SocialTalent Reviews

Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great, employee focused company

Apr 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent perks and benefits Great pay Plenty of opportunities for growth

Cons

Hybrid/remote working situation may not suit everyone

3 people found this review helpful

Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback, we will take this onboard moving forward!!

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Erratic Decision-Making

Aug 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great energy in the company and leadership have great vision/strategy but I would question the tactics implemented at times.

Cons

Sometimes too quick to move from one idea to the next without fully testing it out. I would make a comparision to a football manager who selects a player for a few games, the player starts well, then goes a few games without scoring and they change, change and change again. At one stage they hired someone to assist/consult with a department and she then became embedded and was appointed CMO (Chief Marketing Officer)and most of that department left. This person talked the talk and walked the walk but she seriously lacked soft skills and people skills which (ironically) the platform itself is very big on. I was not in that department, but of course I heard of instances where she kept people in the office until 9pm, talked down to her staff a lot and was generally creating a climate of fear and almost oppression in that department. It was no surprise to me that almost the whole of that department left that company and it illustrates my larger point. The company is too in thrall at times to the latest fad or idea, anyone who comes along and is big, bold and brash will be given licence to implement sweeping changes regardless of the collateral damage caused. Sometimes change is invoked for change's sake, and for a company that specialises in hiring training they do tend to recycle a lot of staff. Things may have changed since I was there, however, I would like to think there is more loyalty and faith in employees currently, and more patience for projects/ideas to develop, and more consistency in terms of letting plans take effect before tearing everything up again. The leadership have the vision and the product but they should never be sidetracked or allow their staff to be bullied or maligned all in the name of the latest new fad or direction they arbitrarily decide to oscillate towards.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A place that allows you to tap into your true potential

Mar 14, 2022 - Senior Account Manager, Business and Personal in Dublin, Dublin
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been part of the SocialTalent journey for eight years this year, and it's been a wild journey and, for me, a 'worth its weight in gold' adventure. I wanted to write this review because I believe it's important for potential future SocialTalent employees to see that, as someone who has been here for seven-plus years, I have seen it all, I have been a part of its transformation, the ups, the downs, the exploration of purpose. So I would like to help you gain more insight into where the company you are potentially joining sits now. I have seen this company go through many transformations as we looked to find where we sat in this industry, building out our product, moulding the offering, re-structuring, re-pricing and identifying our customers. Change is hard, and it comes with its challenges, but if you're not changing, you're not innovating, and well, SocialTalent was veeery innovative for the first few years. Yes, SocialTalent made mistakes at times, but we have learned from them and used them as an opportunity to grow and mature. Now, through the pandemic and primarily through the last 2/3 years, we have found our place, and as someone who has been here for seven years, I can see we are thriving. Knowing The Direction Of The Company The leadership team has got to a place where they set and present the company's direction through OKRs every quarter and present progress on our objectives and strategies every quarter to ensure we all have visibility on where we are going across every department. The Benefits and Perks The benefits are ever-growing and are built around what we need as remote workers with Flexi working hours, budget for WFH equipment, annual 'wellness' budget and even the ability to take a 'personal day' when you need time to take a day to yourself. Knowing Your Direction In The Company We all have individual 'competency scales' across the business and proper direction and goals on how to level up. You also have visibility on what each level means for your salary range. This is reviewed every quarter. Hence, you're always cognizant of where you sit and when you're ready to level up. Creating Career Opportunities: I have moved through 4 different roles in my time in SocialTalent, an opportunity that allowed me to grow, diversify my professional portfolio and explore what really makes me flourish in work. In every role, I have felt supported, heard, and have a voice in how we can keep getting better and keep innovating. I also achieved any targets I set out to achieve and targets set out for me by the company. Culture and Teamwork: I have experienced many events with SocialTalent over the last few years. They have never wavered in the enthusiasm, effort and care put into each event. Whether it's skiing, spring break parties or even just pizza and beer, this company will keep you connected with your team and your colleagues and will always keep the SocialTalent talent social. Diversity, Inclusion and Creating A Safe Place: Lastly, we are consistently working on and striving to ensure a safe, inclusive environment for everyone in and coming into SocialTalent where people can show up, voice their options, be supported and feel secure in their job and their decision to work for a company like SocialTalent. This company will allow you to challenge yourself and support you every step of the way, and when the time comes, we'll be here to have a coffee and give an in-person / over zoom overview of the adventure you're about to embark on!

Cons

At times SocialTalent does jog before they can walk around launching new features and processes - While it keeps you on your toes, it can sometimes leave you feeling under pressure to deliver to the customer. We need some of the teams in the company to grow to allow us to keep up with the company's ambition. While SocialTalent has got to a great place when it comes to levelling up their employees, there is a bit of work to be done on identifying and handling poor performance. At times the disparity between good and poor performers can feel slightly de-motivating.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A place you can look forward to going to work each day

May 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lively, fun, energetic place to work. Great people. Great product.

Cons

None to think of right now

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee

Great People, Poor Leadership

May 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people. During my time in socialtalent, I got to work with a fantastic team with a wealth of knowledge. I made some incredible friends that I stay in touch with regularly. There are some exceptionally talented people that have worked for SocialTalent.

Cons

Transparency - You would think in a company the size of socialtalent (60 employees pre-Covid roughly) that it would be easy to communicate decisions and business affairs but it seemed to be something they struggled with. Nearly all news would come from rumours around the office and it could be weeks before they were announced to the rest of the room. The rumours often were found to start with actually members of the leadership team which was a massive trust issue for me and a few others. Figures seemed to be misrepresented in sales decks, pricing to many of us in the building was a mystery, all the way down to our engagement survey have skewed results. Micro-Managing: As an E-learning company that strives towards making people "work smarter and live happier", you would think that delivering on your targets and internal OKRs would be enough to succeed and be happy. I found, however, that socialtalent never actually rewarded mastery and quite simply wanted people to be seen to be busy at all time. To emphasise this, on numerous occasions I was stopped watching our own training videos after being asked "Is now the right time for that?". Managers (not all as there were some exceptional managers there too) would take direction from the Leadership team, deliver it to their teams and then make team members take on the project, regardless of their current workload, skillset or attitude towards the task. They would then be watched every step of the way and pressured until it was completed, and then they were often never used again. Socialtalent lost a lot of great staff during my time there for various reasons. One big one was their inability to manage remote workers, as they couldn’t SEE them working. There is also a serious skills gap in terms of the managers who are currently in charge at socialtalent. Talent Management: I once sat in on a meeting lead by the CEO Johnny who stated that "It's the people in the room that we want to keep, develop and work with, we are very happy with what we have here" to achieve our goals. Since that point they have lost nearly all the staff that were in that room. There was never training offered to me during my time there, and I'd seen training budgets being rejected for granular reasons so I was always hesitant to ask. I could be wrong on the next point and can only speak from experience but I never once saw them try to convince a staff member to stay, including a lot of big personalities and some exceptional talent. They also struggle to deal with anybody that has any personality other than a "yes-man" attitude. It seemed like regardless of talent, if you have ideas, keep them to yourself and just say yes sir and you will get a good job from it. A personal note on that point is that from the day I handed in my notice to leave, I was treated the worst I have ever been treated in any job since I was 15. I was shunned from meetings, uninvited to team activities and called a Traitor. None of the senior leadership team even wished me well or shook my hand. I always said one day I would go back to Socialtalent, but one week into my notice period that had changed for good. Team Balance: Although Socialtalent had a number of different teams and job titles, there was really only two. Sales and Sales support. There was no two ways around that! Regardless of your workload you could at any time be expected to drop everything and help the sales team. If you couldn’t, you would be questioned on why? Other teams targets were normally based around hitting sales targets which I always viewed as unfair as each team should have their own metrics. Spiffs, recognition, bonuses and salary increases seemed to be flaunted as a sales incentive, and were often very hard to come by for other departments. Progression: If you say Yes and work exactly how they tell you, If you are related in any way to the SLT, or if you were there from day one you could progress really well in ST. Other than that, there was none to speak of excluding rushed backfills to management positions. Benefits: We got health insurance and there was always food and coffee in the kitchen, Pizza and beers in the office every fourth Friday, and regular days out. Overall though, the salary itself was way lower than the market average and the main benefits of "unlimited time off" was all but non-existent. Atmosphere: Socialtalent wanted to be a grown up company and often rushed it. I bought into the dream too but just think they went about it In the wrong way. Lack of trust in any form contributed mostly to this. This on top of having people being managed and directed by people who can't challenge, guide or understand them, often made it a tough experience to turn up to the office.

18 people found this review helpful

Head of People and Culture

It’s always difficult hearing feedback which does not portray us in the most positive light, and our delayed response to this review has been because we as a management team felt the need to digest and reflect on this so we could look at how best to improve and grow stronger moving forward. At SocialTalent, we believe in trust, transparency and work ethic as our core pillars. In light of concerns around the cascading of information, we can only strive to do better and believe we are doing so. We have a very flat and open structure here, we encourage questions, feedback, discussions. Our Monday all hands meetings, daily team meetings and sharing of monthly leadership decks to all of the business are all ways in which we try to enable that transparency and collaboration which makes us who we are. We also inherently trust our staff. Busy work is not our mantra, and we value outputs and achieving success driven milestones - we recognise and commend the hard work that everyone does in the company. As a company that’s grown from 2 people right up to the amazing team we have today, we pride ourselves on the diverse backgrounds and skills of everyone in our team. We not only seek excellence in hiring from bringing in new talent, but look to create careers and support staff on their personal and professional journeys to becoming managers internally. We wouldn't change that, seeing individuals grow with us is one of the most rewarding things we have. We have no doubt about the abilities, commitment and sheer potential of all of our staff - they make us proud everyday and we would be nothing without them. We don’t write this reply to defend ourselves, we believe that every person has a right to their own opinion and we welcome feedback, because we are still learning and growing as a business and we recognise that we sometimes don’t get everything right. If the situation that we’re in right now has taught us anything - it’s the level of trust and belief we have in our staff. We’ve all adapted to the new wold of working and it’s reinforced in us how capable and amazing our team are. We believe all our teams are equal, but we will strive to do more to recognise every team and every individuals successes - because we know how important this is. As a growing team, we unfortunately do have the challenge of sometimes not being able to provide the progression opportunities that all of our team strive for. This is an unfortunate reality. As sad as it is to see staff leave, we’re also very proud of them, and hope that we will cross paths again in the future. This feedback has really helped us unite as a leadership team and recognise again what is truly important to us. Although difficult to hear, as we want every staff member of SocialTalent, past and present to feel like we supported them in everyday we could, we will grow from this and become stronger.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Seriously lacking leadership across the board

May 1, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- For the most part, I worked with some great people in my team and in some other teams - Opportunity to work with some fantastic global brands

Cons

- Hiring ability - A company that supposedly aims to make other companies better at hiring but is disastrous at it themselves. Poorly written job ads, poorly structured interviews, and lack of support during onboarding are just the start of it. - Diversity - The company put themselves forward as thought leaders around diversity and offer training to other companies on the subject but make no effort themselves to have a diverse workforce or even a diverse candidate slate. They also seem unwilling to accept differing opinions and are run completely top-down - Moral Compass - Their ICP (Ideal Candidate Profile) is clearly anyone who will spend money with them. Happily take money of arms dealers and tobacco companies, which as far as aligning with my values, was way off. - Flexibility - Again sell themselves as flexible employers by offering "unlimited" paid leave and capability to work from home, but in reality, there is a massive lack of trust with any of this. They have also let quality talent leave the company as they were unwilling to offer remote working. - Micro-management - Complete micro-management and - No quality strategic leaders - All leaders in the organisation are in their role due to their long tenure with the company. They have failed to bring in any external leaders with experience leading companies and teams through successful growth. Middle management mostly promoted from within with no management experience. - Shunned once I handed in my notice - Worked my notice from home due to COVID-19, and was shut out of all company and team meetings, dealings for my last 2 weeks. The odd message from my manager asking how my day was. No attempt to look after my mental well-being in a truly stressful time. - Sales driven and neglect other teams - The whole company is there to supplement sales. As a result, there is a lack of resources in other much-needed parts of the business. - Nepotism - Family and friends of owners seemingly untouchable despite clear underperformance and blatant ignorance to rules and processes

13 people found this review helpful

Head of People and Culture

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent place to work - great people and vision

Dec 9, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Kilmainham
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at SocialTalent for just under 2 years and really enjoyed my time there. They moved to their wonderful new offices during my time there and and definitely have serious plans for the future. There is a whole bunch of perks associated with working there from yoga to scooters to table-tennis to free lunches to Christmas parties abroad. But a lot of companies promise that stuff and it doesn't matter a damn unless the culture is right. And on that front SocialTalent possesses the most vital asset of all - great people. From the top down they are approachable, warm and a pleasure to work with. I'll certainly miss them.

Cons

Office move meant my commute was a little longer and occasionally the speed of change there means you have to be on your toes but that's part and parcel of a dynamic and ambitious working environment. It's an exciting place to work but if you don't want to be challenged and want the same safe work routines everyday then maybe try the public service.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Finally a job I enjoy!

May 2, 2018 - Sales in Dublin, Dublin
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with a fantastic product. Management has a clear vision of where they’re going and work hard to achieve that while motivating staff.

Cons

A lot of changes due to quick growth which often causes miscommunication between different departments. Overall more positives than negatives!

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great culture, open fun and inclusive

Mar 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really welcoming, fun company culture. The company values its employees and shows it. All staff are kept informed about company decisions and strategy at Monday meetings. Every employee has a voice and the opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

A lot of change - although that might not be a con for some people

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Customer service

Jan 31, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
    Business Outlook

Pros

So I worked there last year for a couple of months but it wasn't really for me, people seemed nice but especially Joe who made me feel so welcome and introduced me to a lot of lovely people.

Cons

Not enough internal company structure

Be the first to find this review helpful