Tableau Software "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Tableau Software Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 27 Dec 2019

3.7
Tableau Software CEO Adam Selipsky
Adam Selipsky
Pros
  • "Great product that customers love(in 81 reviews)

• "This is the first job where I feel like my work/life balance is valued and truly in balance(in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • "Since the company grew so fast so quickly, we experienced many growing pains along the way(in 50 reviews)

• "The company is growing at a good pace, however we need more space for everyone(in 26 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Finance"

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

- amazing benefits - good work life balance

Cons

- a bit of disparity between US and ROW

Tableau Software2019-05-20
  2. "Good Company"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software for less than a year

Pros

Free food Good team atmosphere Great work/life balance

Cons

Company bought by Salesforce has growing pains being acquired changing the company dynamics.

Tableau Software2019-12-27

"Great people, great product and good work/life balance"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- This is the first job where I feel like my work/life balance is valued and truly in balance. Of course there are sales targets and end of quarter pressure, but that's not unlike any other sales position. - I usually go to work with a smile on my face because I know I will spend the day with a like-minded, fun and international group of people. - Customers truly love what Tableau can do for their company, which makes conversations fun. Because of the nature of the product and the focus of customers on data you typically have strategic conversations with C-level people, which (in my opinion) is more fun than solely speaking with IT. - opportunity to travel to territory for events and see customers face to face

Cons

- Tableau has transformed from being a scale-up to an enterprise company (and now acquired by Salesforce), which has brought about some cultural shifts and challenges (as evidenced by some of the negative reviews on here probably). Some promotions that didn't make sense and lack of promotions where they should have happened. There are now, however, visible changes in approach to professional development of employees. - same quotas for very different territories can skew the way success is measured.

Advice to Management

- Take a closer look (at the data!) for quotas in different territories or regions within territories

Tableau Software2019-11-18

"Do not recommend the LATAM team to anyone"

Current Employee - Account Manager Latin America in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Tableau is a great software. People love our product. Tableau's bootcamp is great, our SKO and yearly conference are very well planned and executed.

Cons

I've been working for a few months on the LATAM team here at Tableau, and I regret having made the decision to join this team. Managers, Directors and VP's should be people that truly care about your career success and make you feel empowered. Unfortunately, they are individuals that joined the company at an early stage and got promote into management which is a usual mistake companies make. Their idea of management is super old school. They lead based on fear, they don't allow you to have a work life balance, and they simply don't bring anything positive to the table. Most partners have warned me to never bring my superiors to any onsite client meetings. For people looking to join a LATAM team, I would advise you not to look at Tableau as a possible employer. Lastly, their compensation package is very bad in comparison to other tech companies.

Advice to Management

I would advise SFDC to look into this situation. According to the Bureau of Labor, employees are now quitting their jobs at the highest rate in a decade across all industries. PWC estimates that costs can reach up to 40% of a firm’s earnings - with sales turnover estimated at up to 5x the person’s salary.

Tableau Software2019-09-12

"Good work/life balance with good pay"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Data visualization and data analytics are still hot and profitable. Pay is good. If you count the sign-on stock that is a lot. Work/life balance is very good.

Cons

If you are a hard-working person, you probably won't get rewarded as much as you expected.

Tableau Software2019-08-02

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great software. Customers love it. Great work life balance.

Cons

Territories shrinking. New licensing makes big deals tougher. Compensation on new deals shrinking

Tableau Software2019-06-30

"A Good Company Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tableau is a great company overall. Great people, good benefits, interesting product, and good culture. There is a reputation for low pay, but I have not experienced that myself.

Cons

Tableau still thinks, believes, and even says they are in startup mode. At Tableau's current scale, this means enterprise customers are extremely frustrated because of amateur mistakes making for terrible product quality. Inside, this means mismanagement, no opportunities to move up in offices outside of Seattle, a poor work-life balance, and a lack of role clarity.

Advice to Management

Keep moving the old blood out and empower newer management to enact positive change.

Tableau Software2019-06-06

"Worklife balance without sacrificing the "work" part"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Often people say "good work-life balance" when they mean: the work is easy and none of my coworkers are smart than me. Tableau is full of smart people & challenging projects without the fear that if you don't put in well over 40 hours a week, you're in trouble.

Cons

Writing software to work online and on-prem can be a pain

Tableau Software2019-05-23

"From great to good and then fine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Products are good. Benefits are great. Work life balance is great. Great place for a short term resume boost. Not a place that you can build a career.

Cons

Culture has steadily declined. Churn is constant but it’s just reorgs and never meaningful change. It’s becoming a Microsoft. Embarrassing lack of diversity in leadership, refusal to do anything about it while slapping some marketing on it (hey, look at this diversity related dashboard a customer made!). Usually terrible people don’t get in but there are some really abusive and toxics (or incompetent) who will never not have a place here. zero transparency, little respect. Simply another tech corporation concerned about one thing, despite the “mission”.

Advice to Management

If I felt you would listen and address advice I would give it but this is not the case.

Tableau Software2019-05-29

"Great Work Life Balance and Opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

* My manager is one of the best I've had. They embody the mindset of using projects to grow the team, as opposed to using people to get projects done. I respect that a lot and see people on my team growing as a result. * People are really nice over here. They're all professional and support each other. It feels like the teams are working together rather than competing against each other. * Work life balance is amazing. 3 weeks starting vacation, lots of sick days, meetings are usually scheduled to start/end between 10-5.

Cons

* The company is growing at a good pace, however we need more space for everyone. You won't be sharing your desk with another person, but you may have to deal with finding your own parking spot if you drive.

Advice to Management

* Keep on driving the team spirit. I believe there's a lot of good coming out of the teams that are pulling Tableau forward for our customers. * Don't let the innovative ideas from our hackathons go to waste.

Tableau Software2019-03-16