USAA "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

USAA Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 3, 2019

3.5
USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker
1,177 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "The first year on the phones are the hardest if you do not have previous call center experience(in 356 reviews)

• "Some managers (Not to be named here) said that they cared for the military and their families(in 122 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company with amazing benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always trying to make work life balance possible.. work from home is the greatest and also very flexible hours

Cons

Depends on manager and possible make the easiet job miserable

Advice to Management

Please make sure your manager knows all processes

USAA2019-10-30

"Not the same company as when I started"

Current Employee - Facilitator in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, annual bonus, generous PTO

Cons

Work life balance is not of place. Depending on the position not able to take time off for simple things like appointments. Over loaded work staff

Advice to Management

Hire more trainers and provide us with the materials and tools needed to accomplish our job.

USAA2019-11-03
  3. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Decision Science Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits Work Life Balance Leadership Works with You Flexible

Cons

Large Office Can have multiple projects at one time

USAA2019-10-11

"Great place to learn and grow, work-life balance is a pipe dream for my team"

Current Employee - Software Developer & Integrator

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Co-workers are really nice, friendly, and helpful. I've always had great managers and interesting work. GREAT benefits. Depending on the team, you'll have great work-life balance. Awesome mission. Shareholders are the members. IT stack is still behind, but is quickly modernizing.

Cons

Depending on the team, you'll have horrible work-life balance. We rely a ton on third party contractors, which they're great, but there is a lot of turnover which means some quality drops and more phone calls in the middle of the night when things break. Work-life balance is getting hit hard recently with all the pushes towards compliance. Also, depending on the team, you won't be promoted until you're past the 2... years waiting period.

Advice to Management

Yes, we need to be compliant, but we still need to focus on the members. Code quality and change management quality has been dropping. Budgets for support teams shouldn't be slashed. The combination of the things above are affecting the work-life balance of those on production support teams and availability of the environment.

USAA2019-09-25

"Bittersweet"

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

• Amazing Benefits • Yearly Bonus • Parental Leave for moms and dads • Company mission • Serving our military men and women and their families

Cons

• Extremely stressful, especially during purchase season. • The culture has really changed since General Joe left, and NOT in a good way. • Management stresses that you should have a work/life balance but limits approvable PTO per team so severely that it is hard to get approved time off. • OT is micromanaged to the extent that you are made to feel like you are taking advantage of it when in reality you are... already so exhausted by Monday at 5pm because you worked all weekend just to keep your head above water, and all you really want to do is spend time with your family. • Management does not appropriately plan for influx of loans and department turnover. Hiring additional staff in the middle of purchase season that will be trained by the END of purchase season is too little, too late. Current employees are already crying at their desks due to stress. • Loan processing system goes down at the most inconvenient times and there are so many work arounds to the work arounds that it’s ridiculous. • IT help desk is hit or miss. If you get someone that is competent your computer issue may be resolved in 10 minutes, otherwise your looking at a 45 minute phone call that accomplishes nothing and ends up in an escalated ticket with no ETA on when the issue will be resolved. • Quality metrics are laughable as 9 times out of 10 one hand doesn’t know what the other hand is doing.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees that do the work every single day. A lot of us really have good ideas and solutions. When you put rules into place, enforce them! Don’t bend them in every single circumstance just because we are busy. That is when the most mistakes are made and the loan is probably not compliant.

USAA2019-09-30

"Great company to work for but..."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits from day 1 Great work schedule flexibility PTO hours generated every pay period Education assistance is great so use it to pursue your career of choice. Military culture

Cons

It is a call center and you are expected to sell insurance on almost every call. Work life balance is not that great, unpaid lunches, bonus is determined by overall business results. Florida campus is expected to outperform other campuses but you will get paid the same. Sales practices are inconsistent sometimes as well as instructions given. Managers tend to focus on what you did wrong no matter what. Even if... the call was perfect they are trained to find something you could do better. No the highest paying insurance company

Advice to Management

The coaching model used at Usaa is not great. Managers are trained to focus and emphasize on "oppurtunities" rather then giving credit where credit is due.

USAA2019-09-27
  7. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Fun people to work with. Great amenities with gyms, ping pong, intramural sports, etc. Very good work life balance.

Cons

Slow to adopt latest tech. Can focus too much on perfection and not moving forward.

USAA2019-09-18

"You can retire here, but it may be a long road"

Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is its own world and a good one. work/life balance is good but watch out where you work for flexibility benefits are top in class the USAA brand is true to its values

Cons

-advancement could be years -becoming a big bank puts the culture in question -making management is still very old thinking; what college did you go to? who can I trade with this manager to get what I need, who do I know, tenure driven -parking is like socal, once you park...don't move!

Advice to Management

As the bonus slowly drops to the industry average of 10%, there needs to be new benefits that fill the gap coming. we already get great benefits, but many at USAA the salary is tied into the bonus. This will soon be a broke system.

USAA2019-08-31

"Good people and mission, work can be lackluster at times."

Current Employee - Software Developer and Integrator I in Plano, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance Good pay and benefits

Cons

Collaboration can be difficult depending on the team you are on

USAA2019-09-09
  10. "Relationship specialist"

I worked at USAA

Pros

Good pay, great work life balance, great perks at work.

Cons

Management only sees you as a number. No personalized plan for movement within the company.

Advice to Management

Team builders should be mandatory and get to know your employees on a personal level

USAA2019-08-31