Thumbtack Employee Reviews about "culinary team"

Updated 8 Jul 2020

3.5
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
Cons
  • "There are little to no significant cons to working here, other than growing pains are causing parking to become an issue(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "culinary team"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Incompetent Leadership, Hypocritical Culture -> Ship is Sinking"

2.0
    Former Employee - Undisclosed

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

- When times were good pre-2020, Thumbtack cultivated a culture of transparency, humility, and work-life balance. - All my managers for the most part prioritized my professional development and supported me to do my job in a fulfilling way. - Most of my coworkers were a pleasure to work with. There wasn't as much politics as other companies at my level due to some good operating processes set up. - The onsite meals were great and the culinary team was world-class.

Cons

But a company's true character shows when times are tough, and Thumbtack completely failed the test. In a founder-CEO company, the true color of company morals is usually a manifestation of the character of the CEO, and I am extremely disappointed how Marco handled the last few months. While Marco had issues pre-pandemic (most prominently, his inability to put together a good executive team and broker cohesion amongst them), I still believed that his overall capability and moral compass would guide Thumbtack through ups and downs. I was wrong: - The covid layoff was a disaster and you can read more about it in the previous reviews. 3 months later both former and current employees are still reeling. Go compare how you handled the layoff to how Brian Chesky handled the Airbnb layoff, night and day difference. Just go read Airbnb's Glassdoor reviews around the same time frame and you will see laid off employees not nearly as scarred. - The icing on the cake is laying off the entire DEI team. Then when BLM protests happened, trying to claim in a public blog post diversity and inclusion is top priority and that they would prioritize hiring DEI folks, without mentioning that they actually laid off the entire DEI team just a couple months ago. Utter hypocrisy. - A lot of the executive team are not qualified. They can't get along with each other. And they keep leaving or keep getting fired. This again illustrates the incompetence of the CEO: -> 4 CPOs over a few years with the last one getting straight up laid off. I think Marco doesn't know how to have a CPO and needs full control over the product. -> No one on the executive team has stayed for more than 3-4 years. The last few years saw complete turnover of the exec team. The current CTO, who's actually qualified, just quit. -> Unqualified people keep getting put onto the exec team. Just one example, the current head of Design has never worked as a Product Designer, but rather a User Researcher and was in school only a few year ago.

July 13, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate your honest feedback as this is how we grow here at thumbtack. We understand we lost your trust during COVID-19 and how the layoffs were handled. Your feedback has been passed along to make sure we’re building a culture based on trust and transparency. We also take DEI very seriously and hiring that team back is one of our top priorities. We truly wish you the best in your future career and thank you for all the time and effort you put into your position with us here at Thumbtack.

"The most disappointing end possible."

Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off) The in-house employee resource group leads (though they were laid off)

Cons

Unfortunately, Thumbtack laid off about 250 people. Yes, that’s happening everywhere and it was a necessary business decision, but the way it was delivered was not good. Employees were left scrambling to call their managers and peers trying to figure out what next steps were after being let go. Computers were shut off within minutes (we weren’t told they would be cutoff so quickly, no time for goodbyes) and we barely got 3 weeks of pay and about 4 weeks of health insurance. So many teams, and we’re given absolutely zero details on who they decided to cut. Even executives and long-tenured employees CHOSE to leave alongside those layed-off. I’m not even sure if there’s a recruiting team there anymore but I imagine Thumbtack is no longer a “best workplace”.

May 15, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you being transparent with us and sharing your experience. Having to remotely say goodbye to 250 team members was a decision we had to make due to COVID-19 and it was an extremely hard decision. We support all former employees in their future endeavors, and wish you the best. Thank you for this feedback.

3. "Wonderful people!"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

- Authentic CEO who knows how to take care of people and also make tough business decisions (not one of the bombastic sociopaths you typically find in that role) - Best culinary team in the Bay Area tech scene - Almost all coworkers are nice to work with and worthy of making personal connections with - Excellent work-life balance. You can make time for life outside work and take generous time off to recharge, travel etc - Great office location in SF

Cons

- Frequent major product changes on professionals side make it confusing for both customers and employees - Slower revenue growth than desired - Rank-and-file need more confidence on path to long term success - Good but not magical product; low brand awareness

December 3, 2019Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate you leaving us this review! There's always room for improvement, and you gave some great feedback. We wish you the best in your future career. :)

4. "A wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culinary team is amazing (3 homemade meals a day, can't beat it!), a lot of autonomy, a mission you can get behind and a team that works hard but also has a lot of fun.

Cons

I don't have any negative things to say about working here.

November 15, 2019Social Media Support Manager

So much love for this review! It's so great to be apart of a team that trusts you and believes in having lots of fun. :) Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this platform. We really appreciate the honesty.

5. "Strong Company with a Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales Team Lead in Draper, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great benefits - Culinary team that provides breakfast and lunch - Open environment that endorses interdepartmental communication - Opportunity for growth - Great team focused culture with a collaborative environment - Leaders are always looking out for their team members and doing all they can to make sure the individual finds success in the company - No "sales bro" environment , everyone works as a team and looks out for one another. No one is trying to go behind another's back to get the sale. Very honest and collaborative environment - Work life balance is great; when you're home you're home

Cons

- Thumbtack is always evolving and bettering their product, so you have to be able to adapt to new sales processes. If you are very strong willed and aren't open to changing your routine, then this might not be the job for you

October 21, 2019Social Media Support Manager

"Work life balance is great; when you're home you're home". This is what we work so hard for. We want people to enjoy themselves when they come to work ... and enjoy themselves when they get to go home! Thanks for the love.

"Great place to work, learn, and have impact"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great culture (flexible work hours, and friendly people) - Amazing culinary team. Food that manages to be healthy, diverse and delicious. - Impactful projects - Positive future prospects (I might be biased but I think we have a clear edge over our competitors in the long run)

Cons

Not much to think of.

July 22, 2019Social Media Support Manager

This is what we love to hear! If you ever have anything you think we could improve on, please send it our way.

7. "Great Place to Work at"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture at Thumbtack is Inclusive, open and supportive. Btw, culinary team is awesome.

Cons

The only thing is the 401k.

"Listen to your customer and organizational problems"

2.0

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

- Potentially a good product but lots of people problem - Good food! thank you Culinary team. - Iterative process - Feedback culture (this depends on the team) - Good benefits

Cons

- Slow career progress when your projects have less visibility (even when you work hard) - Leadership talks about the same thing in different words. - Leadership speaks ill of other team members to their direct reports. Not a good culture. This happens a lot in product org. - There is definitely a gender PAY GAP. When a male coworker joined, he shared his salary which was absurdly higher than equal level female peer. - Feedback cycle pertains a lot of criticism rather than recommendation (believe it or not from your managers). This will affect your performance. - When feedback is given to the leadership, usually the next steps/solutions are very unclear and you won't see improvements - Tendency to hire junior-mid level people and promote them to become lead and manager. - Severe lack of soft skills which introduces lots of people problems.

May 22, 2019Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. We do our best to stay competitive as a company and perform competitive, comprehensive analyses to determine the compensation of current and future team members. We strive to ensure that everyone feels challenged and motivated within the roles. HR has been notified of your feedback.

"Life at Thumbtack"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super engaged team all around- entire org is built on a culture of support. Everyone is always willing to do what they can to help. Awesome Work/Life balance. Amazing in-house culinary team.

Cons

Management sometimes makes VERY POOR decisions without really thinking about how that will affect everyone else. Company did not value the recruiting team until it started falling apart. No raises or compensation adjustments. Lots of placating to buy themselves time only to waste the time of the employee.

May 16, 2019Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback with us. We value our employees and do our best to stay competitive as a company and perform competitive, comprehensive analyses to determine the compensation of current and future team members. HR has been notified of your feedback.

"Thumbtack is such an amazing place to work!"

5.0

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

I have so many pros when thinking about my experience so far at Thumbtack. Below are a few that stand out when I reflect on my time here: - A collaborative, open-minded culture - Humble, intelligent, and kind coworkers - Meaningful work -- an opportunity to help small businesses grow and solve super complex yet interesting challenges - An incredible culinary team that prepares amazing food and meals for Thumbtack employees - A good work / life balance - Transparent management

Cons

No 401k matching offered at the moment and more people need to know about and use Thumbtack! Overall, I have so many pros when thinking about my time at this company and so very few cons -- it is an incredible place to work!

Found 23 reviews