Tripadvisor Employee Reviews about "free lunch"

Updated 29 Jul 2020

3.6
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 106 reviews)

• "Great benefits, free lunch and the people(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a disaster and has been for years(in 25 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 22 reviews)

Reviews about "free lunch"

Return to all Reviews

"Business Development - Dublin"

Former Employee - Business Development in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing people to learn from and get inspiration. Loads of perks (Free lunch, snacks, Health and well-being benefit, Insurance options, Shares) Generous salary, compensation plan and kickers (bonuses for over achieving!) - With the move to quarterly commission pay outs you have the added flexibility of time to hit your targets! Hard work is definitely rewarded! Plenty of training and personal development - With so much exciting change comes plenty of open discussion and training. TripAdvisor is all about transparency so the 'why' question is always explained whenever change happens. Very approachable senior management - Both immediate and head of sales are always open to meet and discuss any issues or concerns you have. Managements success it measured on the success of their team, so they are always willing and able to help your get the results. I found everyone really personable and friendly. Fast passed environment - TripAdvisor are on a warpath to further dominate the travel and tourism space through continued innovative development of various product solutions. As such, things are continually evolving in the company in order to maintain their competitive edge and market dominance. Be willing to adapt quickly! Great city centre location with easy access to public transport (Luas, Dublin bikes, Bus etc)

Cons

Nothing comes to mind to be honest

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TripAdvisor takes care of its employees very well. It provides free lunches, very good health care, fitness support, opportunities to help other people and organize events to socialize. TripAdivsor's office location is central. It's very close to both Pearse and Docklands train station. The company helps career growth with books and technical talks. It also supports employees to go to conferences. The free snacks in the kitchen are wonderful. Keep up the good work.

Cons

I think the concern for at least engineering is dwindling number of engineers. When I have started it was almost 35 engineers and now we aren't even half of it.

May 18, 2018TripAdvisor

We appreciate your positive and thoughtful feedback and are so glad to hear that you’re having a great experience at TripAdvisor! As you know, learning and development is an important part of our culture and we’re pleased to see that you’ve mentioned (and hopefully participated in) many of the various learning opportunities that we offer. As is true of any successful company, our teams evolve as the business continues to grow and change. Thanks again for your comments and please feel free to connect with your manager or HR Business partner with any additional feedback and suggestions.

"The worst management/ product / experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing good about TripAdvisor Dublin except the free lunches . Some of the employees are nice people other are just their for a job like zombies

Cons

Everything about TripAdvisor is a lie ! The product is sold to customers who think it does something it doesn’t, nobody in the company can explain how the hotel solution works , The management haven’t got a clue how to sell never mind lead a team. The training is beyond shocking ! No career progression targets are made up of a fake growth rate If you want to loose faith in humanity and dive into a black hole of failure TripAdvisor Dublin is the company for you !

March 28, 2018TripAdvisor

Wow. This feedback is tough to read and I’m sorry to hear that you left TripAdvisor with such negative feelings towards the company. You’ve mentioned several concerns in your review so I will do my best to address each one. Putting our employees in a position to succeed is a top priority for our team in Dublin and for our teams around the world. This starts with the people that we hire into TripAdvisor, how we train our employees, and extends through the products we deliver to our consumers and partners. We encourage all Salespeople and Managers to raise their hand when they need assistance, so that we can support them and work to get everyone over their sales targets. One of our core values, we never stop learning, speaks directly to the importance we place on employee training and development. We’re proud of the investment we’ve made in our sales training program, a program that last year resulted in an average of 30 hours of training per rep. I’m disappointed to hear that this training fell short of your expectations. Regarding our clients, we work closely with them so that they fully understand our solutions and can take advantage of services to improve their business and grow with us. The tens of thousands of clients we do have today have been with us for a long time and have found great value in our partnership. If they can’t succeed then neither will we. If you have the time, I’d like to fully understand where we missed the mark and I will investigate the concerns you’ve flagged. As always, I’d welcome a conversation to better understand your feedback. -Sam Thompson, Regional Director of Inside Sales

"Amazing benefits"

Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Incredible benefits - 100% healthcare, very inexpensive to add family, free lunch/snacks, learning opportunities

Cons

Some managers are terrible, lack empathy

5. "Great Culture and People"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern

I worked at Tripadvisor

Pros

Extremely talented and passionate people who you'll be working with at the company. Perks such as free lunch every day of the week and an office gym are fantastic too.

Cons

In my opinion, there is a high degree of power distance at the company that management should address.

Continue reading
  6. "The people you work with make the office culture great"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, free lunch and the people!

Cons

Career growth is a little limited, it has improved but there are ways to go.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

7. COVID-19

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The free lunch is better than most restaurants

Cons

I’m laid off now! Thanks Covid.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your positive remarks about working at Tripadvisor. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the team.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation

Cons

Slightly dated tech stack, location

9. COVID-19

"Phenomenal place to start my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're surrounded by tons of really intelligent, hard-working coworkers. The culture is very focused on helping each other and working together, no toxic competition. Great perks at the office (free lunch, snacks, beer, games). Good compensation and raises. Flat organizational structure (although sometimes this means that promotions are less frequent).

Cons

Takes awhile to adopt new technology, seems like we were often a couple steps behind other companies in the industry. The 2020 COVID crisis hit Tripadvisor really hard, I was laid off because of it and a lot of fringe benefits (like the free lunch) were cut (perhaps only temporarily though) for the remaining employees. I do not blame Tripadvisor at all for that, and they handled it very well with good severance and outplacement help. However, it is something to keep in mind, as a business they are very exposed to world events that harm travel.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the Tripadvisor team.

10. "Culture, Community, and Transparency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love talking to people about my job. When people ask me, “do you like working there” I can’t help but smile. While it’s a job and it is work, it’s a privilege to work here and I get to realize that again and again each time I talk to someone about Trip. Even just explaining what he culture and benefits are like here people are always blown away. Sometimes it feels like an embarrassment of riches as I explain it to people, they get more and more shocked as I rattle off the perks. Whether it’s the free lunch or the feeling of community across teams and levels, I find myself being just as impressed by my words as those I am speaking to. If I had to pick, the biggest pros about working here are our philanthropic efforts and the normalcy of volunteering amongst the employees here and the transparency from management. Our global volunteer days we have each year during the summer highlight something that is present all year round at Tripadvisor: volunteering and giving back is not only encouraged here, it’s expected. I am humbled to be a part of a company who highly values giving back to the world that it aims to help us explore. The transparency is self-explanatory. We are seldom left in the dark and are quickly informed of any moving parts or changes in the company. It makes everyone feel important and essential to the team, an irreplaceable part of our culture.

Cons

Things move very quickly here and if that isn't your jive it can be a bit hard to keep up.

March 17, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your positive remarks. We’re constantly striving to maintain a transparent, collaborative environment, so we’re glad that you found that to be the case. We take pride in our employees, so hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues have supported and enriched their experience is always great news.

Found 106 reviews