ThoughtWorks Principal Consultant Reviews

Updated 8 May 2020

3.9
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
  1. "Great challenges, great people, and very inclusive"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is much better than I’ve experienced at other consultancies and product companies. It’s a global organisation with lots of regional autonomy. I feel I can be myself there at all times. Compared to other organisations of its size and type, the gender balance is decent and improving. It’s a good place for people who require flexible ways of working to be, and as a non-male technology leader, I feel very comfortable and respected. The culture is relaxed and the company is full of social justice warriors who believe technology can change the world for good.

Cons

Very fast growth in the Spain region has made it difficult to keep up with the underlying operational changes required when nearly doubling in size each year and the recent global crises have made these pain points more apparent; however the leadership team seems dedicated to addressing these issues in the coming year. And it’s still better than working for a carnica in any situation.

ThoughtWorks2020-05-08

"Worst company for laterals"

1.0
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Bangalore

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Salary - Some benefits like food, juice etc Honestly nothing beyond this.

Cons

- Just the environment to start with. Its highly unprofessional. They seem to think they are out of sky just by being unprofessional. - Clumsy workplaces (literally 8-10 people sitting around in a table filled with bags and wires and other accessories). - Any one can talk anything to customers and give any commitments and later say they gave no commitments. So many sleepless nights only to deliver what some brain dead person has committed. - Full of arrogant loudmouths who keep on talking just because they can talk and it gets rewarded here in TW for some strange reason. - In the name of job rotation, techies are made HR professionals. They display no empathy, personal connect with people. A case being an architect given HR management responsibility. Most arrogant and cunning person. Shows no remorse in circumventing the HR policies - eg: exit interviews are standard while exiting. However, if you are not on the good people list, exit interviews doesn't apply for you so that your opinions dont get registered. - People champions should defend the people. Here, they are dumbest of all people and cannot put forth their ideas because they have no experience in people management. I can add lot more. However, summary is, as lateral, you will not feel respected here. Your life is much better if you dont join. Best of luck.

ThoughtWorks2020-02-15
  3. "Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Surrounded by brilliant yet kind colleagues

Cons

Career paths can be a bit nebulous

ThoughtWorks2019-11-24

December 13, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Our people are what makes ThoughtWorks such a unique place to work, so we're happy to read you enjoy your colleagues. And career trajectories are fairly self-directed here, as we encourage ThoughtWorkers to create their own paths. We've seen many colleagues make unique transitions because of this, but we understand it may not be ideal for everyone. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

4. "Come for the people, stay for the people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People, responsibility, Variety, freedom, transparency, leading tech

Cons

Stress, Variety, support, Travel, something

ThoughtWorks2019-11-13

May 4, 2020Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear you recognise what makes ThoughtWorks remarkable: our people.

"Not what it was, has devolved into a higher end body shop"

2.0
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You might get to meet Martin Fowler

Cons

Everything else. Seriously. This is a company where good talent goes to be exploited. They hire great talent, promise the world, underpay people by over 50%, and make talent that has skills to start companies and change the world build things that do not matter and are not interesting. Do you have the talent to get into Google, but want to get paid 50% of your market rate, never see your family (100% travel required), and write boring Java code for grocery stores or banks? Come to ThoughtWorks! We will put you on a plane to amazing locations like Ohio, Delaware, and Oklahoma City while you work on your 4th divorce!

ThoughtWorks2019-10-05

December 4, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We know work travel can be challenging at times. As a software consultancy, we believe we’re the best partner for our clients when we can be there working alongside with them. However, in order to better support our consultants, we’ve rolled out some changes in the last year, such as our Global Travel Program which improves flexibility, convenience, and choice for our consultants while traveling. We do appreciate the time you spent with us, though, and wish you the best of luck in your new role.

6. "Amazing journey"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ThoughtWorks has some of the best and brightest people in the industry. They will challenge you to be your best every day. I had the chance to try our a variety of roles throughout my journey. The flexibility and support for career development is great.

Cons

Traveling to clients every week can get tiresome after a while. The non-hierarchcial management structure can make finding internal leadership opportunities challenging.

ThoughtWorks2016-01-26

"Great company to work for"

Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtWorks for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really good people. Lots of learning opportunities. Interesting work. Flattish structure. Heart in absolutely right place.

Cons

Does not pay market salary. Flat structure confusing in terms of reporting lines

ThoughtWorks2015-07-01
  8. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at ThoughtWorks has been an absolutely amazing experience. I've worked shoulder to shoulder with the brightest minds in technology today, met and worked with my heroes, and travelled the world (India, Africa, US, Canada), all while solving amazingly interesting, super tough challenges with exciting technologies.

Cons

Travel is often amazing, but sometimes a drawback. If you're willing to travel for ThoughtWorks however, it opens up your career to the global market, which really increases the quality of the work you have access to.

ThoughtWorks2015-04-28

"Awesome opportunities"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ThoughtWorks is a company that really delivers on what it promises from a cultural perspective. Opportunities to lead are available from within your office, country or globally.

Cons

I have not yet met a senior consultant who has moved to ThoughtWorks to get a pay rise. The culture and opportunities generally exceed the payroll anyway.

ThoughtWorks2014-09-09
  10. "Self selected group"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chengdu, Sichuan

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Almost allow you to do anything you like to do. All kinds of opportunities across various countries and industries. Very supportive leadership teams providing mentoring and coaching.

Cons

...only when you are proactive and self-motivated. When you are not, you will soon find yourself staying in a silent corner without "structural support" you might expect to happen automatically, or you will be send to boring clients to do some boring work. But, hey, at the end of the day, since you don't have a preference on what you want to do, what is the base to complain "that's something I don't want to do"? Summary: it's heaven for some people and hell for some other. If you find it doesn't fit you, quit quickly and join IBM.

ThoughtWorks2014-07-25