Find jobs for Senior Consultant

1. "Don’t bother"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Trailfinders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch, staff are great on the level you are working on, ok travel perks (getting worse) fun training in London. Uniform so don’t have to think what to wear. Travel fun for your own trips.

Cons

Management in my travel center were awful!! Never taught how to be a manager and was only hired as had been there a long time. Would get angry and argue with staff, was out to get you if numbers weren’t great for one month, didn’t support you if you had personal stuff going on (got told couldn’t go to aunts funeral, still went). Targets are getting higher and higher compared to a few years ago. Upper management turn a blind eye and don’t listen when you try and express concerns, blame goes back to you. People in other travel centers can ruin your bookings or refuse to help. Literally little to no time in your personal life and almost impossible to take shifts. Have to book your annual leave nearly a year in advance, not everyone know what’s they’re doing that far. Can’t take annual leave on a Sunday! So regimented, if you’re off the phone more than ten minutes a manager is on your back. Have a stupid sales wheel you have to follow which doesn’t work with everyone’s selling styles, if you’re still selling and not following that wheel, you can get warnings.

May 7, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and I’m glad you found the training in London and travel perks such positives. Your other comments do not ring true however; we have a transparent and rigorous in-house recruitment process to ensure that only those suited to manage our travel centres make it into those positions and they receive ongoing training and support so that they can do their job well. Getting an ideal work / life balance is a challenge with any job but we continue to make changes to our roster systems and procedures to make this as easy as possible for staff and certainly would never refuse time off for something like a funeral.

2. COVID-19

"A company that cares"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in City of London, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been in the travel industry for over 15 years and Trailfinders are, by far, the best employer within this sector. Apart from the excellent pay, free lunches, travel opportunities and resources, the company has really shone for me on a personal note. During the corona pandemic they fully supported my need to be furloughed to shield my Mother who I live with and is high risk. I am returning to work on Monday from home, and once again this has been managed quickly and without any hesitation. I really recommend Trailfinders as an employer, I feel valued, supported and respected. If you are passionate about travel and a hard worker I really don't think you could work for better.

Cons

You will be required to work weekends and bank holidays, however these are distributed fairly and Travel is an industry which always has an element of unsociable hours.

July 31, 2020

Many thanks for the post; we really have worked hard to look after all of the team during this challenging year so I'm pleased that's how you've felt.

3. "1 year 11 months"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than a year

Pros

As others have mentioned there are great travel perks, the highest pay within the industry for front line sales staff coupled with rapid pay rises for top performers. That and the free lunches! There are those who will complain about the hours but this is a sales based job and Trailfinders are completely upfront as to what is expected of their staff. If you want 9-5 Monday to Friday you will struggle to be happy here. Personally, having come from the world of events found the hours to be shorter and kinder! I have been very impressive by how accommodating the company has been towards medical appointments, particularly its willingness to sort time off at short notice, something I have been very grateful for. Management has taken an active and positive interest in me and has continued to coach me to be a better sales person. This has led to better payouts and overall a nearly 30% increase in my sales figures. In other words, in my case at least, I feel that they have definitely helped me to earn more money.

Cons

Trailfinders definitely has an employee retention issue. Among a number of long term employees there is a feeling of not being valued which inevitably leads to an exodus of talent. This is also coupled with a lack career progression if you are not inclined to move/commute to London. The companies policy of hiring internal is a great strength and weakness to the firm. It needs to outsource areas such as marketing/advertising to a third party. A large pay cut was enacted for new hires at a number of branches. I can only think this was done to fund the expansionist policy for new stores. It does however stifle movement of people within the firm. Given Trailfinders is also enjoying a very healthy level of profitability it seems harsh to cut wages in areas where living costs are only ever rising. Attitude to maternity cover needs drastic improvement, a very common complaint by Trailfinders female sales staff is the companies inflexibility when it comes to returning to work after maternity leave. This must be improved

February 26, 2020

Thanks for your post and constructive feedback.

"Interesting enjoyable work"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Proud to work for a company that puts clients first and is well reviewed by clients -Tailor making holidays going to most of the world means the work is interesting and varied - Good pay - Excellent travel opportunities - Generous annual leave allowance - Like minded colleagues, easy to work with, I look forward to seeing them in work -Lovely clients - Lunch provided free of charge

Cons

-Extremely high expectations and targets -Long hours (although on the plus side we don't take work home so a day off is a day off) - Can be tricky to take certain days as annual leave particularly weekend days unless you can find a colleague who is available/willing to swap with you -Maternity pay and long term sick pay is not good

"High Standards, Good Rewards."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bournemouth, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Expectations, and standards are high, but if you knuckle down and get through the first few tricky weeks/months as a consultant, growth can be achieved rapidly. With that growth comes better benefits and uncapped bonuses. I was promoted to team leader after approx 3/4 years and then again to a more senior position in the management team a few years after. The strength of the brand and the reputation of the TF product and, most importantly, the TF staff mean “twiddling of the thumbs” moments are non-existent. There will always be work to do and enquiries to book. Biggest pro working for the company; as a colleague said recently, we forget as staff, some of us are fortunate enough to go on “1 or 2 holidays of a lifetime every year”. Another great thing about TF, I’ve been with them nearly 10 years and met only a very few people in the company I didn’t like.

Cons

Just some kindly advice for any potential candidate; This is not a Silicon Valley Tech company; there are no chill out rooms replete with bean bags, no complimentary smoothie bars, nor running tracks on the landscapes roof...it is a very client focussed company meaning you are expected to be at your desk pretty much for the whole working day. Multiple considerations, based on the company’s needs, mean although we get a lot of leave, it can be tricky to actually book the time off. Open pretty much every bank holiday inc Easter, NY & Xmas Eve, which, although of benefit to some clients, from a staff point of view, can be a tough one to swallow.

August 15, 2019

Thanks for the post. There may not be a smoothie bar (great idea!) but we do provide lunch daily which is a big savings to staff and costs the company £1,750,000 annually.

6. "Great Company, Great Staff, Great Support!"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Trailfinders look after you from the get go- whether its Continuous Training, Career Progression, Travel Opportunities and staff perks like Christmas (&Summer!) Parties and Paid Lunches- they have it all covered and it does not disappoint! What makes the job so interesting is that everyday is unexpected and you will continue learning new things- even years in. The relationship Trailfinders has built with both its Clients and Suppliers makes you proud to work there and driven to maintain it. All of your colleagues will constantly have their own travel stories to tell which not only helps with the job but makes for great lunch time conversation. All in all Trailfinders is a great company to work for and I would highly recommend this is as job for anyone interested in the travel industry.

Cons

Following what my other colleagues have said, yes hours are long and your working week will change days most week. But Trailfinders make the hours transparent when you start and will pay you for any second of overtime you work-unlike many other salaried office jobs. They are also continuing to review the hours and allowing those who prefer to work less hours opportunities to do so should they wish. When it comes to the ever changing working week, this is likely always going to be the case in the Travel industry and I also find that I like a mid week day off. - Oh and one more thing, prepare your loved ones as you will constantly want to go on holiday! (maybe not so much a con!)

"Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bristol, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff perks are great! Staff travel deals, familiar and educational trips are always something that is offered to you if you are hitting your targets and working hard. Lunch is provided and also break is paid. Social atmosphere and attitude is great and positive. Opportunities to try out new stores from 6 to 12 months and bonuses that come with the secondment.

Cons

Long weekend shifts- The importance of being open on a weekend is clear yet the shift patterns seem long. I can only comment on this store in particular , but being open until a 6 on a Sunday seems unnecessary when everything is closed around us and very rarely do we get business later in the day. The uniform, it is a great way to keep consistency across the company - yet the styles are limited. This is something that is being worked on, but maybe a few choices would be great. Taking holiday - The holiday allowance is fantastic , yet taking it can be difficult. single days leave and getting multiple weeks in a row off can prove hard to get.

Continue reading
  8. "Travel Consultant Newcastle"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities to travel with generous leave allowance and other incentives. Love being able to talk about travel all day and being surrounded by like minded, supportive colleagues. Very good pay for the industry and not commission based so don't feel under pressure to 'up-sell'. The management actively seeks employee feedback and suggestions and it's also nice to see a greater focus in recent months on highlighting staff who have the most positive feedback from clients rather than just those who have the highest sales figures.

Cons

Long shifts which are often extended due to being caught up with a client (overtime is paid which is great but also means it's kind of expected) which can make having a good work/life balance tricky at times. Very limited opportunities for advancement unless you are willing to move to another part of the country.

9. "Great travel perks"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Saint Albans, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Trailfinders have a great reputation so proud to work for them. Fantastic travel perks. Great access to resources - have built up a wealth of knowledge about the world. Lots of support behind the scenes so we can focus on selling. Working with likeminded people. Innovative company always trying to improve client offering and streamlining systems internally. Comprehensive and continuous training. Everyday is different so a huge amount of variety.

Cons

It is fairly regimented with many rules, but they make this clear at the interview stage. I'm a rule person, so I don't mind, but if you're not a rule person, this is not the company for you.

Continue reading

"Good experience in the short term"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in London, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discounted travel opportunities Free lunch Good salary/bonuses Good industry training

Cons

Lack of ability to manage people as individuals Constant pressure Heavy workload Automatic distrust of staff Promote excellent customer service but do not treat their staff with the same respect

Found 23 reviews