Spiceworks Employee Reviews about "austin"

Updated 2 Jan 2019

3.8
Spiceworks President Steve Horowitz (no image)
Steve Horowitz
Pros
  • "When going through the interview process a lot of promises were made around the company culture, the autonomous nature of the role etc(in 15 reviews)

• "Casual dress code, approachable team members, free food(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "It’s a mid-size company that has experienced some growing pains over the past few years(in 12 reviews)

• "Company either can't or doesn't want to invest in developers in Austin(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "austin"

Return to all Reviews

"Used to be a great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good people -Products that help I.T. pros do their job. -Decent benefits.

Cons

-Lack of direction. -Applications that customers depend on are becoming neglected and outdated. -Bleeding employees. A whole lot of turnover in development. The engineering department is a shadow of its former self. -Company either can't or doesn't want to invest in developers in Austin. Now opening an engineering office in India. -Terrible commute on 360 -Below average pay

Spiceworks Response

March 13, 2019CEO & Co-founder

Agree with you on the great people & helping IT pros do their jobs -- which is to keep millions of organizations worldwide up-and-running and moving forward with new technology every day. However, I'd like to address your concerns re: direction and turnover. For over 6 months in our bi-weekly company town halls, at Spiceworld, and in the community we've discussed our direction, vision and 3 pillar strategy on building connections in the IT marketplace. It is true that direction is increasingly less dependent on on-premise applications which is consistent with how the IT world has evolved over the past 13 years we've been around. With regards to turnover, the facts are that 3 years ago we had a much bigger engineering dept. Unfortunately many of the projects folks were working on weren't used by many people and weren't tied to our business model. We also had to evolve and change many of the skills we had on the team. I'm very proud of the scale and impact of what the team is now accomplishing. We are hiring engineers in Austin and in fact just recently announced a new head of engineering (former employee who returned to be part of what we're building). The India Development Center is an exciting addition to the company to help us tap a global talent pool - and to think and build products globally which is in line with the fact that we serve the global IT marketplace. And I agree - traffic in Austin is getting worse. I'm glad TxDoT has a good plan to evolve 360.

"Email Marketing Associate"

4.0
    Current Employee - Email Marketing Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

The culture's a lot of fun, great coworkers.

Cons

Can't work remote, salary is pretty low for Austin Tech.

3. "Very enjoyable internship experience yay"

5.0
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Spiceworks

Pros

I went into the internship not knowing anything about web development but Spiceworks takes the time to teach you and gives you projects to improve your skills.

Cons

Only negative thing I have to say is the location. Austin is great, but it's a 20 minute commute by car at minimum from West Campus where most of the subleases are. Overall it's not a big issue.

"Keeping it Spicy"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Spiceworks is a fantastic place to work. It gave me the opportunity make my first 6 figure earnings of my career. It has a great work/life balance, sales management is very understanding of the needs of parents. I've met some of my closest friends in Austin at Spiceworks. Spiceworks, although not perfect, truly strives to maintain the culture it started with and that starts with hiring great people to be around. Even though I'm no longer with the team, I still feel like family and rooting for their success.

Cons

From a sales perspective, it can be tough at times. Especially if you rely on a core group of accounts to get you to goal and they don't meet the expected spend. It turns into an uphill battle from there. The products have some room for revamping.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Take reviews prior to 2015 with a grain of salt. It's a much different place. Free snacks, drinks and coffee may have been awesome perks a decade ago, but are now a dime a dozen in Austin. Incredibly nice people to work with.

Cons

Zero communication across teams. Simple projects take several months due to lack of communication. Lack of training for new hires. Growing attrition rate at an alarming pace. People are promoted due only to length of employment, not merit. Managers haven't received formal training, but upper management has made an effort to change this. Better late than never. Morale is incredibly low since the layoffs, and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Work flexibility is pretty much non-existent if you work outside Dev. Can't work from home or come in late. The "mandatory" Friday meetings aren't necessary. We've all been asking for them to be moved - you'd have higher turnout.

Spiceworks Response

December 21, 2016CEO & Co-founder

I'm sorry to see your views on Spiceworks have turned so negative. I'm also disappointed that I don't think we've had a chance to discuss these in person. As always, I'd welcome the chance for you to stop by or send me an email so we can get to the root of the issues here, resolve them, and get to a better outcome. I'd like to address a number of your points and what we're doing about them. We've discussed most of these at our company meetings but it always bears repeating as may not have gotten it right yet. 1) Communication across teams takes a lot of work. We've put in place OKRs, and RevOps and Product Ops are venues to surface cross-team communication. Beyond that we expect our managers to be able to talk to each other and sort this out -- if this isn't happening the only to fix it is to know about it. I don't have ESP. 2) Training for new hires varies by department, role and level within those departments so it's not fair to see "lack of training". That said, we can ALWAYS do more and do better training so it'd help to know which team you are on. 3) We've certainly had a lot of turnover and change this year. People have left for a variety of reasons. We're also hiring amazing folks who have skills and experiences aligned with where we are going and the huge opportunity in front of us. 4) Have you discussed work flexibility with your manager? We've been accommodating within reason for every situation I'm aware of. 5) The company meetings (which are usually on Friday) are in our view a necessary part of communicating across a company of our size. In 2017 we'll revisit the timing. If you have suggestions on improving the content please let me know. Regarding your last point on "begging for a change" it'd be great to know what you really mean there. We've gone through a lot of change this year as we realign to make sure we're delivering on our purpose to "connect everyone IT" for the next 10 years and beyond. The results are starting to show as we've shared our financial and operating progress in Q4. I'm seeing a lot of excitement with the IT pros we serve, the tech companies that advertise with us and many of our Spiceworkers and I'm personally very excited for 2017. I'd welcome the chance for us to talk 1:1 to see how we can help you out and get you back to the optimism you had before 2016.

6. "Internship"

Software Engineering Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks

Pros

-good company culture -good internship program including outings -good intern onboarding program -located in great part of Austin -had food trucks for lunch every day

Cons

-most of the teams not super interesting -no provided lunch; had to buy at food trucks -pay reasonable but not incredible

"Don't Be Disillusioned..."

I worked at Spiceworks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great so at least you’ll be unhappy with awesome people. They’re a few bad apples in each department, but for the most part you do work with some really awesome, fun people. Let’s be real though... that only goes so far. Intelligent, nice people can be found in many companies in Austin so don’t let that be your only criteria. Health insurance was actually fairly good compared to most companies.

Cons

First off, let me save you some time... don’t read a review from 2-4 years ago and think that it holds any weight as to what the company is today. Spiceworks was extremely different back then and many of those people have left in the past year. Now, if you love gimmicks and a faux culture, then apply right away. But if you like actually having money in your pocket, look elsewhere. I’ll never forget the day when the company announced a cereal wall would be added to the kitchen. Those who still drink the “orange kool-aid” reacted like they had just received a $5k bonus… “Hey guys, don’t worry that we don’t have 401k matching, because we have a cereal wall!” I guess it’s awesome if you eat a lot of cereal… (trust me you won’t because that thing is always empty). The office is brand new and does actually have a pretty view but the location is far from ideal (get to love 360 a lot). Mix that with the fact that there is virtually no opportunity to work from home or come in after traffic dies down (with the exception of marketing and dev, who seemingly don’t have to play by this rule), you’ll grow to hate your existence. The product isn’t very good to be honest and upper management seems confused on both how to make the product better and the direction of the company. IPO was on the horizon for a solid 2 years but that has definitely gone to the way side. Plus, there was a layoff recently, adding to the confusion on where this company is going. Vacation time is a joke. Old timers think 2 weeks is generous but anyone who is young, or just simply wants to enjoy their precious time on this earth, will grow to hate the little amount of time you get. Since Spiceworks can’t even really afford to pay as much as other companies, they should look into giving more generous time off and having a more flexible work schedule, but I don’t see that changing any time soon. Speaking of pay, a common theme seems to be that most people in any department feel underpaid. I think it’s fairly decent for a college grad but if you’re more established then don’t take a pay cut just because the culture seems “fun”. The odds of working for a bad manager are pretty high (sales and media operations seem to have the most problems). Most have no idea what they’re doing and many got the job because they just happen to have been there the longest. You’ll be frustrated with their advice and lack of knowledge, especially if you're the type that doesn’t like being micromanaged. Career growth is also a problem for many departments, something that managers don’t address very well. If you love meetings then you’ll love SW. It’s meetings galore. People always want to meet! Sometimes just to talk about an upcoming meeting. Also, there's a company wide meeting at 4:30 every Friday where people talk about what they’ve been doing all week. The meeting is intended to bring departments together with beer and wine which worked well when the company was smaller but now the company is too big for people to truly integrate/care about other departments. Once in a blue moon there will be an interesting subject, but let’s be real, we all just care that the work gets done, not an explanation on how it happened. To be honest, what company actually insists on having it’s employees stay until 5 on a Friday? You’ll be on your phone for the majority of it wishing you could leave and start your weekend. I’m sure there are some companies who don’t even focus on culture, leading many to believe that SW is the best thing to have ever happened to them. I get it, I felt special too when I was chosen after 20 seemingly endless rounds of interviews. But if you dare to even look slightly under the surface then you’ll find it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. In the end, will you survive? Sure. If you value having access to a cereal wall, a pretty view, and a cult like culture then you’ll fit right in and survive. However, if you actually want money in your pocket, career growth, freedom to work how you want, and time to travel/enjoy your life then look elsewhere.

Continue reading

"Inflated ego and lack of diversity"

I worked at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

Regular start up perks like free food and booze

Cons

The main job of everyone there is to love spiceworks. Constantly brag about how great it is. Not all the leadership is well informed, which is why it is so difficult to get things done correctly or at all. When your boss doesn't know what they are looking for and cannot explain what needs to be accomplished how are you going to know what you are doing? This didnt seem to be a problem as long as everyone was just in love with Spicerex. If they spent more time paying attention to the work and not just the brand, they probably wouldn't have had to layoff so many people. The other glaring issue is how few minorities work there and how hard it is to fit in if you are not a over privileged white person. The parking garage has tons of upscale expensive cars and almost every group of new hires is almost exclusively white. While I know this is Austin and just comes with working in tech in most cases, having a bad manager and not having much in common with coworkers makes for a tense experience.

"Titanic"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is built on a great cultural foundation and hires intelligent people. Regular Austin "startup-y" perks (snacks, gym, swag). Genuine base of end users (IT Pros) who adore the brand. Solid training, both initial and ongoing

Cons

Slow innovation for both IT and Marketing products. IT Pros usually do not use the IT products themselves, as they are not as functional as competitors. The range of marketing products is wide, but they are by and large ineffective and outdated/YEARS behind what's actually going on in the advertising/social space. Reporting on campaigns is also behind industry standard making it hard for them to compete against other media vendors. The company is anything but diverse across departments and compensation is well below market averages across all positions and departments. Management is largely untrained and has absolutely no idea what's going on from week to week, especially with all the commotion as of late. Communication across departments and teams is extremely inefficient. Hip chat. No clear path forward to profitability and quickly losing market share to competitors. They've lost a ton of key talent in the last year (both from massive layoffs and turnover) and the domino effect doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

Continue reading

"Things are changing - and not for the better"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Spiceworks

Pros

Great people A reasonable amount of free food (although that's definitely declined in volume). Hugely stocked kitchen with snacks, basics, keurigs, and drinks - it really is great. Free breakfast twice a week. Nice new office. Fully paid benefits for yourself.

Cons

Things have changed since Scott stepped away from the CEO position. With new senior management has come many obvious changes to the company and those changes are maybe not for the best. This seems to be manifesting itself in the following ways: - A lot of senior management - like been with the company since the beginning senior - have left over the last year.... - Recent mass layoffs - 12% of the entire workforce was just let go. - Much more rapid and frequent restructuring and direction changes. - Management are becoming MUCH less transparent than they used to be, although to be fair they are still much more transparent than most companies - but there is seemingly a lot more closed door shadiness that is entering what was once a hyper-transparent open door workplace. - Location is not great - 360 traffic is horrendous. - Well below market compensation. If you are looking for a booming startup tech company in Austin, Spiceworks WAS it - about 3 years ago - now I think it's time to look elsewhere for greener pastures and a company that has a business model and management team that are going to get it done.

Found 16 reviews