice people at the hospital trying to do good things for their patients. I have no complaints about the lower rungs of the ladder here - unlicensed personnel, most staff RNs, many of the physicians - were all good practitioners working hard. - pay and compensation packages for nursing staff is great through Penn Medicine. This is not unique to PAH, but the Penn Medicine system. Any entity within will... likely be at the top of the salary range for the Philadelphia area.

Cons

- thought this was a great opportunity for me in my career. Turned out to be a mistake that I highly regret. (though I suppose learning experiences have value too.) - lots of management issues, which starts at the top. There will be plenty of micromanagement and most lower rung managers live in fear of making management happy. If you do accept a position there, make pleasing top level management your #1 goal. if... you're okay with that, you'll go far. - management issues filter down to middle management where every person is only looking for their best interest and how they can personally advance. - my biggest takeaway from this is that I will never accept another position without shadowing again. I started applying for a new job (any job) three weeks into the role. - had I shadowed, I think I might have picked up on some of these issues. For bedside RNs, this place requires a lot of flexibility as it is very much a hospital-based staffing model, rather than a unit-based staffing model. Staff gets moved for the needs of the hospital regularly. (at least while I was there, this could have changed.) So if you dislike being pulled to other units regularly, this is probably not the best setup for you. If you don't mind it, then that should be a non-issue.

Advice to Management

I don't have any as I doubt they would listen. This advice is more for people looking at it as a great opportunity. Which it can be - Penn is a huge institution so there are a TON of opportunities. - for employees - just remember, no one else is looking out for your best interest. If you have a license, you should consider insurance to protect yourself.

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-06-24

"Hall Mercer Mental Health"

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time

Pros

Flexible Family Based therapist schedule. No micro management. Excellent training opportunities. Good leadership.

Cons

Low Salary. No room for Professional growth.

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-04-23
  8. "Great hospital"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, friendly staff, decent work/life balance and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Managerial overhaul of department last year led to a lot of confusion and mismanagement.

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-04-25

"Penn Presbyterian Finance/Manager"

Former Employee - Finance Supervisor

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Innovative medical environment, great patient focused care

Cons

Poor work environment. Management can be very bureaucratic, self serving career focused rather than staff/department focused. Finance department had little to no communication, and no accountability and a very high turnover rate (I was the fourth manager in five years). Only place I've ever worked where I was both commended for doing an excellent job and days later informed I was not meeting department standards. ... The culture is unfortunately politically motivated. I would not recommend a job here. Hours are long - 50+ per week all year long and while there is ample access to public transport, there are no on campus employee parking garages. Parking involves a shuttle and remote lots - and it's expensive.

Advice to Management

Exit interviews. Conduct research into why employee turnover is so high - solve the problems.

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-03-22
  10. "Good Company to work for"

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits

Cons

daytime parking cost a lot

University of Pennsylvania Health System2018-01-25