United Airlines "flight attendants" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

United Airlines Employee Reviews about "flight attendants"

Updated Dec 13, 2019

4.0
United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz
Oscar Munoz
1,194 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "New flight attendants will most likely start as a reserve but it was no problem for me to be on reserve for a few years since I enjoyed the job(in 65 reviews)

• "Upper Management are not willing to compromise or hear opinions of the people who actually work on the tools(in 61 reviews)

Reviews about "flight attendants"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "United Airlines Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Starting Salary, Flexible schedule, lots of International and Domestic destinations, Company values its employees.

Cons

Starting out as a Reserve Flight Attendant

Advice to Management

Keep working on ways to make quality of life better for Reserve Flight Attendants

United Airlines2019-12-13

"Flight Attendant Contract needs work"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues, most supervisors are ok, United is buying newer planes, great route network

Cons

The Flight Attendant contract needs a ton of work. Higher hourly is needed (we make less than Delta/AA). Flying is very hard on the body, we should be compensated fairly with more humane work rules and salary.

Advice to Management

To be fair, Management has turned around company culture- it's getting a lot better. Keep up innovation and developing hard/soft product, customers are noticing. Please compensate the flight attendant work group, it's a very physical job and can get difficult dealing with passengers who are crammed in planes with seats that continue to get smaller.

United Airlines2019-10-25

"United Airlines"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to meet new awesome people, learning about different cultures, food, dance etc.

Cons

One of a major con of being a flight Attendant, is Jet log.

United Airlines2019-08-20

"Flight Attendant Job Information"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

International and Domestic travel benefits for self and family. Flight benefits are dependent on whether there is additional space available on the aircraft. They are called "Stand-By" tickets (unconfirmed seats... you get to the gate and put your name on a list... then ONLY if there is space available... you will get assigned a seat/ ticket). Total cost of flights for self and a very select number of primary... beneficiaries(I had 3) will cost you approximately 10-15% of ticket price. This percentage can change depending on where you are flying to. I paid $150 for a one way ticket to Tokyo.

Cons

You do not get to directly choose your base location from ALL of the United bases! When you are in training you will be given a list of bases with available flight attendant openings. We were given 6 choices of locations around the United States and asked to rank our preferences. Then when we received our base assignments our entire training group was sent to only 2 of the 6 bases. We were told we could transfer... within 6 months. Although this is true... if the base you are wanting to work out of does not have openings you will not be able to go there until space becomes available. Some places have a transfer waiting list of 1,000+ people. All transfers are based on seniority. Also, Flight Attendant Pay does not change whether you are based out of SFO (higher cost of living) or Houston (lower cost of living). Having experienced being based out of both base locations; I can definitely say that a salary of $1,600 a month while living in the bay area should be illegal.

Advice to Management

Flight Attendant hourly pay/hours worked need to begin when Flight Attendants are required to report for duty. Currently, Flight Attendant hourly pay/hours worked do not begin until the aircraft door is closed and they end when the aircraft door is re-opened. While a Flight Attendant is between flights, flights are delayed, or is awaiting a flight (in full uniform) we are paid a per diem rate of $1.25 per hour. When... I asked management about this being illegal, I was told United operates under old Railroad Laws thus strategically gets away with not having to pay Flight Attendants their hourly rate/hours worked. Here's an example: report for duty time is 6:00am (FA's are expected to be prepared and dressed in uniform.) Customer Boarding time is 7:00am. (FA earns $1.25) Aircraft door closes at 8:00am (FA earns $2.50 for two hours of work) How is this ok? This needs to change.

United Airlines2019-07-10

"Good company"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

United has a very relaxing environment all in all. It gives you room to grow

Cons

I believe the flight attendant schedules can be altered !!

Advice to Management

Cater to your Flight attendants more. We are the brand of the company. Happy us makes happy customers.

United Airlines2019-05-06

"Fear Based Environment"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exceptional travel benefits. Excellent pay past the 5 year mark. Amazing flight attendant coworkers and work group.

Cons

Inflight Management at lower and mid level tries to motivate flight attendants by creating a fear based environment, ring by fear. Serious unethical and often illegal behaviors and actions carried out by supervisors and managers. Company's stated values and culture are a charade in the inflight department . Standards, company "values", and ethics are expected in the flight attendant role but leadership makes their... own rules. Leadership and management never takes responsibility for even the most obvious or blatant mistakes no matter how harmful to the flight attendant work force. Flight Attendants arriving at international Layovers and company fails to secure hotels, and still refuses to take any responsibility or apologize. No concern for their employees welfare or well being on any level, but they expect complete and utter loyalty. You are just a number. Uneducated, inexperienced and unequipped individuals given power as supervisors. Since the merger this company is an outright disaster!

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to take a true in depth look at the fear based management that takes place on a base management level. Fear based environments do not create more productive high preforming employees, instead it beats down moral and makes employees more prone to errors or lack of motivation to work, out of fear. Give your employees the tools they need to create a quality experience for customers. Change... directions and focus on quality of customers experience instead of penny pinching nonsense that makes it an awful experience for your customers. It doesn't matter how kind your employees are, when the company is too cheap to provide basics like napkins and working airplanes the customer will still be disgusted with United Airlines.

United Airlines2019-03-21

"Doesn't care about flight attendants."

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great travel and insurance benefits. Amazing co-workers.

Cons

As a flight attendant, you are only paid for the actual time in the air. Countless hours of the day are worked without pay. They build schedules so that you have very poor work/ life balance for the first five years. It's not uncommon to become sick due to poor scheduling.

Advice to Management

You could easily make a few changes to show less bias among work groups and show flight attendants they are an integral part of the team.

United Airlines2019-02-26

"Decent company"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Houston, TX

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay You can pick up trips on reserve More destinations than any airline

Cons

Managment The older senior flight attendants that need to retire First class food is not very good in comparison to other airlines

Advice to Management

Treat your flight attendants better.

United Airlines2019-01-03
  9. "Flight attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Littleton, CO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at United Airlines part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility and great travel benefits. Part-time. Lots of down-time during slow travel months.

Cons

Huge corporate company. Impersonal. Being on call is very difficult. Pay is low until 5th/6th year of flying — during which hourly pay increases substantially. Difficult to coordinate with a second part-time job when being a reserve (on call) flight attendant.

United Airlines2018-12-25

"Flight Attendant"

I worked at United Airlines full-time

Pros

Money is ok. Yearly raise with union contract. Health care and benefits are good too. IF you hold a line, then life is pretty flexible, if you sit reserve, it's terrible.

Cons

The union is garbage. Union dues are high, especially for new hires. Union is terrible at negotiating anything. All they do is nickel and dime everything. They help people who shouldn't be working there get their jobs back. They also ruined the profit share structure. Also if you are a flight attendant, be prepared to only be a flight attendant for your entire career. If advancement is something you want, you... won't find it here. You will continue to serve sodas to people.

United Airlines2018-11-10