Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated 16 Jun 2020

3.7
Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company CEO Bob Pryor (no image)
Bob Pryor
Pros
Cons
  • "No cons that i ever experienced(in 5 reviews)

• "Inconsistent raises across the board have led to frustration of some really great people(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Poorly managed transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people; benefits and salary are good

Cons

Poor coordination and bad transition of acquisition

Continue reading
  2. "Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sierra really cares about their people, and demonstrates integrity both internally and externally in all that they do. Great work life balance has been a huge asset.

Cons

Inconsistent raises across the board have led to frustration of some really great people. Lack of sponsored/focused training opportunities besides self-directed via online learning portal.

November 8, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Integrity is one of our four core values at Sierra. Our core values are a part of what we do each and every day. We support work life balance by providing flexible work arrangements to our employees across our offices. We conduct comprehensive compensation reviews annually. Our guiding principles are consistently applied year over year and includes factors like performance, external market and internal equity. We have invested in our training and development offerings over the last two years and we see training hours continue to increase. We continue to explore learning opportunities with the business and subject matter experts. We understand different markets may have different needs. I recommend reaching out to your Resource Manager or Career Advisor to start this conversation if you have identified an opportunity that would enhance Sierra's capabilities.

"VC giving it a slow death"

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Still lots of great people who genuinely care about the clients, are very skilled and do great work. Great place to make friends and have fun doing it.

Cons

Unfortunately suffering a slow death, once 1200 staff and a great family team culture, it's now down to under 500. the VC owners who are sucking the value out of Canada into the US entity. They used to be able to invest in people development and do events to keep people engaged but budgets have been crushed and that's had a big effect on culture. Canadian management really doesn't have much control over success anymore... Teams are working hard to build it back but it's an uphill with a US based Ceo who's absent and a VC who's draining Canada to build the US. There are also a lot of glass ceilings and glass walls to break down. Advancement is challenging

December 15, 2017HR Analyst

Having been around for over 50 years (which is huge for an IT consulting firm!), there has been a number of changes. With that said, we acknowledge that change is hard on everyone (it really is!) but “change is also the only constant in life”. So instead of resisting change, our best efforts are geared towards facilitating this change so that it minimizes the impact on employees. This past fiscal year, we increased our training budget and found new ways to maximize the dollars when it came to developing our people. We encourage employees to come into our offices for Quarterly Market Meetings (followed by refreshments and networking) in addition to other initiatives like United Way Campaigns, Christmas Parties, Lunch and Learns, and so on. Due to the nature of consulting and the flexible work arrangements we offer, we don’t always get the turnout we hope for but we still try! Regardless of budget constraints, we have continued to promote and move people into new roles each year. We have also developed an internal Leadership Development Program that provides in-person and webinar training to participants across our nine offices in Canada.

"A pale shadow of its former self"

2.0

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time

Pros

- Great people to work with - Challenging projects in classic IT space (this is not the company for you if you are 20 and looking for exciting new things to learn)

Cons

-It used to be family owned. Now owned by leverage buyout specialist from the states only interested in cost cutting. - no real growth, the company has been on decline for the past decade with constant decline in headcount with the last 3 years being particularly bad. - no real vision or plan; no focus in any technology or business space. - constant decline in benefits

February 21, 2018HR Analyst

We are surrounded by great talent at Sierra and we see that being recognized everyday in our company-wide recognition feed. As with all services firms, there is a mix of different types of project work based on what client needs are. We have done some really exciting work with clients - our webinars do an excellent job of showcasing some of them: https://www.sierrasystems.com/webinars-2/ In terms of benefits, Sierra covers the majority of annual benefit costs for employees. We cover 100% of the premium cost for various insurance and disability plans, in addition to premiums for applicable provincial health plans. Our cafeteria-style benefits program provides great flexibility and coverage for employees of all ages. Our benefit cost sharing model with our employees can vary year to year based on employee needs and plan experience. As the costs for our flexible Extended Health plan continues to increase, we have increased our portion of the costs to ensure the cost-sharing model remains the same for Extended Health and Dental coverage year over year. Our benefits package goes beyond extended health and dental. We believe employee well-being is made up of many components and as such, we provide free access to an Employee and Family Assistance Program and we also provide a competitive employer match on Group RRSP contributions. Our Total Rewards package goes beyond these offerings. Information is made available and accessible to all employees.

"Avoid this place"

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company for more than 5 years

Pros

Some friendly staff and coworkers make the daily Crap easier to deal with. Not much else good to say. Don't be fooled into thinking you'll go anywhere with this company or that they care at all about you.

Cons

Management is a popularity contest with great people being let go and vile slime balls being promoted. No real direction. Terrible compensation. Do not care about their people.

Continue reading
  6. "Senior Recruiter/Resource Manager"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior IT Recruiter/Resource Manager/Account Manager in Calgary, AB

Pros

Excellent Culture, great people, good work life balance.

Cons

No room for advancement in my field. (Resource Management)

"long, slow evolution and decay"

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time

Pros

Been here a long time and it's people, people, people! How many companies can say they have staff who have worked there for over 35 years... The knowledge and expertise of the people at Sierra is top notch. If you have a good project and working with a good team you've got a good overall experience. Across the company there are some fantastic people, incredible skills and we get some really great projects. Pay is pretty good and the benefits are excellent. The services and solutions that we have to offer clients is fantastic and the cross teaming that happens between SI, MC and AMS is great and provides a lot of value to the clients as much as it does the team members. Sierra has never made large cuts like our competitors, they do this as infrequently as possible, but it's always a whisper in the hallway. There are career opportunities. The people make the company! Great business outlook for the years to come and lots of great prospects. A great place to gain experience from some very skilled people.

Cons

The past COO and CEO were horrible, thankfully they only lasted a short time. The current CEO started out doing great things, using technology to improve the business, cutting in areas that made sense and a lot of great talk about evolving the rest of the business... but being a venture capital owned company that 'evolution' is never funded. Internal technology is always a bench project so while we do amazing things for customers, our internal technology is dismal, never any funding to buy new hardware or implement solutions, even when it will improve staff efficiency (insert shoe maker analogy) They won't hire sales or account managers yet complain that sales are down. We very rarely hire junior consultants and this is a big mistake as it means that we have no one to train up the chain and no junior staff to help reduce project costs to clients. This is also a client issue as they always want the most senior consultants on projects. Career opportunities only come if you are willing to spend 80% billable and sell %60 (like many in our space, work well over full-time and you get career opportunity) We're being run more and more like a US company and that's definitely affecting culture. Talk is always on bottom line and profit and constantly gives the feeling that we're for sale. Reality is that we're owned by a VC so we're always for sale. The issue is that internal consultants are being treated more and more like contractors because that's the model they use in the US, staff who buy their own technology and are responsible for their own training. We have a new CFO from the US who clearly wants to make his mark and started with more cuts but cuts without understanding an organization doesn't make sense. That great business outlook comes at a cost and we've lost a lot of great people over the years because of the internal penny pinching approach which restricts a lot of opportunity. We've lost a lot of the fun culture we had for so many years. Now it's robotic.

Continue reading
  8. "Great IT consulting company with specialized industry knowledge in Health and Justice."

Principal Technology Consultant in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company

Pros

Great people to work with Training Support with issues outside of work ( health, life circumstances) Always looking to do better Variable compensation plan

Cons

Extra time is not allowed to be banked.

April 29, 2015HR Analyst

Thank you for sharing your experience at Sierra Systems! In order to help our employees move forward in their careers we as an organization must continue to move forward and to do so, we are continuously looking at different tools and resources we can provide to our employees. We are happy to see that you are receiving the training you find valuable to your growth. Our variable compensation plans are meant to reward employees for their performance and the time they put towards a project. If an employee is planning an extended vacation or would like some time off, vacation may be rolled over year-on-year. We also have a flexible voluntary leave program to help support a strong work-life balance.

"Introduction to the company was wonderful but with a bully as a leader it was a horror story"

Former Employee - Director Level in Edmonton, AB
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoyed the local teams that I worked with. The Western Canadian teams Edmonton, Winnipeg, teams are wonderful.

Cons

Company knew my leader was a bully and they did nothing about it. The HR department didn't action and a senior member the HR team moved on as a result of not being able to effect change. It was difficult to hire people into the organization and then fire them as soon as they hit the bench. The integration after the acquisition of RIS was badly handled and some great people were forced out of the organization.

Continue reading
  10. "It depends on what you are looking for"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart great people to work with. If you are a seasoned professional that likes travel and doesn't need to learn new skills good place to make money if you are working full-time hours and you don't need to look for clients like you would if you were an independant. If you are want to learn and develop your career, hard to move from project to project so best to work for another firm (out of consulting) where you can grow, get mentoring/support and likely overall work on more interesting projects.

Cons

Not enough communication when one project ends and another begins which leaves people wondering and have seen many skilled people leave. Somewhat disorganized and org structure is odd. Some projects less than interesting work. Organization has been in significant change mode 2+ years with way too many good people leaving. Too many changes, benefits/perks taken away and not enough communication. Employee engagement/retention is not a focus; not the top employer it once was. Sr Mgt rating includes VPs, Unit/business line GMs.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews