USAA Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker

"Good Job!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Plano, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment in Plano office. Managers let you get your job done without micromanagement. Projects are interesting and there is always someone that is willing to help you. Benefits are great with lots of PTO, gym membership assistance, healthy food discounts on campus, and more. Lots of room for lateral movement if you wish to try out a new avenue.

Cons

Low base salary for industry with a hanging carrot of a bonus. Promotions are hard locked into time frames (2+ years) with little chances to be promoted early for hard work. Make you drink the company Kool-aid

Advice to Management

Increase base pay, it is the lowest in the industry and reward workers that are hard workers with promotions rather those who have just been present at the company.

USAA2019-10-20

"I cannot recommend this job as a contractor. Great place for a direct-hire"

Current Contractor - Software Developer in Plano, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at USAA for less than a year

Pros

I happen to be lucky enough to work on a great team with great people. My voice matters when it comes to creating/modifying processes and utilizing technologies. I work with a team lead who cares about the product that is put out. I work with a scrum master that always keeps the team Agile (being able to respond quickly to business needs) and moving forward. Technology-wise, containers are the future and USAA are... pushing teams to utilize these container-based technologies. I am compensated fairly well and I love the free coffee. I love having a standing desk. I also love being in a modern office (able to write on walls, ping pong tables, free coffee) with a view. The Plano office is in a great location with amazing shopping and great restaurants. I can't recommend this job as a contractor, however, if you are a direct hire (FTE), this is a great place to work at.

Cons

Contractors are 2nd class citizens: Contractors are not allowed to attend company events. There are FTE-only team meetings (the FTE acronym makes no sense to me since most contractors are full time employees). Contractors are assigned desks next to each other and away from the FTEs in order to separate the two groups. Up until November 1st in the Plano office, contractors were not allowed to park in the garage.... Each department has a certain amount of money allocated for snacks for FTEs only. These kinds of rules are extremely petty and outdated. Outdated technologies: Our department is stuck using outdated technologies. Our goal is to eventually move to the cloud, however, the bureaucracy will keep us using the outdated technologies for at least another year Compliance: This isn't really the fault of the company but rather the company trying to comply with government regulations. You will have a rude awakening if you are coming from a company where you are able to YouTube anything, read your private gmail, and download what applications you want. Everything you do is being watched so be extremely careful of what websites you are visiting. And don't be an idiot and click on links from obvious phishing e-mails (USAA tests frequently). Just know that this company does not mess around when it comes to things I mentioned above and be okay with working in this environment. Best Development practices are not enforced: TDD is not a thing in my department. In fact, one developer in my department spent two weeks (the whole iteration) creating a relatively simple method, and quickly threw in one very bad testing scenario AFTER the method was created just so it can have "code coverage". Poorly written code is accepted. By poorly written I mean not following SOLID principle guidelines, not building around the domain (DDD), not following styling/naming conventions, or all of the above. By allowing poorly written code, you are allowing future technical debt for those of us that have to debug this poorly written code.

Advice to Management

The only real differences between a contractor and a USAA employee should be the color of the badge and where the check/benefits are coming from. I have had other contracting gigs and I have never been with a company that goes out of their way to make contractors feel like second class citizens. It's extremely depressing and demoralizing wanting to do your best and make a difference while constantly being... reminded that FTEs are more important. I hope the reason we are treated like this is regulatory, because I cannot think of any other reason why a company would want to do this. My advice to management.. don't go out of your way to make the contractor feel like a contractor. This is a small price to pay in order to achieve employee (contractor) happiness with minimal increase to the bottom line. Also, enforce best development practices.

USAA2019-11-08

"Worst experience"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Food Benefits Few good friends Team hangouts I dont see other pros

Cons

Politics Micromanaging Lack of training High school environment Unnecessary useless changes Favoritism Lack of job security

USAA2019-10-31
  4. "Really great place to work."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Plano, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, very mission driven.

Cons

Maybe too slow to make decision.

USAA2019-09-18

"Terrible place to work as a software engineer"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The place for people to retired

Cons

Countless. Super laid back working environment, poor management, incompetent coworker, etc. Some people acting like come to work for paycheck and didn't do anything but show off in the meeting and talking all the day. Manager keep blocking people for seeking better fit just because he don't want to have poor performance by losing people. Tech stack is literally out-of-date, and the skill-set is kinda miserable.... Lots of meeting and redundant conversations. Avoid this place if you were passion at work want to learn new things.

USAA2019-10-14

"Good people and mission, work can be lackluster at times."

Current Employee - Software Developer and Integrator I in Plano, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance Good pay and benefits

Cons

Collaboration can be difficult depending on the team you are on

USAA2019-09-09

"A place to retire"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable position without the competition present in other companies. Very flexible remote work options as-needed.

Cons

IT pay scale is low end. Lackadaisical approach to under performing employees. Arbitrary time requirements on level placements. Incredibly large reliance on '3rd party' contractors.

Advice to Management

Rethink the IT model. Be thankful San Antonio has very few IT shops to compete against

USAA2019-07-15

"Mission driven company. Technology backward."

Current Employee - Software Developer & Integrator I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

It is an honor to serve the military and their financial needs by working at USAA. There's a sense of camaraderie and a willingness to help our members out as much as we can inside the company. There's a big drive towards meeting compliance and regulatory requirements which everyone takes as seriously as our CEO.

Cons

I work in technology and we still are behind when it comes to using the latest tech. Bureaucracy binds our decisions a lot of the times and our agile mentality is still driven like waterfall methods.

USAA2019-06-20

"Fantastic company to work for with awesome benefits"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

USAA's values aren't just for members, they are for employees too! Work/life balance is great. Benefits are also top notch (8% 401k match, affordable healthcare, etc).

Cons

Opinions on matters can change from team to team. I suppose the same can be said of any large company.

USAA2019-06-22

"Great traditional company"

Former Employee - Software Developer & Integrator III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with some amazing - talented people, working on utilizing new technology, offices are tailored for millennial appeal with ping-pong tables/pool, some flexibility to work from home, benefits are great, lots of PTO

Cons

Limited offices across the US, mainly in San Antonio, Tx. Company works slowly to put you in roles that you want or have a strong point in. Older technology and slowly transferring into new tech. Full-time remote positions are hard to come by. Very corporate

Advice to Management

Embrace change/outlook from the younger employees and work on more work/life balance.

USAA2019-06-14