State of Nevada Family Services Specialist I Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.3
State of Nevada Governor  Brian Sandoval
Brian Sandoval
0 Rating

"Family Services Specialist I/II"

Family Services Specialist I in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada for less than a year

Pros

Mon-Fri 8-5. Weekends off. Opportunity to work 4/10s. Paid training. Great people to work with. Personal fulfillment and satisfaction when you're able to help clients in need. Each case is different so there is not a lot of redundancy.

Cons

Pay is not the highest in the land. Can become jaded rather easily. If you're not comfortable with change, this isn't the right job for you. Policy changes often which requires a high level of adaptability. Office environment varies by location.

State of Nevada2016-05-22

"Working with DWSS"

Current Employee - Family Services Specialist I in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada full-time

Pros

Work hours are 8 to 5 with an hour lunch. All cases are processed same day which means there is no work left over for the next day. Most clients are fairly nice and almost everyone is a joy to work with. Safe work environment. Time off policy is excellent. You gain 4 hours of sick and another 4 for annual each paycheck. It's easy to take time off.

Cons

The job takes time to catch on to. There's a lot of information to learn and you can feel like you are not an asset or you may feel like you aren't catching on as quickly as you should. After a year you start to feel better about your position. The pay is not great for the amount of time and skill it takes to do the job. The retirement plan is great but they take 14.5 percent of your check for the first 5 years which takes some adjustments financially. It takes a toll on your finances. They take almost 200 out of each check. But it will be worth it at retirement.

Advice to Management

Create a comment box for customers or an optional online survey. There's no formal way to gain recognition from clients.

State of Nevada2015-07-20

"A satisfying place to work!! You won't get rich.....but it is very unlikely you will get laid off!!"

Current Employee - Family Services Specialist I in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada full-time for more than a year

Pros

In the process of changing the manner in which cases are processed so that workers are not saddled with an overwhelming case load. Every once in a while you get the satisfaction of knowing you helped someone who really needed help!!

Cons

Constant changes in policies, you are subject to be moved from one district office to another depending on the agency's needs, and at least until 2015 you are still subject to the unpaid furloughs.

Advice to Management

Keep treating employees in a welcoming and supportive fashion. Don't be afraid to take on those employees who either by negative action or negative speech damage employee morale.

State of Nevada2014-10-11
  4. "Extensive training that doesn't train you for real world work"

Former Employee - Family Services Specialist I in Henderson, NV

I worked at State of Nevada full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is pension to look forward to if you can stomach 30 years.

Cons

Not enough pay for what you have to deal with. Case load is unreasonable. Despite being a "trainee" for a year, once you get to an office, you are on your own and actually getting any guidance is impossible despite the constant aura of micromanagement.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach

State of Nevada2013-07-12