Square Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 26 Jan 2020

3.9
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
Pros
  • "High emphasis on work life balance and a culture within the talent org of trying new things like supporting remote recruiters/managers(in 46 reviews)

• "Open, transparent, low ego work environment(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office(in 28 reviews)

• "Just starting 401k matching so the program is not as developed as some others yet (but will get there)(in 20 reviews)

1. "Great time to join Square UK team - exciting growth ahead!"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Dynamic team--everyone in the office is incredibly hardworking and talented - Better than average pay and benefits for local job market - Great opportunities to take ownership in an entry-level role - Quickly growing market means there's lots of room for growth, progression, and cross-functional exposure - Transparent company culture

Cons

- Sometimes daily work can feel distant from the product and mission since Square is not available in Ireland yet - The primary office locations in the US means there can be some time delays for cross-functional work (this is improving though!)

Square2020-01-03
  2. "Good employer"

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

Good employer that values employees

Cons

Not a lot of room for improvement

Square2019-11-13

"Best company I've worked for"

Former Employee - New Market Success/Beta Programmer Success in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've really gained some life skills working there. I was trusted the moment I stepped a foot in the door and was respected when asking questions and encouraged to change procedures and processes that slowed progression and did not benefit the customers. I was put in charge of new development projects with any guidance I needed and was told about what other teams were working on for the sake of transparency, clarity and being able to help them if I could and wanted. Overall would definitely go back to square if I have the chance to move back to Ireland .

Cons

Some of the work hours were long, but only by your own choice.

Advice to Management

Follow up with interview candidates to give feedback on the interview, I know it takes time but it's such a personal touch and really helps people apply for jobs in the future.

Square2018-08-03

"Fantastic company with a great product and amazing colleagues"

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Working with an amazing team. Everyone is hardworking, smart and super nice. - Everyone works cross-functionally and is eager to help out other teams. - Better than average pay, good benefits. - Fully stocked kitchen that will keep you fed and watered at all times. - Challenging work and an amazing product!

Cons

- No product in market means that you are sometimes feeling a bit 'remote' from the actual product. - No stock (RSUs) for entry level positions.

Square2018-08-01

"Exciting time to work on the UK team"

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Having just launched in the UK a little over year ago, its a super exciting time to be working in Square UK. It has the fast-paced spark and passion of a start up, with the support systems of an established company. A win win! -Small, amazing team = getting lot of responsibility which leaves you feeling like you are making a true impact. -Tonnes of cross functional exposure -New hire training in San Francisco - Great benefits, fully stocked kitchen with allll the coffee.

Cons

Working from a location where Square is not available (Ireland), can lead to a feeling of disconnect at times. It would be great to see our products and merchants in the wild.

Square2018-07-30
  6. "Not to be dramatic, but Square has radically improved my life"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people. Lovely people to work with who are incredibly helpful. You often hear rhetoric at other companies like "we're /disrupting/ and changing the world", but at Square, you'll find that people are more humble about the mission of economic empowerment and people have full lives outside of Square. - Product ownership is huge here. I feel like I get to weigh in on decisions for product, and innovate on our products with new ideas. - Engineering excellence. I worked at startups before this, where engineering was haphazard and unfocused. Here you learn how to build incredibly performant, secure products that integrate with a global payments stack - Career ladder is well defined for software engineers. Clear paths for I.C.s vs management roles and my EM's have all been very receptive to my career goals. - Perks are amazing. Free lunch and breakfast everyday (I wish we still had free dinner) and lots of other freebies that are icing on the cake when picking a job. - It's in the best location in S.F., in mid-market. Incredibly close to Hayes Valley, the Mission, Alamo Square, etc.

Cons

- Tension between having an ecosystem of products that are all working towards their own goals, while needing to collaborate with other teams where roadmaps were not aligned between teams - Company feels less transparent as we get bigger - Honestly, I wish we still had the free dinner perk. It made it really easy to not have to cook on a weeknight if I was working late. Buuuut it was overall really great that they cancelled dinner service because I have a better work-life balance leaving work earlier instead of working later to get dinner.

Advice to Management

I love management here. Jack has set this company up successfully where he is not a bottleneck for decision making, and the core leadership team is good at setting direction for the company. Advice: I think wherever possible, the leadership team should follow Jack's example and not make themselves bottlenecks either and keep pushing decision making back down to the product teams.

Square2020-01-27
  7. "Great place"

Current Employee - OTR/L, CHT

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Great place to work, it’s fantastic!

Cons

Can feel a bit chilly sometimes

Square2020-01-16
  8. "Best job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Cash Specialty Team

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

The People The starting pay The opportunities to grow The culture

Cons

For me nothing. I'm truly happy to be a part of this company and I look forward to retiring from here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and build on it.

Square2020-01-13

"Great work life balance, low pay"

Current Employee - Consignment Inventory Analyst

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office, amazing breakfast and lunch, young/lively coworkers, work life balance

Cons

Extremely low pay for silicon valley standards. The sentiment seemed the same across all teams, not just sales. This causes very high attrition among good employees. Good ones leave, bad ones stay

Advice to Management

pay up to the standards of your neighboring tech companies in the valley

Square2020-01-07
  10. "Worth the time"

Former Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

Incredible coworkers. Great challenges and fascinating industry. Innovation, especially in Cashapp

Cons

company went through a lot of reorg-s recently.

Square2019-12-27