TripAdvisor "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

TripAdvisor Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated 9 Jan 2020

3.9
TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Perks, Vacation Time, Free lunch(in 98 reviews)

• "Smart people, great benefits, including lunch every day(in 58 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"Great office, but no growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great benefits, smart people and fun environment. You get to work on teams with people you will actually like . The office itself is great with a friendly/helpful office manager and local hr.

Cons

No career growth available in the office and don't believe there will be. I want to know if this will improve ? So far no updates/ and been like this since 2016.

Advice to Management

One of the company values is "we believe in transparency". Dont believe this is being followed. No updates and explanations on changes.

TripAdvisor2017-11-02

"Dublin Office is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Based in Dublin office. I have worked at quite a few tech companies. I can say we are very well looked after at TripAdvisor. The TripAdvisor group is expanding, particularly quickly in Dublin. It is a good time to come on board. We get some great benefits and the office management in Dublin are always looking to take our ideas to make it a great place to work. Summer outings/Christmas parties High quality catered lunches 3 days a week Team building events/competitions Quarterly Sales/Engineering parties Gym fees covered Contributions to personal travel Football team with fees covered for astro park rental High quality lunches Free snacks (all the latest health foods) HR will change food/drink to your needs About half a dozen Nespresso machines with free coffee Free beer/wine Tech desks/Large monitors Laptops that are responsive and modern OS Medical/Dental/Health checks/Flu shots Free clothing, towels, bags, tech books etc. Working in an up and coming area of Dublin Opportunity to travel/work at other offices if you wish I have benefited from working alongside some very talented people You can have input into quarterly goals. Ideas can flow up and down hierarchy Management allow flexibility, if something comes up outside of work you can work around it. Management are technical enough to understand contributions from engineers Using great technologies

Cons

I found the first couple of months challenging as there was a lot to learn and it the place was too fast moving for people to be able to help you. TripAdvisor has its HQ in Boston so the day really gets going around 3pm GMT which can make it difficult to cram in meetings before you go home but late starts are ok. Buses to Docklands aren't great yet as it's a developing area and it is difficult to get accommodation in Dublin city centre at the moment.

Advice to Management

I was taken by the amount of listening done at the Engineering sync up. Coming from the outside the respect management have for the technical community was noticeable. Those of us in EMEA regularly work in the evening after going home. It's not mandated but its done to be effective at our jobs and to keep things moving. I'd like management to be mindful how many extra hours many of us in EMEA put in to keep up with the US.

TripAdvisor2016-10-04
  3. "Love the team ethic and family feel"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Treat you like an adult Flexible working Latest tech Career progression Senior management listen Great benefits Competitive salary

Cons

Only minor but company is very fast changing and needs a more controlled outlook

TripAdvisor2020-01-09

"No strategy, poor management"

Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and salary. They really do care about employees and treat people well with great benefits and perks.

Cons

There is absolutely no strategy from the top down. Leaders are poor, no management experience.

Advice to Management

Develop managers more. Have mandatory training for managers especially those that have been part of the company for years and have worked their way up with little or no coaching. Figure out a strategy or value proposition and be bold.

TripAdvisor2019-09-20
  5. "Excellent workplace and great opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent atmosphere at the workplace and lots of free food/drinks. - Great opportunities and flexibility to move departments or subsidiaries. - Competitive pay. - Great benefits program.

Cons

- Very fast-paced. Not necessarily a con, but strong time management/prioritization skills are required.

TripAdvisor2019-09-09

"Great consumer brand but"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Singapore

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great benefits - Above Market Salary - Start-up vibe - Flexible Workhours

Cons

- Too many directional changes - Unsure of the business model - Inefficient processes - Personality-driven rather than process driven

Advice to Management

- Bring in some new blood - Encourage new ideas - Stay laser focused on 1-2 things - Make it easier to work with the organisation for advertisers

TripAdvisor2019-06-18

"Unclear strategy and positioning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great benefits, everyday free lunch, snacks, soft drinks, office is nicely decorated, much better working enviroment than local companies; talented staff, good work-life balance, culture of diversity

Cons

local strategy is not clear, what the staff received from the management team looks like we need to find something to do but just "work for work's sake". Might be a good story bottom-up, but is it really something the market/our audience need? Our product is less competative with local players, poor user experinces and bugs seldom taken care of. Staff are busy but a bit directionless, just doing what managers told us to do. Our voice seldom being heard of... Not because no one has opinions, but if voices always get denied or ignored or even not encouraged, whoelse would like to be the "victim". Internally there is also lack of communication across teams. I believe management team have regular meetings, but communication among different teams are less. The office is quiet, only during lunch time people are actively fetching free lunch boxes...too many free things just make people lazier and less innovative...

Advice to Management

There are indeed talented staff but lack of clear strategy seems a waste of people's time and talent. I'd suggest management team (not only local but global) be more open-mined to employee's voices, encourage free opinions and hear what they would like to convey, cause we really care and love the brand!

TripAdvisor2019-06-17
  8. "Good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, including lunch every day. Great work-life balance.

Cons

They were slow to come up with a promotion plan.

TripAdvisor2019-02-27
  9. "Great company"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

- Lots of opportunities if you work hard and can stand out from the crowd - Great benefits - Fun work culture and spirit

Cons

- Limited travel opportunity (despite being a travel focussed company) and moving between offices unless you're in Tech - Salaries fluctuate immensely and don't always seem fair (internal promotion vs external hires) - Difficult to move within departments unless you have extensive experience in the field

Advice to Management

Invest more into your existing talent

TripAdvisor2018-12-21

"Ok, not Great"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Locations in Boston and Needham are great - Benefits are excellent - Team members for the most part are great to work with

Cons

- Compensation - Lack of transparency - Leadership makes decisions without truly thinking about how the customer will be impacted. - Spread too thin. Competitor companies all seem to have a focus on one area in the travel industry which they excel at. - TripAdvisor still seems to be struggling with shifting identies from a research/review based platform to a booking platform. - Bugs that are reported by clients can sit for weeks at a time with no fix and very slow communication updates. Speed doesn’t win here.

Advice to Management

Simply put, do a better job of putting people in spots where they feel valued and feel like they can communicate in an open and transparent forum.

TripAdvisor2018-11-30