USAA Insurance Agent Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

USAA Insurance Agent Reviews

Updated 27 de Sep 2019

USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker

"Great company to work for but..."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits from day 1 Great work schedule flexibility PTO hours generated every pay period Education assistance is great so use it to pursue your career of choice. Military culture

Cons

It is a call center and you are expected to sell insurance on almost every call. Work life balance is not that great, unpaid lunches, bonus is determined by overall business results. Florida campus is expected to outperform other campuses but you will get paid the same. Sales practices are inconsistent sometimes as well as instructions given. Managers tend to focus on what you did wrong no matter what. Even if... the call was perfect they are trained to find something you could do better. No the highest paying insurance company

Advice to Management

The coaching model used at Usaa is not great. Managers are trained to focus and emphasize on "oppurtunities" rather then giving credit where credit is due.

USAA2019-09-27
  2. "Great Work Environment, Great benefits"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

USAA has the best benefits hands down. They have multiple work schedules to choose from and, as long as you perform well, will most likely get your first or second choice. USAA provides sit stand desks in the Colorado office for all employees to help alleviate sitting for 8 -10 hours a day.

Cons

This is a call center environment - the majority of your shift is spent tied to the phones.

USAA2019-08-30

"It is what it is if you can work in a call center and take nonstop calls and limited opportunity to move up"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Co-workers, Manager, and 401k match up to 8%, pay if awarded bonuses not guaranteed. Gift card rewards. Love our members/customers.

Cons

Work/Life balance, call center, hard to get vacation time during holidays, spring break or anytime in general. Adding more work to reps all ready stressed on anxiety meds, getting therapy and crying at desk. Chained to desk. Low pay considering they keep dismantling other departments and giving 3x more work no raise or additional training in some circumstances. Favoritism. Also doesn’t matter when you have degree... because your told you don’t have experience and vice versa. Constantly changing environment just when you adjust to new metrics/goals they change anywhere from year to year and hard to keep up with.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees feedback and implement it. We are overwhelmed and under paid. Our members are getting frustrated and we only want to help them. Long time employees we truly care. Some of us now feel like just a number. Our members deserve better and some shorter term employees don’t always care or resolve issues leading to us reps fixing issue, escalating to a manager or Member canceling products and... services. I loved working here before now it’s shifting not for the better for members or employees.

USAA2019-08-11

"good benefits"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

benefits are great. people you work with are awesome

Cons

Need to be more structured for training. You are stuck in a room watching modules all day and its not necessarily relevant to your job. You will get different answers on questions, depending on who you ask; not necessarily getting the right one each /any time.

Advice to Management

have claims teach the training classes, not sales reps when its servicing

USAA2019-07-31

"BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great! Management supports you

Cons

Being on the phone all day can be hard but the good of the company makes up for it

Advice to Management

Don't change

USAA2019-07-24

"RUN- Too much power to Managers"

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and amenities, 401k , gym, bonuses.

Cons

Depends on your manager- they can easily nit pick and score you down and get you fired. I went from getting a raise ,changed managers, then was fired 4 months later, perfect attendance and 100% customer sat scores 8 months in a row.

Advice to Management

Dont give so much power to your managers- make sure everyone is scored the same and coached the same. IF someone is a performing with one manager and suddenly becomes a poor performer- allow your rep to go to another manager instead of quickly moving to fire the individual. FYI- manager never sat with me as promised to coach me during calls.

USAA2019-08-21

"2 stars"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working at home is a plus.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, they dangle the annual bonus over your head constantly throughout the year. It's a typical call center environment. The only thing that matters is the bottom dollar and how man referrals you make. Your actual work performance has little to do with your job title. It's all about how much you sell. After 10 years I was given a promotion, my compensation was an additional .40 an hour. It's... next to impossible to "grow" or move up within this company unless you have a degree.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

USAA2019-01-09

"No longer able to recommend"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's a job with benefits.

Cons

Since Joe Robles retired, and Stuart Parker came on board, The company has gone downhill. Hardcore sales of unnecessary products to members (Yes, PFC Smith, you do need umbrella coverage and VPP policies for the expensive jewelry you do not have!), scripted everything (Mr. Member, have I done everything in my power to give you excellent customer service today?), and ridiculous micromanaging (if you take more than... seven minutes for a bathroom break, your manager will require you to take PTO), and daily IT issues unlike any company I know- I could go on, but this company has gone down hill so quickly. Compensation remains low versus other companies, even as the upper management makes more than comparable companies.

Advice to Management

Change.

USAA2018-07-07

"It is run by children"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

lots of vacation days (that you can never use)

Cons

You must be part of the "club" and under 35 to be promoted

Advice to Management

learn how to lead

USAA2018-08-14

"Heads Up If You're Not Former Military Or The Spouse Of Activity Duty"

Former Employee - Senior Insurance Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Commitment to the company's membership.

Cons

Goal of having 25% of staff composed of former military or spouses of active duty ... means you may be overlooked or not qualify for certain positions (despite your performance and education).

Advice to Management

There are many ways to support the military community without penalizing the rest of your workforce.

USAA2018-06-16