USAA Auto Claims Adjuster Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Dec 8, 2019

3.2
USAA CEO Stuart Parker
Stuart Parker
  1. "Great benefits, culture, and mission. Compensation lower than industry averages."

Current Employee - Auto Liability Claims Adjuster

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

USAA has a noble mission and an excellent training program for claim adjusters. Always told by management to do the right thing for the customer. Benefits are the best around: 8% 401k match (plus more depending on age), 6 weeks of paid time off every year, and no strings attached education program. USAA paid for my MBA almost 100%.

Cons

Very high work volume creating high stress levels. Dealing with the public in unfortunate circumstances requires a high level of patience. Compensation is lower than industry average.

Advice to Management

Management has never figured out how to match labor quantity with work flow volumes in claims department. Leads to loss of top talent and poor claims service.

USAA2019-12-08
  2. "Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits/Bonus, Opportunity for growth, management, culture, facilities

Cons

Volume of work but that's to be expected anyway and is graded fairly

Advice to Management

keep doing great work

USAA2019-12-04

"Great Company but......"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

The company has excellent benefits, many perks especially at the main campus.

Cons

Micromanagement is forced due to the stringent rules regulating time schedules. Everything revolved around adherence to the schedule that pre-populates everyday. If you take a long bathroom break, you are screwed for the day.

USAA2019-11-14

"Deteriorating culture"

Former Employee - Auto Claim Adjuster in San Antonio, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay, and good benefits.

Cons

Upper management keeping departments understaffed to save money creates awful work conditions for front line employees.

Advice to Management

Stop under staffing your claims departments so adjusters are able to adequately do their job.

USAA2019-10-31

"Call center"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Great benefits plenty of pto

Cons

No down time, little time between calls, difficult conversations

USAA2019-09-18

"Ups and downs"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits, campus, amenities, people.

Cons

Inbound call center, no time to call out on assigned claims.

Advice to Management

Pick either an inbound call center with no file ownership, or allow your adjusters to put time into their claims. The environment trying to do both was toxic. Constant blame of coworkers because if they don't handle it "someone else will" and frustration from members.

USAA2019-08-14

"The claims department is not what it seems. Very tolling on mental health."

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, amazing coworkers, nitro bike

Cons

Don't get paid enough to get verbally abused on the phone, metrics are unrealistic, management does not care that frontline employees are struggling

USAA2019-08-14

"Good company, stressful job"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay Good benefits Good management

Cons

High almost impossible expectations Constant inbound calls Draining work

"Job"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

Good benefits and lots of time off

Cons

Always on the phone and must stick with adherence.

USAA2019-07-29

"Wonderful company, fantastic career choice for those burn-out by retail/hospitality/food service management"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent company culture... The company really invests in it's employees & is responsive to our feedback (which is amazing considering how large the company is) - Work-life balance... I have every weekend off, have yet to work more than 45 hours during any given week (and even then the OT isn't a problem since I'm hourly). - 401K Program... USAA matches all employee 401K contributions $1 for $1 up to 8% of... our income starting our FIRST DAY (unheard of!) - Affordable & quality health insurance benefits - PTO is plentiful (32 days during our 1st year at USAA!) and is easy to use once new hire training is complete - Generous tuition assistance program... The company invests millions of dollars for the professional development of it's employees at all levels - The Phoenix USAA Campus is beautiful & state-of-the-art on-site amenities (Clinic w/ RN's on staff, Starbucks, fitness center, several cafeterias/cafes, relaxation rooms, tranquil outdoor spaces) - I get paid very well for what I do - Turnover is relatively low, so I'm surrounding by highly tenured & talented co-workers that are very helpful to the noobies - USAA new hire training programs are thorough, extensive, and effectively prepare employees for their daily tasks; my training lasted 4 months! - Although all new auto adjusters work M-F, 11:00 am - 7:30 pm initially, there are opportunities to "bid" for earlier shifts (the earliest being 7:00 am - 3:30 pm); most adjusters get the schedule they want by the end of their first year at the company

Cons

- This is NOT the ideal job for anyone that is not accustomed to working in a fast-paced and stressful environment... Claims adjusters at USAA are always BUSY! - This is NOT the ideal job for anyone who is accustomed to working "banker's" hours or only accustomed to working 40 hours a week. At times we do have to put in a little bit of OT every once in a while. All new auto claims adjusters work 11:00 AM - 7:30... PM Monday thru Friday. - Because turnover is so low, it can take a while to get promoted to a management position - The company prefers managers have bachelor's (or even graduate degrees at times) for management positions.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring candidates with retail/hospitality/food service experience. These individuals would not only be able to handle the fast-paced workload, but they welcome (with open arms) the stable work schedule of an Auto Claims Adjuster, even with the slightly non-traditional 11:00 am - 7:30 pm shifts.

USAA2019-06-19