State Farm Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Michael L. Tipsord
2,464 Ratings
  1. "Claims ILR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at State Farm part-time for less than a year

Pros

The BENEFITS ! A lension, PTO from the day you start a very understanding family oriented company.

Cons

Never sign up for part-time if you have full time financial commitments. They say you can move up to full-time once you understand your job. But then when you hit the floor it is upsetting..

State Farm2015-11-06

"An Amazing Decline/Trust Your Gut"

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

(At the time) Fair pay and predictable bonus structure They were pretty good at covering travel expenses and paying them back quickly Diverse workforce & diversity initiatives Fun and funny coworkers Opportunities for growth Again, this was all four years ago and has likely changed

Cons

(At the time and now, according to other comments) Arrogant to a fault Total lack of innovation & willingness to innovate Odd attachment to the company's past (which prevents progress) High number of veterans (20+ years) who are determined to get that retirement money, and therefore, are resistant to change and technology Heavy reliance on command and control management style Poor decision-making that leads to losses of all kinds

Advice to Management

When I was first hired to State Farm back in 2010, I felt truly blessed and fortunate. I felt I had found my work "home," and that I would be able to learn and grow over time, and watch my career develop. And guess what? It did. I held three different positions at State Farm, each "better" than the last in terms of challenge, growth, and pay. I used to brag to others about State Farm and actively try to recruit them. I was a true believer and evangelist. State Farm was like an abusive relationship in that, there were times when things were good! Really good! And then, there were those bad times... Even though my career was progressing, I was met at every level with some of the most hateful, spiteful, narcissistic leadership you could ever imagine. Egomaniacs and control freaks of the highest order. It was almost like they didn't want us to succeed, for fear that we may take their jobs someday. The behaviors got so bad that I even told one of my managers, "There's no amount of money in this world that could get me to do your job. You all seem miserable." This was toward the end of our relationship, of course. In each role, my managers found something, anything they could to harp on, and once I fixed that, something new would pop up to "fix." It was a moving target. They never taught, they only scolded. They treated employees of every age like children, from age 21 to age 61. It was disgraceful. Others took the time to focus on my personality. My work product was excellent and above standard according to one, but they always shifted the focus to my "happiness." "Are you happy? You don't seem happy. Others are worried that you're not happy. Are you happy? Your happiness, or lack thereof, is affecting the team." When I'd ask clarifying questions like, "What makes you think I'm not happy?" "How is it affecting the team?" "Describe a time when you distinctly thought I wasn't happy..." they couldn't do it. Never could. It morphed into vague generalizations and hearsay (made up stuff). They could never give me actionable specifics, and therefore, I could never correct the "problems." At the time, I did not realize that I was witnessing the beginning of the end. Everything that happened to me was symptomatic of a company preparing to enter into decline. Instead of leadership banding together and figuring out how to fix it, they chose to eat their babies. And they're paying for it dearly now. The second part of this title is to trust your gut, and this is where I'll speak to current employees: When I quit State Farm, people thought I was crazy. I had a great title and pay. I had climbed through the ranks relatively quickly. The path was clear, but I wasn't willing to fight off psychopaths along the way. So I trusted my belief that I could do better for myself, and I did. You don't deserve poor treatment from anyone, and especially not your employer. Sometimes you have to vote with your feet. Although you will be brainwashed, threatened, and intimidated, State Farm is not the end all be all. There is life outside of SF. There are other industries. Regardless of what you do, you have picked up some valuable skills that are highly transferable in the marketplace. Don't give up on yourself. Start saving money and get out of there. You will survive and you will be better for it.

State Farm2018-03-09
  3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Construction Detailer

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Values employee growth and learning

Cons

None at all, great company

State Farm2020-01-20
  4. "Endless Resources"

Current Employee - Multi Line Specialist

I have been working at State Farm part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company with much training and help to encourage employees and help succeed.

Cons

All agents have different employee systems.

State Farm2020-01-21
  5. "Claims Specialist"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits; Great Culture;Management truly cares

Cons

Training not as extensive as it used to be for newer employees.

State Farm2020-01-20
  6. "Decent for a corporate gig"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Ongoing changes to the IT department, some are good, and some aren't.

Cons

No 401k match to speak of ($1k or so). They do have a pension, but you need to work there for 5 years to vest. Pension is maybe worth 5-7% of your pay at a guess. If you are going to work there for 20+ years, then it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Don't drift any farther away from the principles that have sustained the company up till this point.

State Farm2020-01-19
  7. "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Florence, KY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at State Farm part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere and staff

Cons

As an intern there weren't any cons

State Farm2020-01-18
  8. "Average Company"

Current Employee - Agency Career Track Specialist

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pension, stable job, flexible positions

Cons

Behind the times, slow to promote

State Farm2020-01-16
  9. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Office Manager

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, fast paced, opportunities, good hours

Cons

Can be monotonous at times, rude customers

State Farm2020-01-15
  10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Subrogation

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits Hours Compensation could be better but decent Flexibility

Cons

Not many opportunities for movement

State Farm2020-01-15