USAA Software Developer Reviews

Updated 28 Jul 2020

3.8
USAA CEO Wayne Peacock
Wayne Peacock

"I cannot recommend this job as a contractor. Great place for a direct-hire"

Current Contractor - Software Developer in Plano, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at USAA for less than a year

Pros

I happen to be lucky enough to work on a great team with great people. My voice matters when it comes to creating/modifying processes and utilizing technologies. I work with a team lead who cares about the product that is put out. I work with a scrum master that always keeps the team Agile (being able to respond quickly to business needs) and moving forward. Technology-wise, containers are the future and USAA are pushing teams to utilize these container-based technologies. I am compensated fairly well and I love the free coffee. I love having a standing desk. I also love being in a modern office (able to write on walls, ping pong tables, free coffee) with a view. The Plano office is in a great location with amazing shopping and great restaurants. I can't recommend this job as a contractor, however, if you are a direct hire (FTE), this is a great place to work at.

Cons

Contractors are 2nd class citizens: Contractors are not allowed to attend company events. There are FTE-only team meetings (the FTE acronym makes no sense to me since most contractors are full time employees). Contractors are assigned desks next to each other and away from the FTEs in order to separate the two groups. Up until November 1st in the Plano office, contractors were not allowed to park in the garage. Each department has a certain amount of money allocated for snacks for FTEs only. These kinds of rules are extremely petty and outdated. Outdated technologies: Our department is stuck using outdated technologies. Our goal is to eventually move to the cloud, however, the bureaucracy will keep us using the outdated technologies for at least another year Compliance: This isn't really the fault of the company but rather the company trying to comply with government regulations. You will have a rude awakening if you are coming from a company where you are able to YouTube anything, read your private gmail, and download what applications you want. Everything you do is being watched so be extremely careful of what websites you are visiting. And don't be an idiot and click on links from obvious phishing e-mails (USAA tests frequently). Just know that this company does not mess around when it comes to things I mentioned above and be okay with working in this environment. Best Development practices are not enforced: TDD is not a thing in my department. In fact, one developer in my department spent two weeks (the whole iteration) creating a relatively simple method, and quickly threw in one very bad testing scenario AFTER the method was created just so it can have "code coverage". Poorly written code is accepted. By poorly written I mean not following SOLID principle guidelines, not building around the domain (DDD), not following styling/naming conventions, or all of the above. By allowing poorly written code, you are allowing future technical debt for those of us that have to debug this poorly written code.

"Good Job!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Plano, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment in Plano office. Managers let you get your job done without micromanagement. Projects are interesting and there is always someone that is willing to help you. Benefits are great with lots of PTO, gym membership assistance, healthy food discounts on campus, and more. Lots of room for lateral movement if you wish to try out a new avenue.

Cons

Low base salary for industry with a hanging carrot of a bonus. Promotions are hard locked into time frames (2+ years) with little chances to be promoted early for hard work. Make you drink the company Kool-aid

Continue reading

3. "Good Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Software Developer and Integrator in Plano, TX

I worked at USAA for less than a year

Pros

Great office. A real world project that will eventually go into production. A bunch of free food and competitive pay.

Cons

Took a little while to get environment setup, since the project was chosen late.

"Really great place to work."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Plano, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, very mission driven.

Cons

Maybe too slow to make decision.

"Great place to learn and grow, work-life balance is a pipe dream for my team"

Current Employee - Software Developer & Integrator

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Co-workers are really nice, friendly, and helpful. I've always had great managers and interesting work. GREAT benefits. Depending on the team, you'll have great work-life balance. Awesome mission. Shareholders are the members. IT stack is still behind, but is quickly modernizing.

Cons

Depending on the team, you'll have horrible work-life balance. We rely a ton on third party contractors, which they're great, but there is a lot of turnover which means some quality drops and more phone calls in the middle of the night when things break. Work-life balance is getting hit hard recently with all the pushes towards compliance. Also, depending on the team, you won't be promoted until you're past the 2 years waiting period.

"terrible"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

veteran friendly and member owned

Cons

very badterrible office politics and nepotism

"Terrible place to work as a software engineer"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The place for people to retired

Cons

Countless. Super laid back working environment, poor management, incompetent coworker, etc. Some people acting like come to work for paycheck and didn't do anything but show off in the meeting and talking all the day. Manager keep blocking people for seeking better fit just because he don't want to have poor performance by losing people. Tech stack is literally out-of-date, and the skill-set is kinda miserable. Lots of meeting and redundant conversations. Avoid this place if you were passion at work want to learn new things.

8. "Great Culture, Great People"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA for less than a year

Pros

The people are amazing. Very kind, inclusive, and intelligent.

Cons

You might be stuck doing bug work if there are lots of bugs to fix!

9. "Great Place to work"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA for less than a year

Pros

Great Company to work for. Great team.

Cons

I don't remember any con about this place

"Total joke for contractors, charge your hours and get out, focus on other areas of your life/career.. easy money."

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer (contractor) in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few industry standard practices, wfh, flexible hours, your boss doesnt care what you do and that can be great for contractors... I hear the benefits are great for employees, but at the cost of giving up your soul and natural talents.

Cons

No one knows anything, they just do what there told, a militant's paradise that actually rewards incompetence... how weird! you can get away with criminal activity as long as you "do what your told", cameras and voice recorders everywhere! somebody put this company is deep audit, no wonder so many employees are mentally ill.. seriously walk around and and people watch... typical pyramid structure where the sheep at the bottom suffer the most intellectually and spiritually. USAA is a follower and a copycat in the financial industry, not a leader. Smart people will not work at USAA for the long haul until massive changes have been made.

Found 154 reviews