Thumbtack Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 11 Jul 2020

3.5
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
Cons
  • "There are little to no significant cons to working here, other than growing pains are causing parking to become an issue(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"LoveIts and CBBs"

Former Employee - Manager, Product Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Thumbtack's overall review rating on Glassdoor has really dipped the last few months. Much of this has been driven by negative reviews written in the wake of layoffs that took out 1/3 of the company (250 people). While I understand why people are upset and was among those affected, I try to keep things in perspective and look at the whole picture. When I think back on my year and a half at Thumbtack, the pros that stand out were: - Culture: by and large, Thumbtack is full of individuals who are not only extremely smart and competent, but also humble and great to work with. No jerks - Interesting Work: it's a marketplace company, with customers on one side and professionals on the other. This makes for unique intellectual challenges and makes problems harder (but also more interesting to solve) - Collaboration: everyone wants to help each other succeed - Flexibility and Work/Life Balance: while some weeks were tougher than others, for the most part it was a results-oriented culture where I could get stuff done but also take time for myself

Cons

There were some clear things that CBB (could [have] been better). - Leadership when it comes to executive hiring and transparent communication: overall, the coord team is solid. I respect every single person on that team. However, I do think executive hiring could have been stronger. There was significant turnover and question marks over a relatively short period of time with the Chief Product Officer role, and from the outside looking in, it seemed like leadership didn't align on what they were looking for. Obviously, the layoffs could have been handled more gracefully, and it's telling how many people it upset. - Growth: we struggled with growth during my time at Thumbtack. The company was always trying so hard to move metrics along the conversion funnel to eke out a few % more growth. If you have strong product-market fit, growth shouldn't be so hard. When you aren't growing, it starts to look really risky to take big bets rather than work on small, incremental problems. - Company Goals and Focus: these would change frequently and seemingly swing back and forth along a pendulum. It seemed like we would overreact to missteps and overcorrect. Would cause fatigue and whiplash

July 15, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We genuinely appreciate this transparent review. We're so happy to hear about the amazing teammates and work/life balance you experienced while working for Thumbtack. These things are extremely important when working to build a culture we can be proud of! At the same time, we really value the negative feedback received as it helps us become an even better company. Thank you for your thoughts. We will be passing this along to the appropriate Teams.

2. COVID-19

"Incompetent Leadership, Hypocritical Culture -> Ship is Sinking"

2.0
    Former Employee - Undisclosed

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

- When times were good pre-2020, Thumbtack cultivated a culture of transparency, humility, and work-life balance. - All my managers for the most part prioritized my professional development and supported me to do my job in a fulfilling way. - Most of my coworkers were a pleasure to work with. There wasn't as much politics as other companies at my level due to some good operating processes set up. - The onsite meals were great and the culinary team was world-class.

Cons

But a company's true character shows when times are tough, and Thumbtack completely failed the test. In a founder-CEO company, the true color of company morals is usually a manifestation of the character of the CEO, and I am extremely disappointed how Marco handled the last few months. While Marco had issues pre-pandemic (most prominently, his inability to put together a good executive team and broker cohesion amongst them), I still believed that his overall capability and moral compass would guide Thumbtack through ups and downs. I was wrong: - The covid layoff was a disaster and you can read more about it in the previous reviews. 3 months later both former and current employees are still reeling. Go compare how you handled the layoff to how Brian Chesky handled the Airbnb layoff, night and day difference. Just go read Airbnb's Glassdoor reviews around the same time frame and you will see laid off employees not nearly as scarred. - The icing on the cake is laying off the entire DEI team. Then when BLM protests happened, trying to claim in a public blog post diversity and inclusion is top priority and that they would prioritize hiring DEI folks, without mentioning that they actually laid off the entire DEI team just a couple months ago. Utter hypocrisy. - A lot of the executive team are not qualified. They can't get along with each other. And they keep leaving or keep getting fired. This again illustrates the incompetence of the CEO: -> 4 CPOs over a few years with the last one getting straight up laid off. I think Marco doesn't know how to have a CPO and needs full control over the product. -> No one on the executive team has stayed for more than 3-4 years. The last few years saw complete turnover of the exec team. The current CTO, who's actually qualified, just quit. -> Unqualified people keep getting put onto the exec team. Just one example, the current head of Design has never worked as a Product Designer, but rather a User Researcher and was in school only a few year ago.

July 13, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate your honest feedback as this is how we grow here at thumbtack. We understand we lost your trust during COVID-19 and how the layoffs were handled. Your feedback has been passed along to make sure we’re building a culture based on trust and transparency. We also take DEI very seriously and hiring that team back is one of our top priorities. We truly wish you the best in your future career and thank you for all the time and effort you put into your position with us here at Thumbtack.

3. "Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work culture, work life balance

Cons

Low pay and few opportunity for promotion

July 2, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Thank you so much for leaving this review of your experience at Thumbtack. :) We agree those are some great pros, and we really appreciate your feedback on the cons. We wish you the very best!

4. COVID-19

"Toxic workplace, zero regard for D&I"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent work/life balance Good food -- before COVID

Cons

This company will treat you like you are the best thing since sliced bread one day, and kick you to the curb the next. CEO keeps hiring director-level people who are about 10-15 years behind in experience because folks who are actually qualified are smart enough to know this is place is a sinking ship. Every company decision is political. Leaders claim to be all about transparency but employees know all too well how secretive and diplomatic this place is. Don't even get me started on diversity, equity and belonging -- unless you are a white person, you will always feel left out.

June 12, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review about your personal experience at Thumbtack, even if the feedback is rough. One thing we do want to call out: we recognize that while we've made progress, we need to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a greater focus and one that we maintain for the long-term. We're working hard on that now, starting with a retrospective to more deeply understand the areas we need to work on.

"Lacking real leadership"

1.0
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Amazing food when we were in the office Good work/life balance when in the office

Cons

- I didn't get laid off during the mass layoff but the way it was handled really upset many people including me and leadership never addressed head on why they were so heartless. It was a ton of platitudes and avoiding the real question. Just take a look at the copied and pasted responses to all the reviews to understand the type of stuff we hear weekly as questions are asked. There are things that need to be done to keep a business alive, but there are more humane ways to do it (literally any other way would have been better). - Performance across teams and offices are uneven, which comes across as unfair, making it difficult to get promoted. Leaders don't even seem aware of the numerous people issues or at least they don't care about them. - The culture seems to really vary based on the team you are on and if you end up on the wrong team then it's difficult to move up because of the inconsistencies stated above. - Leadership and management in general can never seem to take ownership of mistakes they've made or continue to make which makes it difficult to give meaningful feedback without fear of repercussions. This is even harder because feedback is not anonymous. - Benefits have deteriorated in the past year including pay cuts

June 1, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We’re sad to hear the impact of the layoffs from you, and we know it’s not just you feeling this way. This has not been an easy time or easy transition through COVID-19. Your thoughts are very valuable to our leadership team. We urge you to also share these thoughts with your Manager to better the culture here at Thumbtack. Taking ownership of mistakes, being able to be promoted, and have consistency across teams is very important, and we want to make sure your feedback is heard. We have also passed this feedback along to the appropriate teams. We wish you the best as we all try to navigate this tough time.

6. "Best place I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, Career Opportunities/ Professional Development, Autonomy, Work-Life Balance. Plus they serve 3 meals a day! Amazing culinary staff and great food. You can really adjust your work hours to match the personal lifestyle that best suits your needs.

Cons

Could be more diverse, not as many URMs as other companies.

February 6, 2020Social Media Support Manager

What a great list of pros! These are some great call-outs about our company and its culture. We're lucky to have employees like you, and we're grateful for your honest feedback about the diversity, This is something we'll always be working at, and we appreciate you pointing it out and keeping it in mind. :)

7. "Wonderful people!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

- Authentic CEO who knows how to take care of people and also make tough business decisions (not one of the bombastic sociopaths you typically find in that role) - Best culinary team in the Bay Area tech scene - Almost all coworkers are nice to work with and worthy of making personal connections with - Excellent work-life balance. You can make time for life outside work and take generous time off to recharge, travel etc - Great office location in SF

Cons

- Frequent major product changes on professionals side make it confusing for both customers and employees - Slower revenue growth than desired - Rank-and-file need more confidence on path to long term success - Good but not magical product; low brand awareness

December 3, 2019Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate you leaving us this review! There's always room for improvement, and you gave some great feedback. We wish you the best in your future career. :)

8. "Great company and team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazing teammates - One of the best culinary teams - Plenty of opportunities for career growth - Great work-life balance

Cons

- Some teams are very low on headcount - The planning process is overkill. Either trim down the process or lower the frequency from every quarter to every trimester

October 22, 2019Social Media Support Manager

We know how important a strong team is to the departments here at Thumbtack. We're working hard to grow that headcount! Thanks for keeping us accountable and working with us through this transitional time.

9. "Strong Company with a Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales Team Lead in Draper, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great benefits - Culinary team that provides breakfast and lunch - Open environment that endorses interdepartmental communication - Opportunity for growth - Great team focused culture with a collaborative environment - Leaders are always looking out for their team members and doing all they can to make sure the individual finds success in the company - No "sales bro" environment , everyone works as a team and looks out for one another. No one is trying to go behind another's back to get the sale. Very honest and collaborative environment - Work life balance is great; when you're home you're home

Cons

- Thumbtack is always evolving and bettering their product, so you have to be able to adapt to new sales processes. If you are very strong willed and aren't open to changing your routine, then this might not be the job for you

October 21, 2019Social Media Support Manager

"Work life balance is great; when you're home you're home". This is what we work so hard for. We want people to enjoy themselves when they come to work ... and enjoy themselves when they get to go home! Thanks for the love.

10. "Awesome Place to work at!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Draper, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Food Compensation Management Work Life Balance Career Advancement

Cons

Only downside is that you cannot work remotely

October 21, 2019Social Media Support Manager

We know working remotely is something you value. However, we hope making the office space enjoyable helps your work life here!

Found 34 reviews