Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated 26 Mar 2020

4.3
Shell Energy Retail CEO Colin Crooks
Colin Crooks
Pros
  • "Good benefits, regular feedback from managers, good working environment(in 19 reviews)

• "Their agile working environment allows for flexible working when required and is encouraged(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great working environment. - Great Team - Great support from the business during this time

Cons

Miss my Team whilst current situation ongoing

April 2, 2020Chief People Officer

Many thanks for your five star review. We are all working in uncharted territory at the moment so it's great that you feel so supported by your team and everyone. Working from home can be isolating and it's easy to underestimate the importance of maintaining social contact. I encourage everyone to make use of our remote communication facilities - chat, video conferencing to stay in contact with your team on a regular basis. Although key for continuing with the business, these are equally important in providing emotional support. I am thrilled by the resilience shown by everyone in adapting to new ways of working and would like to reassure you of the continued support of Shell Energy so we can come through these challenging times stronger than ever. Great to have you with us. John.

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - Digital Service Advisor in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, regular feedback from managers, good working environment

Cons

Harder to progress at this place

April 2, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post such a great review. We have made a number of improvements to our benefits proposition and will continue to review these to ensure we are delivering on what provides most value to our colleagues. It's great that you are receiving regular feedback from your manager. You mention that you are finding progression difficult. I would encourage you to ensure that your sessions with your manager don't just focus on current deliveries but on your career aspirations too - we are developing more ways to help our colleagues learn new skills and to progress to new roles. Please do investigate our Development Portal which is home to a wealth of resource to consolidate and build your skillset. I hope you have a long and successful career with us, John.

3. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Performance Analyst

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Their agile working environment allows for flexible working when required and is encouraged. Benefits package is fairly comprehensive and is always expanding.

Cons

The Coventry location is nearby to a university campus which can make rush hour traffic worse than usual.

April 2, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for your 5-star review I’m delighted you are experiencing the benefits of our flexible, agile working environment. Rush hour is never fun, but where possible we work hard to provide the flexibility to work remotely or stagger start and finish times to avoid the worst of the peaks. We want to enable our colleagues to enjoy a work / life balance that works for them and the company and the journey to work is all part of this. I’m glad you mentioned our benefits package. As you highlight, this has developed over the last couple of years and we've recently announced improvements to both our pension and bonus propositions which have been very well received. Thanks for your continuing contribution to our success - thank you. John

4. "Excellent working environment without pressure"

Former Intern - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Shell Energy Retail for less than a year

Pros

Excellent working environment without pressure

Cons

I really didn't find any cons working here

5. "Ok"

Current Employee - Credit Specialist

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

Working environment, door to door service

Cons

Shifting, politics, shared service so far from stakeholders

December 18, 2019

Thanks for posting a positive review. I am pleased to see that you are enjoying your working environment. Your review suggests that you have encountered some shared service issues. I would need to understand more detail of your experience in order to get the full picture to inform the best approach to these. I'd welcome a conversation in confidence if you would like to drop me an email. We can then arrange a time to discuss. Thanks, John.

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Contractor - Risk Specialist in Durban

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail for more than a year

Pros

1. Competitive salary 2. Conducive working environment 3. Great staff

Cons

High labour turnover Immediate resignation so

Continue reading
  7. "First Utility - Great Place to work"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very engaging and always have the best interests at heart for all employees. Very flexible working environment and great team spirit.

Cons

Can sometimes get very hectic with little time to reflect.

February 14, 2019Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review, especially your feedback that we always have the best interests of all employees at heart - having been with us for more than 5 years you'll have experienced the great many changes and strides of progress we've made. None of that would be possible without all of our inspirational colleagues. You may have heard Colin our CEO comment on the 'buzz' he felt from speaking to colleagues from across the business on his first day with us. That level of engagement, support and 'team spirit' as you say, is really fantastic and I'm glad you've noticed it too throughout your time here! You're right (and I agree) it can sometimes get very hectic, especially given our pace and the rate of change to enable us to reach our ambitions. We're definitely encouraging a culture of continuous improvement to help us along the way and that goes for our working practices as well. Many of our colleagues already take advantage of our agile working approach, working from home when they can or finding collaborative or quieter spaces away from their desks. Last year we introduced a wellbeing section within our reward platform, where you can find hints and tips on topics from mindfulness to healthy eating. As we continue to evolve, it's important that our working practices evolve with us, so we can continue to ensure we have everyone's best interests at heart. Thanks again for your feedback and your continued contribution to our success!

8. "The Life At First Utility"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Advisor Home Movers in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great atmosphere - Friendly, approachable working environment - So much opportunity to develop and gain experience in multiple areas whether that be Sales, Customer Service, Billing, Test Analysis, Business Analysis, Product. Myself personally receive so much opportunity to develop my skills purely from showing willingness to learn and the capability of the ability I possess. - Great Channel Manager and Team Manager support - Great to build communication and networking skills. - Overall a fab company to work for.

Cons

- Staff tariff could still do with some improvements. - Whilst opportunity comes in great amounts. Interview prep is not. Helping individuals face the interview environment would be a great help. I have a an extensive PDP but due to having OCD, fail at the interview stage due to not being able to articulate myself in the false environment.

April 12, 2018Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your comment with us, I really appreciate it. We want everyone to succeed at First Utility and have a really wide range and growing number of opportunities to offer. I am sure we can help you secure the role you're looking for - if you message me or talk with our Head of Talent I am sure we can help bring your dreams to life.

9. "Great company with great people"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

High paced, modern working environment with some excellent leaders. Internal development of colleagues is high on the agenda with a culture of looking out for the customer and each other. Also a Tech led business, which makes you feel like you work for more than just an average energy company. Firstperks allows colleagues to save money on everything from Christmas shopping to the next holiday away, 25 days holiday and competitive salaries.

Cons

Pension/Paternity/Maternity meets minimum statutory requirement

January 23, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention our excellent leadership and the importance we place on internal development. We certainly wouldn't be where we are today without the people that make our business. I love your choice of words that we have a culture of looking out for the customer and for each other! Fantastic statement, thank you! We will be adding to our benefits package this year and keep an eye out for some policy updates soon to be shared. Thanks again, Ellen.

10. "Innovative and Entrepreneurial"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, accessible leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, no blame culture, nice working environment, can do and get things done attitude, feel valued as a member of staff, innovative and technology led, willing to take risks, customer focused

Cons

multi site location (soon being fixed!)

November 20, 2017Chief People Officer

Thanks very much for the fantastic feedback! Our entrepreneurial spirit is definitely part of our DNA and our, "get things done and can do attitude", you mention certainly is part of the foundation of our culture, which helps given how quickly we're evolving together! It's so important for our colleagues to feel that they are welcome to share their ideas, so that we can listen and adapt where we can. We value feedback because our colleagues are our business and we're on this journey together. Part of being innovative and tech-led is being brave enough to take the risks you mentioned and being outside a comfort zone is often where the magic happens! We're definitely looking forward to everyone coming together in our Coventry office - a great opportunity to enhance communication and culture. We recently appointed an Enterprise Transformation Director to help us map the way as we diversify our product offering. Thanks once again for your feedback and continued contribution to our success.

Found 19 reviews