USAA Member Relationship Specialist II Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker

"Just like the rest"

Member Relationship Specialist II in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA for less than a year

Pros

The only reason I stay is because my manager is awesome.

Cons

This is the same as any other call center. The benefits are the same as other call centers, and the pay is too. Too many people at USAA believe they are special because they have been working there for a long time, however many of the new changes are just making USAA current compared to other large companies. There is nothing special about this company.

Advice to Management

Make sure your team is enjoying their time at work, a happy team is a productive team.

USAA2016-09-04

"Member Relationship specialist"

Member Relationship Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA

Pros

Cafeteria and benefits were nice...but other call centers offer the same.

Cons

Call center, micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals

Advice to Management

The gym and nice restaurant isn't enough to make people stay, Turn over is ridiculous unless you have seniority...they are usually lifers.

USAA2016-07-26
  3. "Training need to be more transparency"

Member Relationship Specialist II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Great place to work geographical area of the Regional Office

Cons

Not enough time training geographical area of the Regional Office

Advice to Management

Train train train

USAA2015-11-01

"Insurance Service Represntative"

Member Relationship Specialist II in Colorado Springs, CO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at USAA

Pros

This company does not have a history of laying off its employees. Also this company does want to keep you their as long as possible. The company has an average medical plan, Its not the best but its not the worst. The company does give vacation time and a parking garage.

Cons

This job is all about micro management, if you like that style then its perfect job for you. The level of micro managing depends on your manager. Your manager can make or break you at this job. The company requires your manger to meet with you every week to "coach you" on your calls, and If you do something they don't like or agree with can and will be used against you, and how its used it up to the manager. This is... all part of their effort to improve their customer experience. Since, there is so many ways to measure you at this company. You can be a hero or a zero depending on what their are looking at. The thing that bothers me is that they have soft categories like do you stand for their mission. Yes, you are graded on this and can affect your performance. If you do not meet this it can make you loose your bonus, and your bonus is a big part of your pay it can be up to 19% of your yearly salary. This leads to new employees leaving the job quitting the job in a hurry. About 40 percent of new hires quit within 90 days of work. HR in this company is useless for the employee. The employees at this company have no rights as far as HR is concerned. All employee relationship decisions are left to management staff. HR is just their to make sure employees don't sue or cause anything that could make them look bad in the public light. Furthermore, this company is really big on not being truthful to you as an employee, management is really good for reading the company mission statement and not following it themselves. For example, if you have an upset person on the phone that wants to address their concerns with management, management will do everything in world not to handle the situation including blaming you for the problem. This can be done subtle or direct, but when you read what the put in paper to upper management. It completely different than what really happens. The final note is if you want to move up in this company, the best thing to do is get out the knee pads. This trick will make the most unqualified person move to the top of the ranks. No degree, no problem, we know you not qualified but you say everything you like.

Advice to Management

Let employees do their job. Stop standing on employee shoulder just to do a daily job is a good way of making your employee look elsewhere. If you want to make your customers happy, then make your employees happy. Stop rewarding the butt kisser, and stop making people feel expendable.

USAA2015-07-28

"Membership Relationship Specialist"

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Corporate culture is the best I've seen. Benefits were great, and voluntary overtime hours were a nice plus. Room for growth IF you're a high achiever.

Cons

Work schedule was very inflexible. It is a call center environment, so if you don't like talking on the phone, it's probably not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep on top of lower-level supervisors; don't give managers slack just because they've been there for 20 years. Uphold the same standards.

USAA2015-07-23

"First 3 years ok then last 2 years terrible due to micromanaging and requiring more pushy sales of other departments."

Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, bonus, they try to make the whole call center environment comfortable and pleasant, strong core values.

Cons

Micromanaging too much, not given enough time to do follow up work. They rate performance more on referrals for other products than actual job performance. A persons knowledge and skills should be looked at versus how many other products they can offer. Change managers a lot.

Advice to Management

Ease up on micromanaging, being on the phone non stop for 8 hours a day is exhausting so not every call may have a referral. Look at an employees knowledge and skills for promotion versus sales. I knew so many employees who could "refer" tons of other products but did not have the knowledge or understanding of insurance to do their basic job.

USAA2015-04-13

"Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cafeteria (different food stations) and a "fitness center" but after working 10 hour days all you wanted to do was get out of there.

Cons

They Micro-manage employees (will write you up for taking bathroom breaks) managers act like the place is a branch of the military. My manager once told me "if you're on time, you're late" which I guess is a military term and way off base. I get paid to get there at a certain time, I'm not showing up earlier because you're a psycho. We are in the civilian world! Worst part is they say how much military members are... respected and valued but want employees to cross-sell them products they don't even need! I felt extreme pressure to be unethical and even lie to make sure my manager wasn't harassing me about sales.

Advice to Management

Lay off the employees! Micro managing and monitoring our every move made everyone miserable and the turn over is insane. Our training class started with 11 new hires by the end of the first year only 3 remained!

USAA2015-03-26

"Fired while out on leave for complicated pregnancy DAY BEFORE MY DELIVERY!!"

Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in Tampa, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Benefits,Great Cafe on site,Fitness Center,and safe environment.

Cons

This place is micromanagement to the extreme. It was AWFUL. Don't get off the phone to go to the bathroom unless it's scheduled! Your calls are monitored,your breaks are monitored,you have to sit and review calls periodically with your manager and if you were lucky to have the crazy woman who was my manager....Oh boy good luck. This company was not a good company to work for. How about this manager calls me up the... DAY BEFORE I have my baby and FIRES me? ON THE SPOT I lose my benefits and everything and she KNEW I was delivering the next day. If you want a company that throws you out like that then go ahead.

Advice to Management

Want to stop high employee turnover? STOP MICROMANAGING!!

USAA2014-07-10

"Glass ceiling that you can't seem to break through...company has great culture and ethics."

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits, pay and culture are remarkable especially with how people and companies are run these days - they literally stand by their word, they trust their members and their employees - I was amazed at how they mean what they say no play on words, no fine print.....and that went from employees as well as members. They live by a standard, they make decisions based on this standard across ALL companies - I really... admired and appreciated that b/c I never felt like I was being forced to 'trick' a member - I really felt like I was helping member and living the mission statement which we all lived by every day on every call. I don't know any other company like that so that was HUGE for me!

Cons

As a call center representative; what is required as far as how you are rated on each and EVERY call exhausts you after your third call - the volume of calls is astounding it feels like San Antonio is the ONLY call center for USAA and it isn't which is mind boggling.The depth in which we were to speak with the member was crazy because we were still required to take a certain amount of calls each day. I was a top... performer I had EE's (exceeds expectations) on all my reviews as a first year employee - I was recognized several times by upper management as well as directors above my entire department - I was chosen to be apart of a special project in just my first year which was unheard of AND I was hand-picked by my manager and my director to be apart of another special group that meant with even higher management and influential persons monthly (this position wasn't to be offered to first year employees...I had been employed for three months and had been on the floor for 3 weeks!) I went above and beyond for my members and the company - I did not like the 35 minute lunches rather than have an hour and 15 min for lunch call reps receive 2 20 minute breaks and a 35 minute lunch b/c we need to 'get away' throughout the day vs all at once - and last it is very true that people 'crack' have melt downs etc - I know several awesome employees that I later learned were being medicated for anxiety, depression, mood disorders etc all due to the stress of the job, wanting to keep their job but not be on the phones, etc - the call center is too big and everyone in the call center is looking for a way out - for a non-member contact position - I posted out for a processing job in the bank when I became fed up with hitting my ceiling and learned that 636 other employees JUST IN MY DEPARTMENT ALONE, had applied for the same job - and this was bottom of the barrel, nothing special, type of position BUT it was off the phones - the goal of EVERY phone representative at USAA. And last....quitting time is in February after the bonus - several hundred employees call in and quit immediately after their bonus hits the bank I saw it with my own eyes - those of us that stay are hammered...but by then you're used to it and you either deal with the call volume and stressors.....or you too eventually quit.

Advice to Management

As with any management team some are awesome, others you wonder how on earth they were picked to lead! Just as phone reps are required to be in unison when it comes to how calls are handled....management should be as well. My manager was for lack of a better word 'PERFECT - she listened, she cared, she gave us the benefit of the doubt, she understood we would have good days and bad days at work and good days and bad... days at home and most importantly she treated our team like individuals - we weren't cookie cutter employees we weren't machines we ALL worked differently but towards the same goal - she recognized this and we were an awesome team and wanted to perform for HER because of it - her way of managing should be mirrored throughout USAA and I guarantee they will retain many more employees regardless of the call volumes - stressors - etc. Know what you have when you have it and fight to keep those employees, don't let all the good ones slip through the cracks - out of 16 team members/new highers - all have quit except for 2 - the first 10 after the first year.

USAA2014-04-08
  10. "Great company to work for if you are not on the phones"

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent pay, excellent benefits, and great people.

Cons

If you are a customer service rep you are bombarded with calls non stop all day long. The selling or offering goals are high. For me it just wasn't a great fit. I'm not someone who likes selling jobs.

Advice to Management

Managers were great and supportive

USAA2014-03-27