Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 15 Oct 2019

3.7
Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company CEO Bob Pryor (no image)
Bob Pryor
Pros
Cons
  • "No cons that i ever experienced(in 5 reviews)

• "Inconsistent raises across the board have led to frustration of some really great people(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "NTT Data, Noida"

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time

Pros

Work life balance Great chances of growing internally

Cons

Poor in wage revision 10 hrs shift is too much

2. "Software engineer senior associate"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company

Pros

Good Work life balance in company

Cons

No carer growth or hike.

October 10, 2019HR Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback as a contractor at Sierra. We do not provide career programs for independent contractors but resources are definitely available to employees. They can be accessed via our Intranet.

3. "Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sierra really cares about their people, and demonstrates integrity both internally and externally in all that they do. Great work life balance has been a huge asset.

Cons

Inconsistent raises across the board have led to frustration of some really great people. Lack of sponsored/focused training opportunities besides self-directed via online learning portal.

November 8, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Integrity is one of our four core values at Sierra. Our core values are a part of what we do each and every day. We support work life balance by providing flexible work arrangements to our employees across our offices. We conduct comprehensive compensation reviews annually. Our guiding principles are consistently applied year over year and includes factors like performance, external market and internal equity. We have invested in our training and development offerings over the last two years and we see training hours continue to increase. We continue to explore learning opportunities with the business and subject matter experts. We understand different markets may have different needs. I recommend reaching out to your Resource Manager or Career Advisor to start this conversation if you have identified an opportunity that would enhance Sierra's capabilities.

"Great place to build a career, and awesome people to work with"

5.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best part about Sierra, hands down, is the people. They're 95% really smart, driven people who are awesome at what they do. The 5% that doesn't fit that often doesn't stick around. Being able to rely on the people you work with to do what they need to do makes the day-to-day so much better. Also, I really get the sense that the senior leadership cares about the people and what they're doing. Sierra is very flexible when it comes to work-life balance, and that's extremely important to me. Plus their Career Adviser program is a huge boon to anyone wanting a career versus a job.

Cons

It can take a while for changes to happen, especially when rising through the ranks. Sierra has a culture of "if you want a promotion, do the work you want to be promoted into, then if it works out we'll give you the promotion", which can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but I can understand. Sometimes the only way to get the pay you're worth is to leave and re-join the company.

December 15, 2017HR Analyst

We cannot agree more about how great our people are! Teamwork is one of our core values and Sierrans really do bring that to life everyday and in all they do. We take a lot of pride in our Career Advisor/Career Owner program. While we are in charge of our own careers, it certainly helps to have guidance and support along the way. Each year, we recognize the most outstanding Career Advisor at Sierra with our very own Sequoia Award. Our annual compensation reviews are done with great diligence and many parties are involved in the decision making process to ensure pay increases are fair across the company. Many factors are considered including performance, market pay, internal equity and more. If the market value of a job has increased over time, rejoining a company later could mean a higher salary but not always.  We really leverage our employee feedback tools when we are strategizing for a new year. Our programs, practices and policies always evolve to better fit our employees’ needs. Often times, one area could be the root cause of other areas underperforming. Our efforts are directed at the root cause of the problem(s) to most effectively resolve them. We do appreciate feedback from employees on our progress!

"consultant"

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time

Pros

great culture. great benefit. great work/life balance.

Cons

lack of communication. can feel isolated at times.

December 15, 2017HR Analyst

We are glad the flexible work arrangements we offer meets your needs! With a remote workforce, communication can be a little more difficult. We recognized that communication styles are not one size fits all so we’ve increased our communication channels this past year to help foster better communication between teams and Sierrans. That hasn’t gone unnoticed. In our last employee survey, 84% of over 400 respondents felt they receive just enough communication.

6. "Very Good"

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time

Pros

Good opportunities to work with various technologies Work Life balance is fair

Cons

yearly increments are not great

December 15, 2017HR Analyst

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoy the work you do in addition to our flexible work arrangements. Our compensation reviews each year are done with great diligence and many parties are involved in the decision making process to ensure pay increases are fair across the company. Many factors are considered including performance, market pay, internal equity and more. Our total rewards package also includes more than base pay, stay tuned for your Total Compensation Statements in early 2018!

7. "Great place to work"

4.0

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is the right size to be able to tackle larger, interesting projects, but not so big that you can't pick up the phone and connect with someone on another project. Senior leadership team members routinely visit the various offices and know the employees. Plenty of chances to meet with colleagues at meetings and office events. Pay is good, and there is access to flexible/reduced work hours. There is a consideration of people's need for work/life balance that I appreciate.

Cons

The benefits (except for the RRSP match) are only average compared to other places I've worked. There seems to be a lack of access to different varieties of projects.

Continue reading
  8. "Senior Recruiter/Resource Manager"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior IT Recruiter/Resource Manager/Account Manager in Calgary, AB

Pros

Excellent Culture, great people, good work life balance.

Cons

No room for advancement in my field. (Resource Management)

"Good, not Great"

Current Employee - Principal in Victoria, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Sierra is a good company with lots of interesting work. I get the impression that the people actually care about you as a person and try to maintain a reasonable work-life balance for people. Opportunities for career growth.

Cons

You really need to fight for signficant changes in compensation. The company policy seems to be wait until they quit and see if they can do anything to make you stay. Most of the time the answer is rightfully - no. Also compensation for middle management is totally messed up. They aren't eligible or incented to go on the hourly models because they have a non-billable component to their job duties. As a result the people under them are often making more than they are!

July 16, 2015HR Analyst

Thank you for your feedback, it is great to hear from colleagues as it gives us an opportunity to adjust where necessary and have a positive impact on people’s careers! In our hiring process, cultural fit is very important to us which is one of the reasons why being at work is like being with family. We understand that in order for our employees to be engaged we need to support what they do outside of work. This is one of the reasons why we promote flexible work options such as working remotely and reduced work weeks. We are always looking for ways to help employees cultivate their growth both personally and professionally. To ensure we have a fair compensation model, we participate in annual salary surveys that allow us to compare our compensation structure with competing firms. That is only one component of determining compensation. Ultimately, compensation is based on multiple factors such as industry experience, performance and domain expertise to name a few. It is also designed to respond to trends in Sierra’s growth and profitability. We strive to recognize our people in different role types with appropriate compensation models. We appreciate that anomalies can crop up with any payment model and we adjust where we can to provide incentives that are meaningful and achievable to all staff.

10. "Work/life balance encouraged!"

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, work/life balance is encouraged, team driven and there is always an incredible show of support for staff experiencing a trying time.

Cons

Not much room for growth within the company.

Found 13 reviews