Square Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.0
Square CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
Pros
Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office(in 28 reviews)

• "Just starting 401k matching so the program is not as developed as some others yet (but will get there)(in 20 reviews)

"Best company I've worked for"

Former Employee - New Market Success/Beta Programmer Success in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've really gained some life skills working there. I was trusted the moment I stepped a foot in the door and was respected when asking questions and encouraged to change procedures and processes that slowed progression and did not benefit the customers. I was put in charge of new development projects with any guidance I needed and was told about what other teams were working on for the sake of transparency, clarity... and being able to help them if I could and wanted. Overall would definitely go back to square if I have the chance to move back to Ireland .

Cons

Some of the work hours were long, but only by your own choice.

Advice to Management

Follow up with interview candidates to give feedback on the interview, I know it takes time but it's such a personal touch and really helps people apply for jobs in the future.

Square2018-08-03

"Fantastic company with a great product and amazing colleagues"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Working with an amazing team. Everyone is hardworking, smart and super nice. - Everyone works cross-functionally and is eager to help out other teams. - Better than average pay, good benefits. - Fully stocked kitchen that will keep you fed and watered at all times. - Challenging work and an amazing product!

Cons

- No product in market means that you are sometimes feeling a bit 'remote' from the actual product. - No stock (RSUs) for entry level positions.

Square2018-08-01

"Exciting time to work on the UK team"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Having just launched in the UK a little over year ago, its a super exciting time to be working in Square UK. It has the fast-paced spark and passion of a start up, with the support systems of an established company. A win win! -Small, amazing team = getting lot of responsibility which leaves you feeling like you are making a true impact. -Tonnes of cross functional exposure -New hire training in San... Francisco - Great benefits, fully stocked kitchen with allll the coffee.

Cons

Working from a location where Square is not available (Ireland), can lead to a feeling of disconnect at times. It would be great to see our products and merchants in the wild.

Square2018-07-30
  4. "Square Support"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are great as well as the culture

Cons

phones and schedule as well as work life balance

Advice to Management

n/A

Square2019-09-12
  5. "Decrease in Transparency"

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and great people

Cons

Lack of transparency, growing bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Be more proactive rather than reactive, trust your employees and communicate with them, be as transparent as possible

Square2019-09-12
  6. "Great company culture!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

Square has a great company culture - they really believe in creating a comfortable environment for their employees to thrive in. Great perks!

Cons

Pay is extremely low for industry standard

Advice to Management

You have to pay for talent!

Square2019-09-05
  7. "Analyst position"

Current Employee - Seller Risk Analyst

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and environment to work in

Cons

Career progression lacks a bit as well as transparency

Square2019-08-30
  8. "Seedy Underbelly of Square"

Former Employee - Cash App - Customer Sucess in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Amazing Paid Time Off - Decent healthcare -Casual Dresscode -Free meals and snacks -Most employees are hardworking and friendly

Cons

-Shady management practices -Abuses their underbanked customers by running product experiments on the customer's finances -preaches a culture of transparency but changes practices and management like revolving door -no ongoing education for the customer success advocates -resistance to providing mental health allowances -Advocates encouraged to lie to customers -intentionally vague attendance policy -no... mobility to jump from advocate to management level -majority of the management is not required to have any product or role knowledge so they're unable to coach

Square2019-09-12
  9. "One of the best recruiting teams I've ever worked with"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tons of collaboration and support for one another with a focus on doing the right thing rather than just trying to fluff your hiring numbers. Generally really great hiring managers who really care about being involved with the hiring process from sourcing all the way to closing. There's definitely some stand out hiring managers and some more apathetic ones, but our overall recruiting model rewards managers who are... more involved. As Square has grown we've needed to adapt and change our interview processes for specialized skill-sets and there's been more support for these kinds of changes than there has been blockers (across engineering and talent). High emphasis on work life balance and a culture within the talent org of trying new things like supporting remote recruiters/managers.

Cons

As we've grown so rapidly, there's definitely a lot of things that are being done reactively and so there's a bit of pain in dealing with broken things as they are getting fixed. ie how often our comp bands get updated (this is gotten better!)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the teams and even though there's an endless amount of things to fix, find opportunities to be proactive on future problems.

Square2019-08-28

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture, benefits, competitive salaries, nice office space

Cons

No clear growth paths, lots of ambiguity due to the company being fairly new

Square2019-08-19