SocialTalent Reviews

Updated 6 May 2020

SocialTalent CEO Jonathan Campbell
Jonathan Campbell
  1. "A place you can look forward to going to work each day"

I have been working at SocialTalent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lively, fun, energetic place to work. Great people. Great product.

Cons

None to think of right now

2. COVID-19

"Great People, Poor Leadership"

1.0

I worked at SocialTalent full-time

Pros

The people. During my time in socialtalent, I got to work with a fantastic team with a wealth of knowledge. I made some incredible friends that I stay in touch with regularly. There are some exceptionally talented people that have worked for SocialTalent.

Cons

Transparency - You would think in a company the size of socialtalent (60 employees pre-Covid roughly) that it would be easy to communicate decisions and business affairs but it seemed to be something they struggled with. Nearly all news would come from rumours around the office and it could be weeks before they were announced to the rest of the room. The rumours often were found to start with actually members of the leadership team which was a massive trust issue for me and a few others. Figures seemed to be misrepresented in sales decks, pricing to many of us in the building was a mystery, all the way down to our engagement survey have skewed results. Micro-Managing: As an E-learning company that strives towards making people "work smarter and live happier", you would think that delivering on your targets and internal OKRs would be enough to succeed and be happy. I found, however, that socialtalent never actually rewarded mastery and quite simply wanted people to be seen to be busy at all time. To emphasise this, on numerous occasions I was stopped watching our own training videos after being asked "Is now the right time for that?". Managers (not all as there were some exceptional managers there too) would take direction from the Leadership team, deliver it to their teams and then make team members take on the project, regardless of their current workload, skillset or attitude towards the task. They would then be watched every step of the way and pressured until it was completed, and then they were often never used again. Socialtalent lost a lot of great staff during my time there for various reasons. One big one was their inability to manage remote workers, as they couldn’t SEE them working. There is also a serious skills gap in terms of the managers who are currently in charge at socialtalent. Talent Management: I once sat in on a meeting lead by the CEO Johnny who stated that "It's the people in the room that we want to keep, develop and work with, we are very happy with what we have here" to achieve our goals. Since that point they have lost nearly all the staff that were in that room. There was never training offered to me during my time there, and I'd seen training budgets being rejected for granular reasons so I was always hesitant to ask. I could be wrong on the next point and can only speak from experience but I never once saw them try to convince a staff member to stay, including a lot of big personalities and some exceptional talent. They also struggle to deal with anybody that has any personality other than a "yes-man" attitude. It seemed like regardless of talent, if you have ideas, keep them to yourself and just say yes sir and you will get a good job from it. A personal note on that point is that from the day I handed in my notice to leave, I was treated the worst I have ever been treated in any job since I was 15. I was shunned from meetings, uninvited to team activities and called a Traitor. None of the senior leadership team even wished me well or shook my hand. I always said one day I would go back to Socialtalent, but one week into my notice period that had changed for good. Team Balance: Although Socialtalent had a number of different teams and job titles, there was really only two. Sales and Sales support. There was no two ways around that! Regardless of your workload you could at any time be expected to drop everything and help the sales team. If you couldn’t, you would be questioned on why? Other teams targets were normally based around hitting sales targets which I always viewed as unfair as each team should have their own metrics. Spiffs, recognition, bonuses and salary increases seemed to be flaunted as a sales incentive, and were often very hard to come by for other departments. Progression: If you say Yes and work exactly how they tell you, If you are related in any way to the SLT, or if you were there from day one you could progress really well in ST. Other than that, there was none to speak of excluding rushed backfills to management positions. Benefits: We got health insurance and there was always food and coffee in the kitchen, Pizza and beers in the office every fourth Friday, and regular days out. Overall though, the salary itself was way lower than the market average and the main benefits of "unlimited time off" was all but non-existent. Atmosphere: Socialtalent wanted to be a grown up company and often rushed it. I bought into the dream too but just think they went about it In the wrong way. Lack of trust in any form contributed mostly to this. This on top of having people being managed and directed by people who can't challenge, guide or understand them, often made it a tough experience to turn up to the office.

May 15, 2020Head of People and Culture

It’s always difficult hearing feedback which does not portray us in the most positive light, and our delayed response to this review has been because we as a management team felt the need to digest and reflect on this so we could look at how best to improve and grow stronger moving forward. At SocialTalent, we believe in trust, transparency and work ethic as our core pillars. In light of concerns around the cascading of information, we can only strive to do better and believe we are doing so. We have a very flat and open structure here, we encourage questions, feedback, discussions. Our Monday all hands meetings, daily team meetings and sharing of monthly leadership decks to all of the business are all ways in which we try to enable that transparency and collaboration which makes us who we are. We also inherently trust our staff. Busy work is not our mantra, and we value outputs and achieving success driven milestones - we recognise and commend the hard work that everyone does in the company. As a company that’s grown from 2 people right up to the amazing team we have today, we pride ourselves on the diverse backgrounds and skills of everyone in our team. We not only seek excellence in hiring from bringing in new talent, but look to create careers and support staff on their personal and professional journeys to becoming managers internally. We wouldn't change that, seeing individuals grow with us is one of the most rewarding things we have. We have no doubt about the abilities, commitment and sheer potential of all of our staff - they make us proud everyday and we would be nothing without them. We don’t write this reply to defend ourselves, we believe that every person has a right to their own opinion and we welcome feedback, because we are still learning and growing as a business and we recognise that we sometimes don’t get everything right. If the situation that we’re in right now has taught us anything - it’s the level of trust and belief we have in our staff. We’ve all adapted to the new wold of working and it’s reinforced in us how capable and amazing our team are. We believe all our teams are equal, but we will strive to do more to recognise every team and every individuals successes - because we know how important this is. As a growing team, we unfortunately do have the challenge of sometimes not being able to provide the progression opportunities that all of our team strive for. This is an unfortunate reality. As sad as it is to see staff leave, we’re also very proud of them, and hope that we will cross paths again in the future. This feedback has really helped us unite as a leadership team and recognise again what is truly important to us. Although difficult to hear, as we want every staff member of SocialTalent, past and present to feel like we supported them in everyday we could, we will grow from this and become stronger.

3. COVID-19

"Seriously lacking leadership across the board"

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SocialTalent full-time for more than a year

Pros

- For the most part, I worked with some great people in my team and in some other teams - Opportunity to work with some fantastic global brands

Cons

- Hiring ability - A company that supposedly aims to make other companies better at hiring but is disastrous at it themselves. Poorly written job ads, poorly structured interviews, and lack of support during onboarding are just the start of it. - Diversity - The company put themselves forward as thought leaders around diversity and offer training to other companies on the subject but make no effort themselves to have a diverse workforce or even a diverse candidate slate. They also seem unwilling to accept differing opinions and are run completely top-down - Moral Compass - Their ICP (Ideal Candidate Profile) is clearly anyone who will spend money with them. Happily take money of arms dealers and tobacco companies, which as far as aligning with my values, was way off. - Flexibility - Again sell themselves as flexible employers by offering "unlimited" paid leave and capability to work from home, but in reality, there is a massive lack of trust with any of this. They have also let quality talent leave the company as they were unwilling to offer remote working. - Micro-management - Complete micro-management and - No quality strategic leaders - All leaders in the organisation are in their role due to their long tenure with the company. They have failed to bring in any external leaders with experience leading companies and teams through successful growth. Middle management mostly promoted from within with no management experience. - Shunned once I handed in my notice - Worked my notice from home due to COVID-19, and was shut out of all company and team meetings, dealings for my last 2 weeks. The odd message from my manager asking how my day was. No attempt to look after my mental well-being in a truly stressful time. - Sales driven and neglect other teams - The whole company is there to supplement sales. As a result, there is a lack of resources in other much-needed parts of the business. - Nepotism - Family and friends of owners seemingly untouchable despite clear underperformance and blatant ignorance to rules and processes

May 15, 2020Head of People and Culture

"Excellent place to work - great people and vision"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kilmainham

I worked at SocialTalent full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at SocialTalent for just under 2 years and really enjoyed my time there. They moved to their wonderful new offices during my time there and and definitely have serious plans for the future. There is a whole bunch of perks associated with working there from yoga to scooters to table-tennis to free lunches to Christmas parties abroad. But a lot of companies promise that stuff and it doesn't matter a damn unless the culture is right. And on that front SocialTalent possesses the most vital asset of all - great people. From the top down they are approachable, warm and a pleasure to work with. I'll certainly miss them.

Cons

Office move meant my commute was a little longer and occasionally the speed of change there means you have to be on your toes but that's part and parcel of a dynamic and ambitious working environment. It's an exciting place to work but if you don't want to be challenged and want the same safe work routines everyday then maybe try the public service.

Continue reading
  5. "Finally a job I enjoy!"

Current Employee - Sales in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at SocialTalent full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company with a fantastic product. Management has a clear vision of where they’re going and work hard to achieve that while motivating staff.

Cons

A lot of changes due to quick growth which often causes miscommunication between different departments. Overall more positives than negatives!

6. "Great culture, open fun and inclusive"

I have been working at SocialTalent full-time

Pros

Really welcoming, fun company culture. The company values its employees and shows it. All staff are kept informed about company decisions and strategy at Monday meetings. Every employee has a voice and the opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

A lot of change - although that might not be a con for some people

7. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at SocialTalent part-time for more than a year

Pros

So I worked there last year for a couple of months but it wasn't really for me, people seemed nice but especially Joe who made me feel so welcome and introduced me to a lot of lovely people.

Cons

Not enough internal company structure

8. "Great experience"

I worked at SocialTalent full-time

Pros

I joined when the team was still relatively small so got to contribute in multiple areas. It's a very do it yourself environment, and you have freedom to contribute and work on your own ideas in a flexible and relaxed environment. The team are great craic! Management is not afraid to try new things and have aggressive growth plans

Cons

There are growing pains moving from startup to scale up especially while self-funded. Structures and policies took a long time to put in place. Targets are unrealistic and constantly rising. The business is likely to change direction, strategies and teams at any point.

Continue reading

"Needs a grown up to come in and steer the ship"

2.0
    Account Executive in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at SocialTalent for more than a year

Pros

Free Lunch Some very good staff Interesting product

Cons

No solid direction Odd culture Keep changing compay direction Muddled marketing message Constantly make promises and then don't deliver Managers bad mouthing the company to staff

May 4, 2017Head of People and Culture

Change is definitely difficult. At Social Talent, we're going through (and have been for the past year) a period of hyper growth as a company both in terms of revenue and team expansion. With growth comes challenges and we acknowledge that we frequently have to change direction, redevelop our strategy and be responsive to the market to make sure we can continue on the trajectory that we've set ourselves. This constant change isn’t for everyone, and as much as we hate to see people leaving, we want people to work within an environment which suits them and allows them to flourish. We've worked hard recently on creating a culture of transparency, collaboration, and most importantly - a fun engaging environment where people can develop and grow within their personal and professional life. Have we got it all right? Not yet - but that’s the excitement of being in a start up environment. Every person who has worked in Social Talent has left their mark and we learn something new from every persons experience with us. We’ll take these comments on board and work on continuing to be a great place to work.

10. "Challenging but Rewarding"

I have been working at SocialTalent full-time

Pros

Great Atmosphere and Culture; Excellent People, smart, ambitious

Cons

Office is a bit tricky to get to...

Found 19 reviews