Square Reviews

Updated 2 Aug 2020

4.1
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
Pros
  • "Great work/life balance - leadership advocates for this pretty consistently(in 52 reviews)

• "They offer great benefits for their employees while also helping them further in their career(in 31 reviews)

Cons

"Great time to join Square UK team - exciting growth ahead!"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Dynamic team--everyone in the office is incredibly hardworking and talented - Better than average pay and benefits for local job market - Great opportunities to take ownership in an entry-level role - Quickly growing market means there's lots of room for growth, progression, and cross-functional exposure - Transparent company culture

Cons

- Sometimes daily work can feel distant from the product and mission since Square is not available in Ireland yet - The primary office locations in the US means there can be some time delays for cross-functional work (this is improving though!)

2. "Good employer"

4.0

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

Good employer that values employees

Cons

Not a lot of room for improvement

"Best company I've worked for"

Former Employee - New Market Success/Beta Programmer Success in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've really gained some life skills working there. I was trusted the moment I stepped a foot in the door and was respected when asking questions and encouraged to change procedures and processes that slowed progression and did not benefit the customers. I was put in charge of new development projects with any guidance I needed and was told about what other teams were working on for the sake of transparency, clarity and being able to help them if I could and wanted. Overall would definitely go back to square if I have the chance to move back to Ireland .

Cons

Some of the work hours were long, but only by your own choice.

Continue reading

"Exciting time to work on the UK team"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Having just launched in the UK a little over year ago, its a super exciting time to be working in Square UK. It has the fast-paced spark and passion of a start up, with the support systems of an established company. A win win! -Small, amazing team = getting lot of responsibility which leaves you feeling like you are making a true impact. -Tonnes of cross functional exposure -New hire training in San Francisco - Great benefits, fully stocked kitchen with allll the coffee.

Cons

Working from a location where Square is not available (Ireland), can lead to a feeling of disconnect at times. It would be great to see our products and merchants in the wild.

5. COVID-19

"Great culture; great mission; interesting work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can't speak for other offices, but pay in Atlanta is top-of-market. Flexible culture. Work from home is going to be allowed permanently, even after the whole COVID situation is over. Flexible PTO. Extensive parental leave. Good balance in engineering culture between shipping features and paying down tech debt. I think this is an overlooked variable at many companies. At Square my experience is that careful consideration is paid to the decision between moving quickly to deliver vs taking time to go back and clean up old messes. Upward mobility. If you come in as a junior engineer, you don't have to look for another job after 2 years to find more responsibilities and commensurate compensation increase. Evaluation for promotion is built-in to the system, and pay increases for promo are considerable, not just token raises. Worthwhile mission. Square is a company that actually takes its mission of "economic empowerment" seriously. It's not just a payments company or a POS company. It's a company that works hard to deliver the products that small businesses need. Interesting work. Whatever you're interested in, Square is probably doing it. Nitty-gritty payments code, ML, cryptocurrency, front-end design and engineering, etc. Room for growth as a company. There's still lots of uncaptured opportunity out there for Square, and the business is actively seeking it out.

Cons

Promotion process is kind of drawn-out and opaque. You work with your manager to put together a promo packet, but then don't hear anything back for at least several weeks. Company culture is fairly homogenous politically. Some people are outspoken about their political beliefs, but it would probably be somewhat uncomfortable for someone who isn't at least moderately liberal to voice their beliefs. Not many cons. I plan to be at Square for the long-haul.

6. "Love it! - Best Interview + Onboarding Experience Ever!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Plenty of room to grow and excel career wise - The best onboarding experience I've ever had.. honestly, really set the bar! - Great benefits + great culture, everyone's super friendly and always ready to help - WFH - Leadership really cares and pushes you to achieve potential inside and outside work

Cons

- Work life balance during busy seasons/days

"Glad to be here!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working at Square because the mission is so easy to be proud of. I hire people to drive economic growth. There is just so much impact to be made here.

Cons

You have to be open to ambiguity. We don't have levels, so career growth is in your own hands. You can make it what you want - so if you like formalized structure, this might not be the place for you.

8. "Sense of Fulfillment and great work culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Lots of autonomy - everyone is helpful and extremely friendly - Great company perks and strong collaborative environment - The leadership really cares and has transparent roadmap

Cons

- Sometimes the work life balance is blurred due to workload

9. COVID-19

"Great Company to Work For! Enjoyable Interview + Onboarding Process During COVID-19"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Interactive and enjoyable onboarding process -Tommy in particular was great during the interview and hiring process. He kept me informed during all stages and answered any questions I may have had very quickly. He even responded back to me outside of normal working hours which I greatly appreciated -Amazing work culture (everyone is eager to help, welcoming and incredibly diverse) -Awesome Benefits (great healthcare + wellness plans, unlimited vacation, WFH) -Reachable and transparent leadership team -Lots of opportunities to learn + take on more responsibility

Cons

-WFH during Covid-19 makes it difficult to meet team members in-person -Such a large organization means there is a lot of initial learning to do when trying to figure out proper channels of communication

10. "Good Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

The people who work here are smart and passionate

Cons

A lot of middle management

Found 543 reviews