Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "pension"

Updated 14 Nov 2019

4.3
Shell Energy Retail CEO Colin Crooks
Colin Crooks
Pros
  • "Good benefits, regular feedback from managers, good working environment(in 19 reviews)

• "Their agile working environment allows for flexible working when required and is encouraged(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "pension"

Return to all Reviews

"Really impressed so far"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great salary - Flexibility to work at home 2 / 3 days a week or as required - Flexible hours promote a healthy work / life balance - Top of the range Mac Book Pro - Large car park with free electric charging - High quality cooked food and snacks on offer - Safety is top priority

Cons

- Benefits not as good as other places I've worked - Minimum pension - Toilets feel too public

December 18, 2019

Thanks so much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention the flexibility you have to get the best outcome from the effort you put into your work. Supporting our colleagues so that everyone has the opportunity to strive to be the best they can be is really important to us. Agile working is a key part of that culture, whether that's within the office environment, making use of project spaces, the atrium, the Den, hot-desking, or utilising the flexibility to work from home. I'm also really pleased to hear you mention our facilities. That's an area we've invested heavily in over the last 12 months. We extended the car park so that, as you highlight, there is ample free parking available on-site. As champions of sustainable energy, we also actively encourage our colleagues to look at environmentally friendly options such as electric vehicles for their commute and provide free EV charging for our colleagues. Our benefits package is always under review so I would encourage you to watch this space for some updates in the near future. Thank you for your continued contribution to our success, John.

2. "Pleased to join Shell Energy"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employee wellbeing programs Monday fruits Great on-boarding process for new developers 15" Macbook pro Enthusiastic team Great manager and team lead Flexible working hours Work from home Nice perks Table tennis Football table Massive car park Canteen with ok prices

Cons

Lack of sit/stand desks Cable management on desks could be better Pension scheme could be improved

December 18, 2019

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! Over the last year we have given a lot of attention to our employee well-being - physical, mental and financial - and you will see this continuing into 2020. As you highlight, one element of this is, wherever possible, promoting the benefits of agile and flexible working and it’s great that you have been able to avail of this. As you will be aware, over the last six months we have been upgrading our Coventry office and updating some seating arrangements. As part of this we have been trialling various options around desk layouts and are monitoring what works well with a view to potential further roll-out. In the interim, if you feel you would benefit from a sit/stand desk, please do pick up with the Facilities team who can arrange an assessment. We want you to work safely. Great to have you as part of the team, John.

"Lack of Security"

I worked at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

Some genuinely nice people to work with.

Cons

Awful salary and pension. First perks does not make up for this. Nobody gets actually promoted only secondment and "glide paths", you show faith in the company and they reward you with a lot of extra work and for some reason could make you wait almost a year for the salary you were promised. This shows that the company does not trust its employees and at the very least does not want to pay them for the job they are doing. It is well known that external hires are vastly overpaid, yet there is confusion about why people want to leave. The company culture is not professional for the majority, though it likes to pretend to be. A day in work can feel like a day in school, which makes it difficult to remain positive. I am happy I left but I really hope that they learn to take pride in their employees and behave more like an adult business.

October 29, 2018Head of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to read that you've left us with these views, it really isn't the culture that we aim to foster. We encourage everyone to take responsibility for their development and make the most of the support available to reach their full potential. We've had some fantastic development stories shared from colleagues who have taken part in our mentoring scheme and training courses for their career development as well as stories of progression in roles with us. We base our salaries on market rate and advertise available internal opportunities where possible. We do appoint externally as well, which is essential to bring new skills to our growing business. I'm disheartened to hear you felt that we don't value our employees, as without the dedication of our colleagues, we wouldn't be where we are today and looking forward to our future as part of Shell. We marked that with a significant celebration in the summer through our company-wide Lets Make The Future event, where our senior leaders shared their appreciation for our achievements and their vision for our next chapter. We also were proud to announce benefit updates for maternity, paternity and life assurance, following colleague feedback. Every day we see 'shout-outs' of gratitude via our internal online communities. Once again, I'm sorry your experience didn't truly reflect our culture. If you'd like to have a confidential conversation to discuss your feedback further, please do drop me an email and we can arrange a convenient time.

"Excellent place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexibly (Ability to work from home and start/finish times) - Base Salary is Competitive - Research days - to go and find out about new tools and start a conversation internally - Software department culture: cohesive, collaborative, friendly, and fast paced and strong agile delivery philosophy . - Innovative approaches with technology to new business needs with good open conversation with business stakeholders. - Excellent place to learn and develop. - I have found the high street stores discounts very useful (saved a few quid) - Fruity Friday (Free fruit on a Friday) - Management (In the Core Platform / Business Technology Group) is some of the best I have worked with. Clear communication - right from the start. Set clear expectations. Always happy to help remove blockers without mic

Cons

- Rest of benefits package (Pension, Maternity / Paternity etc) - Communication of long term vision (hopefully to be address in up coming company day) - Canteen lacks choice and is expensive - Facilities team are more often blockers than facilitators, for example booking rooms is like a game of roulette. Which leads to loss of efficiency and effectiveness.

June 25, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear you mention the pros of our approach to agile working. We've had some great feedback so far from colleagues taking advantage of working in ways to support productivity in their roles, from working at home, to working on the cafe tables by the coffee pod. Thank you for the positive feedback on our BTG Department especially, innovation in the tech space has always been a cornerstone of our culture and many of our colleagues comment on the collaboration between teams in this space - great to hear. It's been quite a journey for us bringing HQ in Warwick to our Coventry office and the improvements continue. Rooms have been a culprit for a bit of confusion certainly wherever I've worked in the past and I know this was a little more difficult when we all initially came together. Hopefully you've noticed the daily booking sheets on the door of each meeting room, which have helped communicate bookings and free time and save confusion/crossed wires. We know that with the growth and change we're fortunate enough to be experiencing, that we need to consider all things relevant to our people along that journey, as our people make our business. As an evolving company, those things won't go unnoticed. Thanks again for your feedback.

"Good company, need to brush up on employee retention"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues, great work/life balance, flexible working

Cons

Not enough cross training opportunities, not enough training altogether. Benefits are the bare minimum, no maternity/paternity pay, lowest pension contributions that are a must. Although it's a nice to have, in my opinion fruity Fridays and voucher schemes are not really a benefit.

Continue reading

"Culture, friends, mentors and more"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in development has always been - for me - a struggle to work in a place where the team work together, teach and learn from each other and with no elitism. Culture You are constantly encouraged to better yourself as an engineer from your team mates, leads, principles and above. Since being here my skill's have improved further as well as my knowledge and as a person. With the introduction of internal user groups for certain tech and presentations you can watch or give, the culture is a breath of fresh air. Team mates There is a lot of knowledge which is shared without any issues. Everyone is there to help whenever they can, from software engineers and up. Tools The world of web development is a fast paced and constantly changing, given the chance to explore with research days allows your knowledge to grow and the products we write then benefit. Our tool set is constantly growing.

Cons

Only one I can think of is to have a better pension contribution, but that is clutching at straws!

June 25, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your positive review! The collaboration and innovation in our tech teams is something we are proud of. Fostering that culture helps everyone to feel comfortable in sharing new ideas, knowledge and challenging thinking to help us pioneer in this ever-developing arena. We've had some great feedback on the research days, with that freedom to explore and expand on key areas of interest. Thank you for your contribution to our success and sharing your enjoyment of your role and team, long may that continue!

"They just want positive reviews- a discriminatory member of staff- bias from HR-the great cover-up by a senior employee"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer First Adviser in Coventry, England

I worked at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Initially, everything was going well and the training was fantastic. The 4 members of Staff were amazing and they let me perform my prayers during the 4 of 5 week training period. However, my group was meant to be given full 5 weeks of training, as that was part of the scheduled training programme. But we were only given 4 weeks of training. Whilst the other group were given full 5 weeks and my group was told by the discriminatory member of staff 'that you don't need training' not only is this a clear deviation from the required training programme but also preventing one to carry out their role adequately. Even though, a Senior Member of Staff, he clearly said to my group that 'you all still have 1 final week of training which is on the floor' We were told by the discriminatory member of staff that 'help' will be given by the floor walkers, but it was my group who had to walk the floor to get our customer queries resolved. The female floorwalkers were always helpful but the male floorwalkers were lazy and laid back. However, when the time for prayer commenced, the discriminatory member of staff prevented me from going to my prayers and stated that 'you can't go mate, regardless'. Even though I explained to him that, previously I've been permitted to go for my prayers by the other 4 members of staff. Therefore, I don't understand what's his problem? He responded that 'the rules here are different (even though it's still the same company) we can't have the entire row of people (pointing at the row in front) go for prayers'. I responded that the likelihood of that row going for prayers is very unlikely due to most being non-Muslim. I raised a grievance with HR but it was sugar coated by an obnoxious member of staff from HR as an 'issue of miscommunication' rather than religious discrimination. (The member of staff from HR wasn't impartial, if he was, it would've resulted in him acting contrary to his contract, which requires one to 'act in the best interest of the Company' regardless of anything else.) However, thereafter, I was permitted to go for my prayers, but 20 days before my probationary review meeting, I was told by the discriminatory member of staff that my probation is going to be extended. (Even though I was above target for my stats and I was never absent, as well as providing him with 21 customer accounts, whereby customers said that I've been helpful.) I spoke to a senior member of staff and he advised that 'it's your manager's job to gear you towards passing your probation and not failing it. Also, he needs a legitimate reason to extend your probation, not an illegitimate one.' Thereafter, I was constantly being micromanaged and having unnecessary 'coaching sessions' where the discriminatory team manager was using it as an opportunity to bully and harass me. I raised a grievance with HR but it was disregarded by a member of staff from HR and he told me that (the discriminatory member of staff) 'is a professional who wouldn't do that'. Not only is the above response inadequate, it doesn't negate the discriminatory member of staff's inappropriate behavior, nor does it justify extending my probation, 20 days before my probation review meeting. But I came to realise that the points raised in the grievance, were mentioned to the discriminatory member of staff via chat, by a member of staff from HR and those were the points that the discriminatory member of staff was now 'coincidentally' trying to now focus on so he can save himself. Eg I was told by the discriminatory member of staff that he'll give me coaching for Nelly questions. But I wasn't given a single coaching session and when I raised it with him he ignored it and when I raised a grievance about it, he stated that 'his password wasn't working and that's why he couldn't have the session'. I spoke to a Senior Member of Staff but she was not being impartial and was protecting the discriminatory member of staffs behaviour, as she was dependant on his team's stats. Therefore, she let me 'resign with immediate effect' at my 'discretion without force' so everything could be covered up by her. She said that 'she'll look into my concerns and it'll have no bearing on my reference' We left the room and she decided to converse with me about resigning, so the people on the 'floor' cannot know why I'm actually leaving (Religious discrimination, bullying attitude, an extension of my probation 20 days before review meeting) She didn't have the decency to walk me from my desk to out of the building, as she didn't want others to see or know about the true nature of her cover-up. Also, rather than discipline the discriminatory member of staff, she promoted him to a different department so a lid is placed on everything. Lastly, another team member within my team, she left before me and I don't blame her, as I can see why she left. Pros: -was never discriminated by the 4 members of staff during training -was permitted to perform my prayers -met good people throughout -helpful floorwalkers (some, not all) -others from HR are generally helpful and approachable

Cons

-discriminatory member of staff -A bias member of staff from HR who is subjective and not objective -constantly micromanaged -Treated as a number, not as a person -I was never off sick, but if you do get sick you'll not get sick pay -You're required to arrive 10-15 mins early each day, which is 50 minutes-1 hour 15mins per week. It's unpaid -I left without another job as it was that bad -It didn't apply to me, but you can't start a family, due to poor maternity and paternity pay -basic pension -Read the customer reviews about the company and some of its employees -Gossipy & nosey/ busybody culture within departments

Continue reading

"Good place to work, although can't be long term."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great supportive teams. Very good flexible working.

Cons

A pension contribution of 1% is not acceptable for a company of this size. I am aware that it is increased in line with the statutory minimum but this still is not acceptable. I don't know how I can stay at First Utility long term if this doesn't change significantly - I want to be able to stay but I don't think I can!

March 20, 2018Head of Talent

Thank you for your review. I'm really pleased to hear you mention flexibility in particular, as we've heard some fantastic stories from our colleagues so far on our approach to working in an agile way where it's a benefit to you and your role; whether it's working away from the standard desk space and making use of our dedicated agile working areas, or working from home. We've been fortunate to experience high growth as a company not yet 10 years old, leading to our recent celebration of becoming part of Shell's New Energies division and you are right, as a company of the size we now are, the time is right review policies and processes. Whilst this isn't something that can happen overnight, retention of our talented colleagues is paramount, as our people enable our business. We as HR will be working closely with Colin over the coming months as we begin this new chapter in our journey. It's heartening to hear that you want to stay with us, I do hope you will. Thank you for your continued contribution to our success.

"Decent"

Current Employee - Digital Service Executive in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are class, development opportunities are there if you take your job seriously, lots of overtime potential, interesting future for the business. Wage isn't too bad. The takeover from Shell looks to offer good expansion going forward.

Cons

Employee benefits - it's hard to see a serious long term career being built where there's such a poor pension (government minimum legal requirements), no maternity/paternity pay nor sick pay. No bonus' for either personal performance nor company performance. All we can seem to offer our employees in recruitment is free fruit on a Friday and some very minor discounts off some shops e.g. 4% off Tesco. Employee retention - The turnover of staff seems to be very high, although I don't know the actual %. We're losing very good staff in all areas of the business, potentially for the above reasons?

March 20, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review. It's great that like so many of our other reviews, our people are top of your list of pros, along with our development opportunities. We launched First Perks, our exclusive employee discount portal last year, based on colleague feedback, retail benefits was chosen and has been hugely popular. Since the launch of First Perks, followed by First Forward, our development portal, our colleagues have been more engaged with our other benefits, particularity private healthcare and external training, as well as our mentoring scheme. Now is the time of year where our teams enjoy their quarterly socials. We've had some teams going for dinner and other enjoying activities such as go-karting or archery. You are right, long term security is fundamental to a long-term career and I'm really glad to hear you want to stay with us. Starting out on our new chapter as part of Shell's New Energies division provides an opportunity for us to look at our policies and procedures and whilst this can't change overnight, continuous improvement will always be part of our future. Thanks once again for your review and your continued contribution to our success.

10. "Great company with great people"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

High paced, modern working environment with some excellent leaders. Internal development of colleagues is high on the agenda with a culture of looking out for the customer and each other. Also a Tech led business, which makes you feel like you work for more than just an average energy company. Firstperks allows colleagues to save money on everything from Christmas shopping to the next holiday away, 25 days holiday and competitive salaries.

Cons

Pension/Paternity/Maternity meets minimum statutory requirement

January 23, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention our excellent leadership and the importance we place on internal development. We certainly wouldn't be where we are today without the people that make our business. I love your choice of words that we have a culture of looking out for the customer and for each other! Fantastic statement, thank you! We will be adding to our benefits package this year and keep an eye out for some policy updates soon to be shared. Thanks again, Ellen.

Found 20 reviews